Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

_Lee_

Sith Lord
db94 said:
Just home - totally disappointed
Ian you have nailed it for me.

Major factor was the music - just didn't click with me, didn't sound like a SW film (apart from the obvious Han Leia parts)
Weak story, very rushed, nope not impressed. Have tickets for another showing tomorrow but I'll be giving them away.

Oh and ****in hated the Daniel Craig cameo!!!

Regarding the music. I heard that JJ wanted someone else to do it, and that person said that Williams HAD to do it.

Im glad many of you enjoyed the film and hopefully you got what you wanted from it :)

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
A soulless film that lacked any originality in my opinion. I don't think there's any future direction for Star Wars based on the PT and this. Killing a major OT character will divide the existing fan base and for what? It didn't give any more depth to Kylo Ren's character by killing his dad, he still came across as a sulky teenager. No more Disney dollars from me.

Carl Waterworth

Jedi Master
I really enjoyed it, but its nagging me that it had too many ANH similarities, it left me wanting more and wondering who or what is Snookes history? Very disappointed with Phasma, probably the Boba Fett of the movie, but she didn't do anything and was she relevant to the movie?
Who is Rey? I think she is the daughter of Skywalker! And Han being killed off expected!

Anyway I will be going to see it again :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Carl,

IMHO Phasma was a marketing ploy. They thought that a Fett type character would bring in the dollars, and many people got sucked in.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
It was ****ing brilliant, I loved it! I was going tonight (which I may still do) but ended up going at midnight on my own. Met up outside with Ben for a pint which was cool. When it started I was buzzing like a little kid. Seeing that logo and hearing the music - awesome! It wasn't perfect, there are a few minor issues and your anticipation and love of the originals will inevitably effect your view. All I know is there were several moments when I had a lump in my throat and/or a massive grin on my face. It was Star Wars for me, I was fully immersed and it was a great experience. The kids are going to love it, big thumbs up from me. As for people slagging it off who haven't even seen it...! Ridiculous :roll: :lol:

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Robstyley said:
As for people slagging it off who haven't even seen it...! Ridiculous :roll: :lol:

Seriously, has nobody here ever slagged a film off without seeing it? I would hazard a guess everyone has at some time or another. That includes saying something like 'its a girly flick' or 'its for kids' etc

mumbo

Sith Lord
I did enjoy it but am also left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. They tried to hard to appease the OT fans with the continuous nods to SW, ESB and ROTJ I knew there'd be some but for me too many.

The story seemed to jump at lightspeed in places and it felt rushed although it started well and promised much.

Loved the vehicles and seeing the main characters again and Rey was brilliant, wow she is some actress and great to watch. I like the story behind Kylo Ren and he is an interesting character, I think Rey is going to turn him good again within the next two films.

Rey will be the child of Skywalker but there is no mother, born by immaculate conception and yes Luke gave birth to her!

I am looking forward to the next one which is a good sign and I have another showing on Saturday which will help with my somewhat confused opinion.

Now the BIG question...... how the **** does Luke keep his robes looking so good on that desolate remote island unless of course there is a dry cleaners on the next island.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
mumbo said:
Now the BIG question...... how the **** does Luke keep his robes looking so good on that desolate remote island unless of course there is a dry cleaners on the next island.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiu2-aeu-LJAhWKChoKHYZ5DQIQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dryclean.ie%2F&usg=AFQjCNEcPQ_crZqet8J-WiDFd7PYSh1yFQ&bvm=bv.110151844,d.d24
:lol:

mumbo

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
mumbo said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiu2-aeu-LJAhWKChoKHYZ5DQIQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dryclean.ie%2F&usg=AFQjCNEcPQ_crZqet8J-WiDFd7PYSh1yFQ&bvm=bv.110151844,d.d24
:lol:

Thank you for clearing that one up :)

grinchy

Sith Lord
Well i'm in the loved it camp, i thought it was great, had its flaws but i can live with that, still digesting it really, i wish they hadn't glazed over how they found the sabre, and hans death scene sorta screamed out contractually obligated death coming up, but yeah i really liked it
can't wait for the next one, sorry that some of you are disapointed in it, but for me it was a winner!

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I'm still taking it all in. :)
A few things that are niggling me - Rey and Finn both seemed to do pretty well with a lightsabre against a highly trained Ren despite never being trained themselves! Also Mark Hamill doesn't utter one word in the film!!?

Ships were awesome but as usual the 3D was annoying - especially in the middle of the night!

I enjoyed it but didn't blow me away and its deliberately created with sequels in mind whereas Lucas never really knew if EP4 was going to be successful so works as a complete story on its own.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Totally mixed feelings myself. I slept on it rather than post last night to try to be more considered.

A lot I really liked and a lot that was just meh... I'm sadly drawn to be more negative about it as it was riddled with issues, BUT, it was a good watch, just not great and certainly not (even outside of the SW fandom) a great film in its own right... Just good at best.
I feel when the hype dies down, it will eventually be viewed more honestly and therefore sadly more negatively than positively, but haters gonna hate and all that...
Most of Ian C comments are spot on. It is a rehash of all that went before with little to nothing new or innovative... But after 40 years any sequel needed to do just that, it also needed (and achieved) to wash away some of he percieved stains of the prequels; a trilogy I openly like for what they are... Kids action/sci-fi films... So on that score it's a success too.

The bad:
- Lots of very poor acting from all involved; both Ridley and Boyega were playing very flat 2D characters and somehow they managed to make them flatter. I suspect this isn't helped by such a rushed (tut tut JJ) directorial introduction to them, to each other and their character arcs.
- Phasma was beyond disappointing, almost pointless.
- Kylo Ren really should not have removed his helmet, Adam Driver's performance out of the mask gave me flash backs to Hayden Christiansen... His syrupy **** attempt was very disappointing... I get aping the young Anakin as a basis for the performance, but it's just bad. With the mask on though... Wow, one of the best things in it by a mile.
- Some surprisingly poor effects on the CGI front, which I thought was unforgivable, thankfully though this was only obviously delivered in small portions.
- Too many jokes for jokes sake without the adult subtlety I'd hoped and expected from the team involved.
- the end... Wtf... Pathetically long drawn out shots a real shame.

The good:
- Real effects (in the main), this was a massive bonus and brought the whole film to a state of reality and gave it a true SW feel.
- It's back... Need I say more on that score?!?
- It not only looked like SW, it sounded like it too.
- X-wings in flight!!!
- Tie Fighters in flight!!!
- despite the tragic introduction... IT'S THE MILLENIUM FALCON!!!
- Kylo Ren... Real potential to be an awesome baddy... Just keep the helmet on please.
- Poe is great too, think I'm going to enjoy the hot shot jocks growth as a character and if handled right the relationship with Finn could be an absolute gem in future films,felt like they really clicked.
- there is more (and I truly suspect better) to come, EP7 is a clear building block for the coming trilogy :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Really loved it, wasn't sure at 3am. But after 4 hours sleeping on it, was so much fun to watch. Can't wait for the next one. :lol: :shock:

I need to go see it again as well.

Only thing that did my head in was the trailers before. :roll:

lejackal

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Was I the only one hoping to see the Rogue One trailer only to be disappointed? That said there is alot of Marvel goodness coming next year

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
A great start to the new franchise, but an incredibly sad one.

It's one thing to keep spoiler free on the internet, but keeping it from people you see face to face is hard. They can see it.

:cry:

Jason

SammyJ

Padawan
DWell . . . . So much to take in, so I decided to sleep on it.

I have decided that I am overall happy with the film. It had the feel of OT, the special fx, vehicles etc. we're fantastic! There were many moments where I had goosebumps and others were I laughed a lot. I want it again and also very much looking forward to the next film.

The only negative I had was the soundtrack. I just wasn't feeling it the same way I have in the previous films. The parts of the soundtrack I enjoyed were from the OT.

I say bring on the next film, great start to the next trilogy! 8)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
lejackal said:
theforceuk said:
Was I the only one hoping to see the Rogue One trailer only to be disappointed? That said there is alot of Marvel goodness coming next year

Yes I waited for the end of the credits and nothing, wife was not happy! Who started that rumour bet their having a laugh. :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
mumbo said:
I did enjoy it but am also left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. They tried to hard to appease the OT fans with the continuous nods to SW, ESB and ROTJ I knew there'd be some but for me too many.

The story seemed to jump at lightspeed in places and it felt rushed although it started well and promised much.

Loved the vehicles and seeing the main characters again and Rey was brilliant, wow she is some actress and great to watch. I like the story behind Kylo Ren and he is an interesting character, I think Rey is going to turn him good again within the next two films.

Rey will be the child of Skywalker but there is no mother, born by immaculate conception and yes Luke gave birth to her!

I am looking forward to the next one which is a good sign and I have another showing on Saturday which will help with my somewhat confused opinion.

Luke gave birth to her, you need to go to the doctor :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Carl Waterworth said:
Oh and 3PO having a red arm, then his final scene he had a gold one again.....pointless! :roll:

Damn I did not see that, I thought he had a red one from start to end :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom