Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa - COA & Update

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
One thing that's always surprised me is collectors unwillingness to pay for shipping costs. They will happily spend £300 on a 30 year old £1.50 toy, but if you tell them it will cost £15 to send it half way round the planet, you get abuse hurled at you :lol: I have certainly gone to the trouble of picking up fragile items in person before, I drove all the way to Leicester once. I wouldn't trust this particular figure with a courier.

Back to the price, there certainly are other benchmarks. Rocket Firing Fett's sell for over 10k and there are about a dozen of those I believe, maybe even more. DT Ben and Vader MOCs have sold for over 10k and again there are multiples of each known to exist. So if this really is one of a kind, the price is justified IMO, to the right person.

Palifan

Sith Lord
It's a big price to ask for sure but I'm guessing this is based on both offers Richard has had already as well as advice. The recent sale of the Uzay collection just goes to prove that there are people out there with enough money to buy these things. Saying that I'm not sure if this would make this the most expensive Star Wars figure ever but it is an official release and at the moment one of a kind.

The end of the day I'm sure it will find it's price in the end and make both the buyer and seller very happy. I'm sure there's a high profile collector out there who wouldn't miss the money and if it's the one piece they're missing then they might just have to pull the trigger on it.

Best of luck with it. :D

PGowdy

Grand Master
JuniorChubb said:
tundra9 said:
All I meant was if you have that kind of money to throw at a toy, a plane ride to acquire said piece would cost a mere fraction of it.

Sorry it wasn't aimed at you Tundra :wink: Just liked your travelling comment. :D

PGowdy said:
Yes but as i said, we're now talking about millionaires.
We're not talking about a few 100 quid here Chubb, it 35K!!!
So as said before, you need to be a nut-job or a millionaire to fork that out for a fragile vintage toy. That could be damaged with the change in direction of a strong breeze.
You say it's the equivalent to you spending £100 on a toy. Fair doos. Lets say you earn 20k a year. That's 1 200th of your yearly income. So for a 35k spend to be the equivalent, said buyer would need to be earning 7million a year. :lol: :lol: If he does then fair doos. Who cares about 35k when you have that sort of money. I wouldn't even think twice. Hell, i'd probably open it. :lol:

Exactly its all relevant, we can't have a dig a someone spending that much money when to the average joe we are bonkers spending £50 on a figure.

The buyer of this figure may be crazy to most collectors, but remember we are crazy to most non-collectors, and you summed it up yourself, if you earn't more than enough you would buy the figure, you don't so its considered crazy.

The crazy part would be opening it... :shock: Didn't have you down with the U grades Pete :lol: :lol:

I don't see anything crazy going on here unless the buyer uses 6 credit cards to finance the purchase, or sells one of their kids maybe...

Yes i know but what i was getting at is that it's unlikely to be someone who earns 7million a year buying it. I think you are much closer with the taking out mortgages and spreading payments over 7 credit cards which is why i think some people would consider it a bit nuts to fork out 35k for something so fragile. Repeating myself a bit now but i wasn't having a dig per say. And the issue i was bringing up was more the fragility of such a piece how it could so easily be broken and not even a millionaire would be comfortable risking that. Just finding it hard to justify and as i stated in my very first post, IF YOU'RE NOT a millionaire. Then you are nuts. Simple. Don't get me wrong i think it's great and i hope someone nutter buys it for his collection. It's an amazing piece and he'll be the envy of all.... but still a complete nut-case. (i re-state OR a millionaire but i don't think a millionaire will be buying this. imo)

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
JuniorChubb said:
tundra9 said:
All I meant was if you have that kind of money to throw at a toy, a plane ride to acquire said piece would cost a mere fraction of it.

Sorry it wasn't aimed at you Tundra :wink: Just liked your travelling comment. :D

PGowdy said:
Yes but as i said, we're now talking about millionaires.
We're not talking about a few 100 quid here Chubb, it 35K!!!
So as said before, you need to be a nut-job or a millionaire to fork that out for a fragile vintage toy. That could be damaged with the change in direction of a strong breeze.
You say it's the equivalent to you spending £100 on a toy. Fair doos. Lets say you earn 20k a year. That's 1 200th of your yearly income. So for a 35k spend to be the equivalent, said buyer would need to be earning 7million a year. :lol: :lol: If he does then fair doos. Who cares about 35k when you have that sort of money. I wouldn't even think twice. Hell, i'd probably open it. :lol:

Exactly its all relevant, we can't have a dig a someone spending that much money when to the average joe we are bonkers spending £50 on a figure.

The buyer of this figure may be crazy to most collectors, but remember we are crazy to most non-collectors, and you summed it up yourself, if you earn't more than enough you would buy the figure, you don't so its considered crazy.

The crazy part would be opening it... :shock: Didn't have you down with the U grades Pete :lol: :lol:

I don't see anything crazy going on here unless the buyer uses 6 credit cards to finance the purchase, or sells one of their kids maybe...

Yes i know but what i was getting at is that it's unlikely to be someone who earns 7million a year buying it. I think you are much closer with the taking out mortgages and spreading payments over 7 credit cards which is why i think some people would consider it a bit nuts to fork out 35k for something so fragile. Repeating myself a bit now but i wasn't having a dig per say. And the issue i was bringing up was more the fragility of such a piece how it could so easily be broken and not even a millionaire would be comfortable risking that. Just finding it hard to justify and as i stated in my very first post, IF YOU'RE NOT a millionaire. Then you are nuts. Simple. Don't get me wrong i think it's great and i hope someone nutter buys it for his collection. It's an amazing piece and he'll be the envy of all.... but still a complete nut-case. (i re-state OR a millionaire but i don't think a millionaire will be buying this. imo)

I get you. I suppose it also comes down to our definitions of crazy too.

Personally I wouldn't spend it unless it was small change to me, but that's probably why my loose run ground to a halt when I got to the Last 17... :oops:

It will be interesting to see who is in the running to pick up this piece...

Richard_H

Grand Master
£35k is almost 8K more than I paid for my house :lol:

I don't think anyone has had a 'dig' about the price. Someone will pay it. Perhaps someone will pay it to flip in 10 years time or so? Joe's carded Headman is/was FS around the 25K mark wasn't it?

But personally I agree with most comments - as an outsider everything we pay is OTT. But as a collector we have different levels (and it's not just about what we can afford) You can have those who will pay, those who can but won't, those who can't but would, those who can't and wouldn't, those who can't but would sell / do without to do so..... etc

So as most comments made are subjective I believe that even if I could afford this (which I could never justify and would have to spread it out over quite a time) I simply wouldn't. If I was a millionaire along the lines of Brian May then it's a sneeze and good luck to Richard for getting the price.

itfciain

Grand Master
Here's your hit list

Ben Affleck (actor)
Alice Cooper (rock singer) Is rumoured to have attended Celebration 1 in Denver (see http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=472627)
Leonardo DiCaprio (actor) Sold off a lot of his vintage stuff in the early 2000's?
Seth Green (animator)
David Mandel (writer for "Seinfeld")http://www.jewcy.com/daily_shvitz/seinfeld_writer_marries_his_man_hands_shiksa
Brian May (rock guitarist) See http://www.compulsiongallery.com/brianmay.html and http://www.brianmay.com/brian/magsandpress/okjun98/okjun98.html
Pink (pop singer) Not a collector per se, but reportedly she takes her childhood SW toys along wherever she travels.
Christian Slater (actor) Referenced in Dec. 1994 "Playboy" magazine, and Jan. 1995 "The Face" magazine. Also see http://movies.sacticket.com/movies/person/detail?id=7159
Rick Springfield (rock singer) See http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_3994176 and http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/rickspring375873.html
Jeordie White, aka Twiggy Ramirez (Marilyn Manson's bassist) Collects autographs and toys. See http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_200/212_top_10_list.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I would also add the owner of Bathing Ape clothing to Iain's list there. His collection is unreal. 8)

With regards to the pricing, of course the seller is entitled to ask whatever he likes for the piece especially if he has had offers in the region of £35k which I assume he has from his comments.

From a wider perspective, if this piece is deemed to be worth £35k it wouldn't coincide with any one of a kind production items that I have heard of. In fact I have been offered a couple of one of a kind production items for a lot less than half this price. In fact,£35k would buy you several one of a kind preproduction items!

I think what has really fuelled this piece is the whole backstory. The controversy. The initial questions over its existence. Perhaps that has added "value?" I was however under the impression that another one of these was seen at the Elstree studio day a while back? If so; and that gets graded, what would happen to the price of this? It is an interesting question to ponder for sure, although purely speculative.

Is it worth 35k? Who knows? A live auction would really be the best way of telling but whatever happens, I will say good luck to Rich on the sale. Its a cool piece! :D

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Caswellbot said:
I think what has really fuelled this piece is the whole backstory. The controversy. The initial questions over its existence. Perhaps that has added "value?" I was however under the impression that another one of these was seen at the Elstree studio day a while back? If so; and that gets graded, what would happen to the price of this? It is an interesting question to ponder for sure, although purely speculative.

This is it for me. There are plenty of unique Star Wars items out there, from Wookie Potato Crisps to Prototypes and First Shots (guessing at the last two :wink:) but I don't think any of them stir up the passion and controversy of this piece, especially in the UK.

I enjoyed the mystique of the Rocket firing Fett when I got into collecting and I feel its this mystique that keeps the price up rather than the quantity of the item, similar to Yaks in the US (on a much smaller scale though), plenty of them about but the price stays high(ish) for a quite common loose figure worldwide.

Can't wait to see what happens when others are discovered/authenticated...

@Iain @Cc thanks for the celebrity update :wink:

PGowdy

Grand Master
JuniorChubb said:
Caswellbot said:

This is it for me. There are plenty of unique Star Wars items out there, from Wookie Potato Crisps to Prototypes and First Shots (guessing at the last two :wink:) but I don't think any of them stir up the passion and controversy of this piece, especially in the UK.

I enjoyed the mystique of the Rocket firing Fett when I got into collecting and I feel its this mystique that keeps the price up rather than the quantity of the item, similar to Yaks in the US (on a much smaller scale though), plenty of them about but the price stays high(ish) for a quite common loose figure worldwide.
:

Yes absolutely agree with this. Often the rarity is only a small part of the reason things fetch a fortune. Like someone said earlier 10s of thousands of VC Jawas and yet they command ridiculous money. Why, the story, no other reason.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palitoy-12-Back-VC-Jawa-AFA-75-Holy-Grail-Ultimate-Palitoy-Piece-/261217442429?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3cd1c5da7d

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
[youtube]Kaouy4QT9vE[/youtube]

Good luck with the sale :D I would make an offer but er um well. I don't get that much pocket money...

walkie

Sith Lord
I imagine eBay and paypal are rubbing their hands waiting to get there hands on the fees! :)

mumbo

Sith Lord
And 5000 :eek: nectar points :D

Hope the feedback rating doesn't put people off. Good luck with the sale :)

Just out of interest, how many watchers?

PGowdy

Grand Master
JuniorChubb said:
Isn't it something like 10% of sale up to a max of £75?

I think :?

That's bullshit tho. I've heard that before but it's not how it works out. They take 10%. End of. I sold a Camera for 700 once and the fees were £70 plus PP's 4%. I dare say the fees on 35k would be about 3,500 plus about a grand to PP.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom