Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa - COA & Update

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Frunkstar said:
If you don't mind me asking? - why sell it at all, surely this must be the pinnacle of palitoy collecting for such a palitoy enthusiast as yourself, why not sell other you could more easily replace at a later date if you need funds, as its not like your ever going to get another stab at owning one of these.

Actually I think that now this one has been graded, it is likely more (not many) will surface. This is for 2 reasons:

1) Any items that attracts huge interest/money triggers a search for them and more tend to come out of the woodwork
2) Prior to this all examples would have been considered fakes, but now anybody with one will also want to send it off for grading. I believe based on this thread alone there are a couple of others that possibly exist.

Not detracting from it at all, just what I think will happen.

itfciain

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Frunkstar said:
If you don't mind me asking? - why sell it at all, surely this must be the pinnacle of palitoy collecting for such a palitoy enthusiast as yourself, why not sell other you could more easily replace at a later date if you need funds, as its not like your ever going to get another stab at owning one of these.

Actually I think that now this one has been graded, it is likely more (not many) will surface. This is for 2 reasons:

1) Any items that attracts huge interest/money triggers a search for them and more tend to come out of the woodwork
2) Prior to this all examples would have been considered fakes, but now anybody with one will also want to send it off for grading. I believe based on this thread alone there are a couple of others that possibly exist.

Yeah, I think Edd is right - especially if this goes to some form of public auction - I don't know what the record is for a carded figure but this must be in with a shout of getting close - so if there are anymore out there then people are going to be tempted to sell.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
edd_jedi said:
Frunkstar said:

Yeah, I think Edd is right - especially if this goes to some form of public auction - I don't know what the record is for a carded figure but this must be in with a shout of getting close - so if there are anymore out there then people are going to be tempted to sell.

What do you think this will do to the price of the 4 opened examples that are known out there? Mine cost me £500 a few years ago which is a few hundred quid on the cost of a loose vinyl cape jawa. Will collectors be making do with reseals because they must have one?

Jason

itfciain

Grand Master
The opened examples now have provenance so they must be worth a great deal more than £500 now - trouble is, how do you prove 100% that it was a VC Jawa in there?

Caswellbot

Sith Lord

Yeah, I think Edd is right - especially if this goes to some form of public auction - I don't know what the record is for a carded figure but this must be in with a shout of getting close - so if there are anymore out there then people are going to be tempted to sell.[/quote]

What do you think this will do to the price of the 4 opened examples that are known out there? Mine cost me £500 a few years ago which is a few hundred quid on the cost of a loose vinyl cape jawa. Will collectors be making do with reseals because they must have one?

Jason[/quote]

That's a tricky question. It depends very much on the collector. Some may be content with this option but I can see others having very different views. Reseals are always a sticky point. forgive the pun. Especially in these circumstances where the real rarity and calue lies in the combination of figure and cardback being together. It is clear to see that just looking at this case of the sealed example there is still a pinch of doubt despite grading. With a reseal I feel there will be too much doubt out there for it to make a significant impact on value. I would say you paid a fair price for it. It may be worth more to some collectors but I bet in the other some may not even be willing to pay what you paid for it.. I guess the proof is in the auction of such a thing or even better, the sale of a few to establish a more accurate market value.

Price aside. As a palitoy collector it would seem that you are happy with having the piece in your collection and rightly so. It has sparked a genuine enthusiasm about the piece and that much is evident from your involvement in the revelations. Anything that does that has got to be a good thing.

Chris.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
The opened examples now have provenance so they must be worth a great deal more than £500 now - trouble is, how do you prove 100% that it was a VC Jawa in there?

If you read my write up on my cardback page, the 3 bubble types found on palitoy cards exactly match those used on Kenner cards. The fact that they used an R2D2 bubble as a stop gap temporary measure until the new bubble for the cloth cape could be manufactured would indicate that it is not physically possible to get a cloth cape into a vinyl bubble because the bubble is too small. A test has been done on one of the four opened vinyl caped bubbles with a cloth cape inserted into it. The owner said it looked ridiculous. That coupled with the fact that there is no sealed example of a cloth cape in a vinyl bubble on either Palitoy or Kenner cards is evidence enough in my opinion. Plus some of the opened examples that have come to market have good provenance to indicate they came with the original vinyl cape jawas they were sold with.

:)

Jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
The Palitoy VCJ opened bubble (slice to the top) that sold on Australian ebay a few years a go went for about 225GBP. It was a really clean example but came without the figure. I'm feeling this is around the price for this piece without the jawa but who knows what would happen if one came up.

The one thing we should double check is if the R2 style Jawa bubble is the same bubble as R2's. I can't get to mine, and I'm sure it is but I'm sure I recently read that the Kenner one wasn't the same as R2's (could have been a dream though). maybe someone who has one they can get to could take a look?

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
The Palitoy VCJ opened bubble (slice to the top) that sold on Australian ebay a few years a go went for about 225GBP. It was a really clean example but came without the figure. I'm feeling this is around the price for this piece without the jawa but who knows what would happen if one came up.

The one thing we should double check is if the R2 style Jawa bubble is the same bubble as R2's. I can't get to mine, and I'm sure it is but I'm sure I recently read that the Kenner one wasn't the same as R2's (could have been a dream though). maybe someone who has one they can get to could take a look?

Sorry, don't know much about Palitoys so bear with me. Is the bubble different on the Palitoy VCJ to the Palitoy cloth cape Jawa then? otherwise how would you know the Palitoy Jawa cardback/bubble that sold on ebay a few years ago belonged to a VCJ?

Palifan

Sith Lord
The Palitoy VCJ bubble is the same shape as the Kenner VCJ one. There were 2 other bubbles used for the Jawa 12 back run on both Kenner and Palitoy, the R2 style one and the one with a slanted front (when looking from the side).

I contacted the ausralian seller (whom I'm not sure where he was from the UK and Oz), about the item and I know he paid a fair amount for it when he bought it. I didn't ask for any real information about it as at the time I always thought these things existed due to the fact I had one as a child (although there has been debate about if that was a Kenner one like the orange snake Yoda I had when it was first realeased in the UK).
I'm not sure who won that auction but it would be nice to hear about it if it was someone on here.

Ian

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
JuniorChubb said:
If Rich does not mind disclosing how much it sells for can we run a raffle on the selling price? While this is still officially a 'one of a kind' it is the ideal time to sell and 'silly money' might be an under-estimation.

Either way, great piece and I am can't wait to see where it ends up.

Good luck with the sale and I hope it goes smoothly. :D

Even better Rich can organize the most epic, unforgetable Free raffle of all times if he likes, no need to auction this piece. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serious, i like to see this go with a public auctiln aswell.

plantman

Sith Lord
if you go to a public auction make sure you advertise the auction on ALL forums and collectors shops beforehand, do some major marketing for a few weeks first.

sort out your postage options too, dont want a "item never arrived" case LOL, cash on collection only :)

theslider

Sith Lord
plantman said:
if you go to a public auction make sure you advertise the auction on ALL forums and collectors shops beforehand, do some major marketing for a few weeks first.

sort out your postage options too, dont want a "item never arrived" case LOL, cash on collection only :)

For the money this is going to go for I'd delivery it by hand!

Further to what Edd said, others will come up for sale if this goes for silly money, but remember the AFA Palitoy Chewbacca just a month or so ago - that didn't (I think) sell for about £4000 despite Dr Pittenstein's one going for £5600.

General Kahn

Youngling

Big time important! A colossal modern and vintage Star Wars collection, which included all the last 17 (loose) and an Imperial Shuttle just to mention about 1% of the entire lot, sold for 80 quid in a local public auction near me a few years ago.
It was confiscated by bailffs from a collector and no advertising of any kind was done!

Black Falcon

Padawan
Palifan said:
The Palitoy VCJ bubble is the same shape as the Kenner VCJ one. There were 2 other bubbles used for the Jawa 12 back run on both Kenner and Palitoy, the R2 style one and the one with a slanted front (when looking from the side).

I contacted the ausralian seller (whom I'm not sure where he was from the UK and Oz), about the item and I know he paid a fair amount for it when he bought it. I didn't ask for any real information about it as at the time I always thought these things existed due to the fact I had one as a child (although there has been debate about if that was a Kenner one like the orange snake Yoda I had when it was first realeased in the UK).
I'm not sure who won that auction but it would be nice to hear about it if it was someone on here.

Ian

I did not win it by auction, but this piece is now in my collection
- Graham

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom