What Were Your 3 Favourite Non-SW Toy Lines Growing Up?

PGowdy

Grand Master
In the spirit of getting back to talking about toys i thought i'd start this discussion.

So the question is simple What Were Your 3 Favourite Non-SW Toy Lines Growing Up? Not now but back then.

(In brackets are my rough years of interest in each line)

My first choice was easy. For a few years i was absolutely mad for these toys. They captured the imagination unlike any other toy that went before or has come since. I was into them every bit as much as Star Wars.

1. Transformers (1984-1988)

Screenshot2012-06-29at180247.png
1256662481_BdMjytw2kKGrHqMH-CcErfFMM1t5BK31GgFg_35.png

My second choice is a unique toy-line, in many ways, which unlike most others wasn't really attached to any film or tv show. It just had so much variation and excellently designed figures which is why, i believe, it still remains so collectable today.
Tho i was aware of the earlier stream of this toy-line (Palitoy?) i only really got into it when it got more colourful and mirrored the american GI Joe line. I believe the line changed to Hasbro at that point. Correct me if i'm wrong i'm not an expert.

2. Action Force (2nd gen) (1987-1990)

KGrHqIOKo0E5kdoV3OUBOjbikuRCQ_35.png
Screenshot2012-06-29at182823-1.png

My 3rd choice was a difficult one and i had to really think back. I was into so many different toys as a kid. If it was released i pretty much had at least one figure from the line. From He-Man, Thundercats, Go Bots, Visionaries, M.A.S.K, Centurions to Police Academy, Boglins, Bionic Six, Mad-Balls, WWF, Karate Kid or A-Team (i could go on).
But i remember in the late-ish 80s when this tv show was all the rage, this toy line excited me more than any other. The action figures were much bigger and brighter than anything else around and the cards they were on were huge. They were also more expensive than most other action figures at the time so you sometimes had to either wait an age to get your hands on one or wait to go round THAT friends who's nan bought him every figure in the line, and play with his.

3. The Real Ghostbusters (1986-1987)

RGBtoysclassiclineusa.png

So there you have it. Those were my top 3.
What were yours??

itfciain

Grand Master
We were too poor to have our own toys but when I used to go round my mates house the only other toys they had were either transformers or he-man

By we did live out in ipswich so i think things got there very slowly

silver grin

Sith Lord
Supporter
Only ones I remember playing with apart from Star Wars were Silverhawks, Thundercats and Starcom

Looking back now, we had all of the Thundercats.... if only I kept them on the cards :roll:

Clone Collector

Padawan
Hmmm, well....pondering this as I type, the number 1 fave except SW would have to be Transformers, no doubt.

The second would have to have been Action Man, had a fair few of them, including Tonka vehicles that doubled as his vehicles of choice.

The third was He-Man. I sadly sold all of them to my Mom's mate who wanted some toys for her kids Christmas present. The collection included Castle Grey Skull, Battle Cat and roughly 10 of the figures including He-man, Skeletor, Man at Arms, Ram-Man ect...

I dabbled in the A-team too but didn't get into that much.

:D :D

Clone Collector

Padawan
Dude, do you mean Terrahawks?

If so, I used to have a few of the toys, the bally looking robot was one.

Oh and I forgot the Black Hole figures too, had all of them, minus the rare Humanoid Robot and Bob.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I did not have that many toys either as it was a one parent family & cash was tight, but I did have a fair bit of lego & some playmobile stuff also had a few nice matchbox cars, when I was a little older I remember having some Zoids which were pretty cool, I did save up myself to get an Atari 2600 with 3 games which got used to death, boy did I kill pac man on it - thanks for bringing back some good memory's Pete :)

Clone Collector

Padawan
Some great toys mentioned so far.

Zoids, now there is a name from the past. I had the small ones, and two of the bigger ones for Christmas and birthdays...Only had a small amount of BSG, maybe two figures if that..

spoons

Grand Master
A tricky one, I probably had 4 main other toys

Lego, Action Man, Britain's soldiers/cowboys etc and MAC

All from around 1979-84

The soldiers (and my lego space) are the only toys I have left from my youth

25thJune2009020.jpg

mac1.jpg

steesh

Padawan
Looking back collected action force after star wars. Lego throughout. Then although not a toy was pannini sticker albums. still got Mexico 86 completed. Looked at it the other day and was laughing as I have tried to forge all the Aberdeen player signatures on the Scotland pages.

spoons

Grand Master
tiefighterboy said:
Mobile Action Command was a great line of toys. I have one of the vehicles left from my childhood collection.

I'd love to collect them again, I had the mountain base in the pic but I think it got trashed a long time ago

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
spoons said:
tiefighterboy said:
Mobile Action Command was a great line of toys. I have one of the vehicles left from my childhood collection.

I'd love to collect them again, I had the mountain base in the pic but I think it got trashed a long time ago

I think these toys are quite pricey and hard to find now...............from what I know.

ewok13

Padawan
1. Trash Bag Bunch
2. FOA (Fistful of Aliens)
3. MIMP (Ninja Warriors)

Love my childhood rubber figures :D

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Dude this is tough.....

1)ActionForce/Action Man (count this as one)

2)Subuteo

3)Warhammer/Crossbow and Catapults ( :wink: counts as one again)

That was tough (Warhammer just pipped Transformers). Actions Force replaced Star Wars for a few years, Subuteo was always on the scene (played quite recently, knocks spots of footy on the PS3) and Warhammer/Crossbows and catapults was great as I could still play these when I was too old for games :D

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Yeah his one made me think:

1. M.A.S.K. ( Out side of Star Wars my favourite for sure, the playability was second to none.)

2. MOTU

3. Transformers.

Never had many of the above though, like others on here I had a rich mate who's parents bought him everything so I'd just play with his instead!

My folks ( Love em ) had no idea about toy trends I remember I desperately wanted a He-Man one year and ended up with Clawful instead, three weeks I looked at the package under the tree in the familiar MOTU shape thinking it was He-Man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PGowdy

Grand Master
steesh said:
Looking back collected action force after star wars. Lego throughout. Then although not a toy was pannini sticker albums. still got Mexico 86 completed. Looked at it the other day and was laughing as I have tried to forge all the Aberdeen player signatures on the Scotland pages.

Uh oh, did someone mention stickers?... :D
Have you seen my Panini collection Steve??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom