Top FIVE Vintage items that YOU own (TAKE PICTURES!) v2013

olisuds

Sith Lord
Here are my top 5 items! It was a tough choice putting them in order but I think I've finally decided. I've taken these pictures and the descriptions from my limelight on rebelscum. There are lots more photos with the rest of my collection if you want to see them. http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1062887/

5) Lando General First Shot Prototype with Sample Pink Cape (middle)
4) Lando General First Shot Prototype with sample Blue Cape (left)

Both are undated first shots with non production colour sample capes. They also have some minor differences in the paint and gloss from the final production figure. Both these prototypes originate from Intergalactic Trading Co and were sold at Celebration I in 1999 with several other prototype items. I bought them from James Gallo last year. I believe there is another pink cape Lando General in existence - although I haven't seen it. To my knowledge this is the only blue cape Lando General to exist.

P1010061x.JPG

3) 8D8 protomold with detachable limbs

This 8D8 Protomold was sold by The Earth several years ago and has since had 2 or 3 owners including Tom Derby. I believe this is one of 3 8D8 protomolds in existence. There is one on the SWCA website with the coloured plastic paint swatches and the one that was photographed on the Jabba's dungeon box. Joe did some great detective work on this piece and was able to determine how many there are and where/who they originated from. This piece was on my WTB list for quite some time and I had given up on it when suddenly it came up for sale out of the blue. Of course it looks better taken apart :)

This 8D8 Protomold represents an intermediate stage in the figure production process and is commonly referred to as an "internal first shot" since it was likely produced completely inside Kenner as opposed to through an outside vendor as standard first shots were. It is made from relatively inexpensive aluminium moulds using injection-molded plastic and its torso is one solid piece rather than two halves joined by sonic welding. Its limbs and head are affixed via cylindrical plugs, which fit snugly into corresponding holes in the torso. The plugs used to connect the joints and legs of the first shot to its torso appear to have been copied and reduced directly from the metal pins of the 2-up hardcopy. It has the common characterstics of a Protomolded prototype in that it lacks dates and copyright markings and has no peg holes in the feet. (Source: Ron Salvatore SWCA).

P1000975x1.JPG

2) Charcoal Robes Anakin first shot prototype

I bought this from Adam Burgess a couple of years ago and whilst there are around 10 of these in existence (so I'm told) it remains one of my favourite pieces in my collection.

This first shot Anakin lacks copyright details and is moulded in a very dark charcoal grey (almost black) colour.

X_P10408301.JPG

1) Dark Brown Romba first shot prototype

This is my favourite piece in my collection and another purchase from Adam Burgess a couple of years ago. I believe there are 3 of these in existence. Gus and Jeff's Museum own the others but I believe this is the only one complete with the prototype hood.

This first shot Romba has copyright details but can be differentiated from the standard production figure due to it being moulded in a much darker brown plastic. The hood is also moulded in a very light brown colour as apposed to the grey hood of the production figure.

P10503701.JPG

Anyway hope you like them and I look forward to seeing some more Top 5s!

Cheers Oli

spoons

Grand Master
My pieces haven't changed much from previous years but here they go...

Palitoy diecast TIE

diecastTIEPalitoyfront.jpg

Han Hoth and Vader two pack

ROTJHanHothDarthtwopack2.jpg

HH 1st shot body and head pull in random plastic

Hanhoth1stshotheadpullfrontsmall.jpg

AT-AT revenge proof

ATATrevengeproof2.jpg

and the perennial favourite my avatar - the 41back Palitoy Han Hoth

Hanhothpalitoy41bkfront.jpg

olisuds

Sith Lord
Some lovely looking Han items there. Particularly like the head pull test and the Palitoy Han Hoth - which looks in awesome condition.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Awesome pieces Oli and Andy!!

Oli - I love that dark brown Romba. Cracking piece.

Andy - The head pull rocks! Love it. Also the 2 pack is cool. These are not easy to find with good figure combinations.

Keep em coming folks! 8)

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Lots of great items in this thread so far. Keep em coming guys!

Oli, that Lando FS w/ the blue cape is great. It looks just like the one in the '85 Toy Fair catalog.

olisuds

Sith Lord
Thank Chris, Drakon. Yeah for an ewok - he's pretty cool :)

Thanks Shawn. To be honest my photo is a bit crap and the colours are really washed out. The pink and blue capes are a lot more vivid.

Yes I love that photo from 85 Toy fair Catalogue. I think that piece is either a protomold or a hardcopy and the cape is quite a bright blue whereas my cape is a more light blue/purple. I know James Gallo had the protmold and hard copy (he sold them a while ago) but there was no bright blue cape. I dont know if that piece has turned up in any collections yet. I'd certainly love to own it.

The 85 Toy fair catalogue is my inspiration for my POTF focus. Dark Robes Anakin, Dark brown Romba, Blue Cape Lando. Although all Protomolds or Hard copies. I'd love to find the metallic coloured EV-9D9 protomold one day.

olisuds

Sith Lord
BUMP! Dont want to see this one dissapear so soon. Would be nice to see some of the old timers post their top 5! Come on guys - don't make me post your names :lol:

Joe

Grand Master
When Weasel breaks out some goodies for a GROUP shot everyone else will follow - mark my words :lol:

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Ok here we go. It was pretty tough to decide between certain pieces even though I only have 9 items to choose from but here you go anyway:

5. Series 1 Unproduced Prototype Box Flat

I believe only about 5 or 6 of these box flats survived and one of those was lost in transit to me some time ago.) This box flat represents one of the final stages before production began. Strangely, this box flat has a sellophane window on the front of the box which shows that Kenner obviously considered a window on the shadow box to provide further protection to the bubbles. In all honesty, it probably would have provided little protection. The only other change to be made now to the box would be the introduction of the hanger tab style punch.

6045566866_8dfb169ebd.jpg

260 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
6045018039_ffa2f4caee.jpg

262 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
6045568592_2bc8cc802e.jpg

263 by Caswell2009, on Flickr

6170205084_4ffe78cc89.jpg

074 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
6169670557_5a1e6e8702.jpg

075 by Caswell2009, on Flickr

4. ESB Series 2 Bepin Set - Quality Control Sample

As far as I know there are only 2 QC Sample 3 packs in the world. This one and a Star Wars series 2 Creature Set. This is the only version with a sign off sticker which as you can see has been signed off by Don Huler. (11th Sept 1981)

8213562998_8e653ec185.jpg

IMAG1855 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
8213563730_b273aa26f6.jpg

IMAG1856 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
8212477741_34c965a18d.jpg

IMAG1857 by Caswell2009, on Flickr

3. Series 1 Kenner Employee Prototype Android Set

This set represents a stage very close to production where only fairly minor changes needed to be made. Such changes included the adaptation of the single round punch to the better known and more functional Hanger Tab style. This insured standardisation across the Star Wars action figure line. Another feature to be removed was the black bar along the top of the window which was seen to obscure the view of the title for the "Android Set." There is evidence of marker pen on the box in the bottom left corner and on the top right of the outer window. It is not known where this originates from or whether it was done at Kenner or afterwards. I would suspect afterwards. This set originates from a previous Kenner employee.

7892763970_dc29b7226c.jpg

002 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
7892765034_6b4f10346a.jpg

003 by Caswell2009, on Flickr

2. ESB White Prototype Engineering Pilot Test Package - Rebel Set

The purpose of this packaging style was to test the dimensions of the box prior to printing. The box has no text and the bubble/ window is hand glued without the standard kenner production "Waffle Pattern." This set is one of 2 known examples in the world. Similar prototypes were produced for the other sets in this third series run. (Imperial set and Bespin Set) These plain white packaged prototypes are also often referred to as Engineering Pilots.

7892767948_8ddbfb92b0.jpg

006 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42329595@N07/7892768732/in/photostream/

1. ESB Series 1 - Canadian Imperial Forces Set

This particular set originates from Simpsons and it still has the price sticker on the side of the pack. Canadian 3 Pack sets are notably much more scarce than their US counterparts. In this case, as far as I can tell, only 2 examples of this set have surfaced so far and this is the nicer of the 2. The reason being, is that these sets were only available in small quantities to certain department stores who signed up to the department store programme. There are a number of key differences between the US and Canadian sets.

You can see some of the differences by checking the link to the SWCA where this set is pictured at the bottom of the page and there is a link to the US vserion in the text..

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=62555

8030247519_20238cb347.jpg

IMAG1775 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
8030243256_bf01ab2ac8.jpg

IMAG1777 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
8030243644_4f2e5d1c66.jpg

IMAG1776 by Caswell2009, on Flickr
8030248829_ae50b8fa13.jpg

IMAG1778 by Caswell2009, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! Chris.

spoons

Grand Master
Absolutely amazing Chris - any one of those would be the centrepiece of most collections

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Just looked through this thread and have a noob question - in mark yeos thread on page 1 what are the card backs with the figure area and figure name in white? Some kind of foreign thing?

Lots of amazing stuff in the thread, grail for me as to be 3 packs one day, love them

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Thanks a lot Andy. Much appreciated buddy! 8)

Jedisearcher - thanks buddy. the carded figs in Marks photos are Canadian sears exclusives. They are vacu-sealed/ shrink wrapped figures. Very cool and very rare.

Lee77

Sith Lord
Missed this first time around. Some truly amazing pieces on display.
Chris, I never get tired of looking at the 3 packs! Awesome buddy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom