TFA Trailer

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Nicely put, Lee. That's a really cool attitude to take, especially from someone who took such a strong stance from the outset.

Jez

Sith Lord
Everything is going as i have foreseen.
KK told me in Essen that this would be great and i immediately reported back to you guys. I've always believed.
This will blow all records away but far more importantly, this will be the first film that's made me cry since Toy Story 3!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Ian_C said:
Well, time to make myself an outcast. :(

_Lee_ said:
Joking aside, this trailer says so much more about the vision and direction that it is going. It does seem to have an ANH feel in some way, especially when she says " im no-one". I was impressed so much more by is than the previous 2 trailers, but the Vader helmet crap doesnt sit right as i feel it takes away the feeling of the end of ROTJ. The bit where Han says "its true...etc" that made me think.

Perhaps i will be proven wrong, i dont know what to think now. When something does touch a chord, its hard to deny it and i got to admit it has. The previous trailer with Han and Chewie put a lump in my throat, but man-this really got to me for some reason.

Im a Lucas guy, but wow...that hit a nerve. For some reason this took me back 30 years....

There, i fecking said it.

Now i got the kids open evening and Sonny said there was a Star Wars drawing in his art folder on his desk for me to look at :)

Dammit Lee, am I the only one left that will avoid this movie like the plague?

Grant_C said:
STAR WARS DOMINATES

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has obliterated records for advance ticket sales at US and UK cinemas, leading to many early screenings being completely sold out.

American retailer Fandango said JJ Abrams' film sold more than eight times as many tickets on its first day of release – Monday – as the previous record holder, 2012's The Hunger Games. Separately, IMAX revealed it took $6.5m in ticket sales on a single day for The Force Awakens, having never made more than $1m in 24 hours previously. The space opera reboot was also the bestselling film on movietickets.com, representing 95% of sales over the past 24 hours.

Tickets went on sale in the US, the world's biggest box office, after the debut of the new trailer for The Force Awakens on ESPN's popular Monday Night Football show. In the UK, where tickets went on sale earlier in the day, Star Wars studio Disney said a record 200,000 plus tickets were sold in 24 hours, beating marks for Skyfall, Spectre, The Hunger Games and 50 Shades of Grey. The unprecedented demand on both sides of the Atlantic, almost two months' prior to the release of Abrams' film, is leading to speculation that The Force Awakens might challenge Avatar for the mantle of highest-grossing movie of all time.

"The only words to describe the first day of IMAX worldwide advance ticket sales for Star Wars: The Force Awakens are 'record-shattering,'" Greg Foster, CEO of IMAX Entertainment, told the Hollywood Reporter. "We're seeing sell-outs across the board – from Hollywood to London, to Sparks, Nevada and everywhere in between."

To beat Avatar, The Force Awakens would have to pass $2.787bn at the global box office, though those sort of figures are not unprecedented for a Star Wars movie. The saga's debut instalment, 1977's Star Wars, made $2.825bn when ticket prices are adjusted for inflation – though Avatar itself is also upgraded to $3.020bn using the same formula.

The Force Awakens early figures might, however, be hampered by its failure to secure a 2015 release date in China, the world's second largest box office. The nation only permits 34 foreign-made films to screen in each calendar year, and with this year's release schedule already full, the Hollywood Reporter says Disney may have to wait until well into 2016 before the space opera screens in the world's most populous nation. Neither is success in China necessarily guaranteed, as the original trilogy released in cinemas from 1977 to 1983 never screened there and many Chinese were unaware of Star Wars' notoriety until recently.

Bookmaker Paddy Power is currently offering odds of 16-1 on The Force Awakens passing Avatar's total by June 2016. Abrams' film, starring Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Andy Serkis, Gwendoline Christie, Max Von Sydow and Adam Driver, debuts in US cinemas on 18 December, a day after the film's UK release.

My 100% honest, and unbiased (either way - fanboy or hater) opinion.

It will break opening weekend records - but it won't even catch Jurassic World for #3 all time, never mind Avatar at #1.

The anticipation I see everywhere EXCEPT from Star Wars diehards is about the same as Dark Knight and Avengers. I'm predicting a solid $550-$600 million total domestic take here in North America. I'm using US dollars, as that's what the vast majority of data is listed in.

Worldwide, it'll be not as close. I looked at all 6 films in the series. The OT's worldwide take was on average about 45% of the grand total compared to the North American take. Can't count that - overseas box office has changed dramatically. The PT averaged only about 53% of the grand total from none North American box office. It's more reasonable to assume the new movies will fall closer in line to that. Now, there was an insane build to TPM, about the same as this. I'd say TPM had more, due to 16 years between movies and no backlash on the Saga due to perceptions of how the PT would be seen. Not everyone is going to rush to see this due to that factor and some people just not happy with Disney running the show, plus Lucas purists like myself. You also can't discount the effect a December release will have on the total, as it won't be able to rely on daytime or even weeknight showings the way a summer movie can. Anyway, I'm using TPM because it is the #1 worldwide grossing SW movie (unadjusted), and was relatively recent to compare with. TPM made $474 million at the North American box office - including a re-release. That translates to $753 million when adjusted for inflation. Yes, that's higher than my estimated North American take, but let's say TFA matches that. The total is 46% of its worldwide take. So, if we assume international vs North American remains in a similar ratio, and no need to assume otherwise with it being consistent across the entire saga, the grand total, with 54% coming from international box office. That means, if it can even match TPM totals (including its re-release numbers), its worlwide take will be about $1.636 billion. That means $883 million from the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong, that's huge - but it still doesn't beat $1.665 billion so far for Jurassic World. In other words, if the ratios of box office remain consistent as SW releases in the past, even if it beats JW by $100 million in North America, it'll still fail to catch JW for #3 all time worldwide, never mind Avatar's $2.8 billion unadjusted total.

Ian

Theirs two major factors not considered here. Number 1 it's a DISNEY film and they have huge clout in Asia which is where more than 1 third of the worlds population lives. Secondly it's the first Star Wars film to be released at Christmas a time when people go to the Cinima more than any other.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
Theirs two major factors not considered here. Number 1 it's a DISNEY film and they have huge clout in Asia which is where more than 1 third of the worlds population lives. Secondly it's the first Star Wars film to be released at Christmas a time when people go to the Cinima more than any other.

I don't think the Disney factor will add many people. People know what Star Wars is regardless of where in the world they live, and that'll be the draw, not the Mighty Mouse. Whatever it adds may be countered by those like me that will avoid it just because it IS Disney.

Christmas is a detriment, not a bonus. You get two weeks where everyone is home and movies are strong sellers, but then the rest of its run, kids will be in school, and people will be at work. That kills weekdays and late showings. While I concede Avatar and Titanic were both released in December, there is typically a reason why the big budget sci-fi and action movies get released in the summer. ;)

I suppose a winter release will add box office in Australia though, since it'll be their summer....

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Disney not a factor. :shock: Frozen 8th biggest box office film of all time, partly due to smashing the Asia market. Why do you think TFA is coming out at Christmas? It's ready now but Disney are holding out for biggest impact possible. The only thing I'm not sure of Ian is if you will hold out on not going. :lol:

Disney commercially bigger than Star Wars on every level, you can't imagine how they have widened the Star Wars market. It's like Starbucks buying Gaggia! (They probably have)

The only thing I can see holding the film back at the box office is the fact it can't be released in China until January.

I don't care if it brakes records or not, it looks **** hot and I'm going to inbrace the moment. :lol:

threesheepio

Padawan
Cazza said:
That does indeed look like Chewie. Please no! :(

I thought that too. :( Not actually surprised, and I think we should be preparing to say goodbye to Han too.

Harrison Ford is well known to have wanted Han killed off in ESB for fear of lack of character progression. In a way, he was right... Han is almost a bystander for most of ROTJ. and I just can't see him signing on for more than one film.

From the trailers, he seems to get a lot of screen time with Finn and Rey and it looks like he's there as a sort of loremaster, linking the two trilogies and guiding them to Luke.

That bit with the Falcon at 1:55 in the trailer looks pretty catastrophic. In a way, I hope it happens. The death of a major character makes the audience fear for everyone else.

That shot of the Falcon entering hyperspace gave me a nerd-boner.

elcroz

Padawan
Has anyone given this any thought: What IF the UK was to have a bad snowstorm prior to Christmas. It happened not too long ago about 6 years ago or so.
What if you lived in a remote area or the cinema was to cancel that night (of all nights) due to treacherous roads for their staff etc? It's not an impossible scenario.
City dwellers could possibly be ok but the rest of us...?

Bad times.

Let's hope not.

All the best,
Buzz Killington

Ian_C

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
Disney not a factor. :shock: Frozen 8th biggest box office film of all time, partly due to smashing the Asia market. Why do you think TFA is coming out at Christmas? It's ready now but Disney are holding out for biggest impact possible. The only thing I'm not sure of Ian is if you will hold out on not going. :lol:

Disney commercially bigger than Star Wars on every level, you can't imagine how they have widened the Star Wars market. It's like Starbucks buying Gaggia! (They probably have)

The only thing I can see holding the film back at the box office is the fact it can't be released in China until January.

I don't care if it brakes records or not, it looks **** hot and I'm going to inbrace the moment. :lol:

I almost didn't reply. I don't want to needlessly argue a point, or create any dissension. I'm only going to try and clarify my thoughts, which I thought I had but maybe not well enough. :(

Disney is a huge factor when it comes to animated films. Just like your example of Frozen. I say it's not a factor with Star Wars because aside from marketing the **** out of it, I don't see Disney converting many, if any, previous non-Star Wars fans into new fans. At least not enough to counter the anti-Disney crowd. Star Wars already has its pre-existing fan base.

I already mentioned Christmas. If you really think Christmas is a magical time to release a blockbuster, then why do 99% of them get released in the summer? You've got a week, maybe two, where people are off work at Christmas time, and a couple of weeks with no school for students. That means outside of that week or two, cinemas are mostly empty during matinees and week nights. Maybe they chose Christmas because it wouldn't have any real opposition for several weeks, but in my opinion, that's playing with fire. January and February are not exactly peak times for movies, and Star Wars is going to need to just own those theaters in those months if it wants any shot at breaking records. Then, come April/May, the 2016 blockbusters will start hitting, which kills the end run of the movie, where, say Jurassic World or The Avengers were still going after 5 months because there isn't much heavy competition coming out in the fall.

The only thing that will get me into the theater to see this is if my almost 7 year old continues to bug me about it. Even then, I may just give Disney my finger and pirate it instead of giving them my money. ;)

Having said all of that, I do truly hope you guys love it. Disappointment sucks, especially when there's this insane level of over-anticipation. For you guys, I hope it lives up to your expectations. I just won't be able to share it with you guys. :)

Cheers,

Ian

Ian_C

Jedi Master
elcroz said:
Has anyone given this any thought: What IF the UK was to have a bad snowstorm prior to Christmas. It happened not too long ago about 6 years ago or so.
What if you lived in a remote area or the cinema was to cancel that night (of all nights) due to treacherous roads for their staff etc? It's not an impossible scenario.
City dwellers could possibly be ok but the rest of us...?

Bad times.

Let's hope not.

All the best,
Buzz Killington

This type of scenario happens at least once every single winter here in Canada, and the northeastern US. Many heavily hyped movies have had serious effects on their box office take due to the weather. That's actually a factor I never thought of.

Ian

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Rather than start a new thread, since discussion here was on how TFA will perform at the box office, it's only fair to post what it needs to overcome here.

Jurassic World's run has finally come to an end. Fair enough to say no other movie in the next three weeks will have any chance of vying for #1, and Hunger Games is just not holding up like the others, so that's the total TFA will have to beat.

JW ends #3 all time North America with $652,270,625. It ends it's worldwide run at $1.67 BILLION.

I'm not going to rehash my points from earlier. I stand by my predictions. Just stating that it now has an actual box office target to catch. Best of luck to the remake...I mean reboot....I mean new movie. ;) It's going to need it. :D

Ian

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
If you don't count inflation, then Honey I Shrunk the Kids 2 is more successful than Gone With the Wind.

As you can see, in North America, Jurassic World was massively successful, but there are already 4 Star Wars film that have out grossed it if compared equally.

Untitled_zps7fidvfij.png

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Controversial point coming.

I don't give a **** how much a movie makes or loses, if I like it I like it.

I own a copy of Hudson hawk, and have watched it more than once.

I can't wait for this movie.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:

I get that, and respect that. My post was 100% directed at those that believe TFA is going to smash all records.

Grant_C said:
If you don't count inflation, then Honey I Shrunk the Kids 2 is more successful than Gone With the Wind.

As you can see, in North America, Jurassic World was massively successful, but there are already 4 Star Wars film that have out grossed it if compared equally.

Absolutely. Of course, three of those were from an era where movies had runs of 12-18 months, and all three have been re-released multiple times on top of that. The fourth was TPM, which ALSO had a re-release, bringing its adjusted take much closer to JW's. A Christmas (ie. non-summer release, which account for all the top movies of all time aside from, ironically, the top two) release is detrimental.

Furthermore, say it beats JW. Your point of inflationary adjustments applies to Titanic and Avatar too. This means compared equally, it needs $811 million to beat Avatar, and $1.13 billion to beat Titanic. ;)

And again, even if it can beat movies at the North American box office, it'll need a miracle to beat the $2.8 billion worldwide Avatar made, never mind the $2.2 billion of Titanic. Considering no Star Wars movie has ever made more than 56% of its worldwide box office from international sources, and Titanic and Avatar pulled in 70% and 72% respectively from overseas markets, all this talk of beating all time records is just simply not happening.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough. It's opening at 3900 screens in North America (Jurassic World opened to almost 4300 screens, and Avengers opened to 4350 screens, and they're the top 2 opening weekend record holders), so it's working at a disadvantage right from day one.

If I am wrong, I'll be the first to admit I was way off.

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:

I own a copy of Hudson Hawk as well! Can't say I've watched it more than once though. :lol:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Thought it would beat the opening weekend, until I heard the screen count yesterday. That pretty much kills it. Even so, it will smash the December opening record and will have decent legs. My prediction is that it will beat Jurassic World fairly comfortably, but can't see it overtaking Avatar and probably not Titanic.

Traditionally, SW movies have had a lower international take than other big blockbusters like the aforementioned films, but think this one will be a lot closer due to the Disney marketing.

Odeon UK have already sold over 500,000 advance tickets, breaking Spectre's record. We may see a new opening record in the UK.

Will be interesting!

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I own debbie does dallas and she blows everything out of the water ( and on land)

Lets just wait and see chaps. Ive a funny feeling TFA will obliterate any past records as the hype has been more than this world has ever seen. Everyone from HP to John Lewis is using TFA in adverts so it will be maximised. It was nowhere near this hypd up as TPM and SE. This is a VERY special time for many people and although ive never been a fan of the new films it will rewrite history.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom