Retro gaming new acquisitions

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
My latest impulse buy which will no doubt lead me down a Rabbit Hole, a Neo Geo Pocket game I saw in CEX. I love Puzzle Bobble but have never played the NGP version so will have to get hold of the console to play it on now. I love the clam shell case which is like a Game Boy sized version of the Neo Geo games (next to it for scale)

IMG_3546.jpeg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well this is definitely my best score for a while! I've been looking for a large Sony Trinitron for ages, but whenever they come up for sale they are 500 miles away. This one was "only" 40 miles away, and apparently nobody else in the area wanted it - I won it for 99p! :cool:

The seller was a nice old guy who just didn't want to send it to landfill, so was glad to see it go to somebody who would use it. He couldn't guarantee it worked as hadn't used it for 12 years, so it was a bit of a gamble, but I gave him £20 for it as would have felt bad handing over 99p. I would have paid more if I could have seen it working there, but as I couldn't I thought the price I paid was fair enough (also factoring in the three hour round trip.)

Anyway it does indeed work, and I'm stoked with it!

IMG_3576.jpeg IMG_3573.jpeg IMG_3575.jpeg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's alive! I sent it to the guy who does all my mods, and he discovered it had some liquid damage from a spill :oops: the good news is although that required some board repairs, everything else was working fine, so it was actually cheaper than replacing the CD laser. He also installed a multi-region mod which changes the LCD colour depending on region, and replaced the save battery with a chip! So this is now a fully modded Multi-Mega and has cost me a shade over £350 all in. If anyone else is interested in recapping or upgrades etc, I highly recommend them, very reasonable prices and top notch work: https://bytesfree.co.uk

IMG_3625.jpeg IMG_3626.jpeg

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
It's alive! I sent it to the guy who does all my mods, and he discovered it had some liquid damage from a spill :oops: the good news is although that required some board repairs, everything else was working fine, so it was actually cheaper than replacing the CD laser. He also installed a multi-region mod which changes the LCD colour depending on region, and replaced the save battery with a chip! So this is now a fully modded Multi-Mega and has cost me a shade over £350 all in. If anyone else is interested in recapping or upgrades etc, I highly recommend them, very reasonable prices and top notch work: https://bytesfree.co.uk

View attachment 182760 View attachment 182761
Lovely console Ed. I owned one years ago when I worked for SEGA but the CD unit died and there wasn't anyone available at the time who were repairing the Multi-Mega's.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
New toy arrived today - 10 way automatic SCART switch. I had a cheap plastic 5 way switch before which required pressing a button for the input you want, and it also had picture quality issues. This switches automatically and gives a flawless picture. It was about £80 all in so not cheap, but well worth it if you want to hook multpile consoles to one TV. Here's the link if anyone's interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004651422297.htm

IMG_3664.jpeg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
An update to my Neo Geo Pocket collection, I got a few of these from CEX recently as prices are way cheaper than eBay, and all but one came with the manuals (which I returned.) I had never played any of these before and they are actually really cool games, slightly better graphics than a Game Boy and the sound reminds me of the Master System.

IMG_3795.jpeg

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Had this turn up whilst I was away. First Sega Master System I have had in the collection. Was a bit of an impulse buy, guy had it for what I thought was a decent price looking at other auction going on eBay.

The best thing though is I have found my flat screen Samsung TV in our bedroom still has analogue tuning so no need for a CRT TV as I've managed to tune on this. I know some games won't work but not worried by that as it saves me a few quid. Very happy!! 😁😁😁😁
20230807_214736.jpg

20230807_213443.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
a few new arrivals, Mother 2 (AKA Earthbound) and Zelda for the Super Famicom, both eBay purchases. And Double Dragon for the NES, which I found in CEX today :)

IMG_3828.jpeg

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Also just got this in the post from an unexpected win on eBay. Came complete with sleeve, game, original bags, instruction manual, warrantee cards and the cardboard that went ontop to protect console. Super happy although the bank balance wasn't happy with everything else I have to spent out on this month! 🤨😁
20230815_154908.jpg20230815_154921.jpg20230815_163122.jpg20230815_162836.jpg20230815_163113.jpg

lejackal

Grand Master
IMG_8707.jpeg

For the 3rd time in the last few years I've bought an N64 - I keep giving up on them and then I get sucked back in, aided this time by this beauty only being 85 quid, including the postage. It's all there, poly in great shape and all original baggies etc.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
View attachment 184529
For the 3rd time in the last few years I've bought an N64 - I keep giving up on them and then I get sucked back in, aided this time by this beauty only being 85 quid, including the postage. It's all there, poly in great shape and all original baggies etc.
Nice, looking at getting a Nintendo console of some sort next, got 3 segas now so need a bit of variety in the collection. Nintendo seem more popular and therefore more expensive though so at £85 that is a bargain.

lejackal

Grand Master
Nice, looking at getting a Nintendo console of some sort next, got 3 segas now so need a bit of variety in the collection. Nintendo seem more popular and therefore more expensive though so at £85 that is a bargain.
They seem to vary wildly for some reason - I've been really lucky with almost all of my consoles price wise. I quite fancy a SNES at some point but do love a Sega as well, particularly the Dreamcast.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I bought an IPS screen upgrade and new shell for my Neo Geo Pocket. It cost about £60 for the set from Ali Express and took about 10 days to arrive. It was a bit hairy installing it as required a bit of soldering and the instructions were not very thorough, but managed to do it! Here's before and after pics, you can adjust the brightness and scanlines etc using a touch sensor.

Before
IMG_3964.jpegIMG_3965.jpeg

After
IMG_3993.jpegIMG_3992.jpeg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I just picked up this NTSC SNES Mini, which is a smaller version of the SNES only released in America in the late 90s. It's a similar form factor to the Japanese Super Famicom Jr, sadly we never got a second generation SNES in Europe. Apparently these have the best video quality with the right cable, which is why I bought it. I love the unique controller that comes with it, which is subtly different from the traditional SNES controller (notice the embossed Nintendo logo.)

Here it is next to my Famicom AV, which is the Japanese second generation NES, and is a similar size and design. They look great together and are much smaller than the first gen consoles.

IMG_4029.jpeg

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I thought I was pretty clued up on retro consoles but I didn't know that existed. It's a cool design, much better than the original American breeze block SNES.

Latest posts

Top Bottom