Re-watching the prequels

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Ian_C said:
The attempts at nostalgia by bringing back the main cast and other aspects of the OT is nothing short of a marketing tactic, designed to take this disgruntled fanbase and win it over by giving them what they miss - the story of Luke, Han, and Leia. Many express the opinion of "more SW is better than none", but I couldn't disagree more. Let the existing saga grow old and stay pure, admired by nearly everyone. Don't dilute it with movie after movie after movie, watering down the effect of the OT in particular. I hope those of you excited about it go home happy, but for me, I'd be just fine if there was never another Star Wars movie made.

Ian

I disagree on most of what you said, and especially this bit. If star wars was no more, and it was just a bunch of vintage collectors and there had been no special editions, no prequels and no modern toys, I really dont think there would be many people (good and bad) involved in the vintage hobby. POTF2 re-enlivened many back into the hobby and that snowball of more star wars has inspired many to revisit their nostalgia and collect. I count myself in that. I started picking up new star wars stuff when potf 2 and the SE came out. Then the announcement of new films AFTER the OT inspired me to revisit my vintage side, ditching the random 'cluster-**** modern collection' I had accumulated and refocus.

Ever since ROTJ ended, as a 9/10 year old I hung onto every rumour for news of more star wars films. The PT was okay, but so much disappointed me, disappointed that 9/10 year old brain. I guess my vision and expectation of darth vader's rise was never going to be satisfied. I had 15 years of visual waffle in my head of how it should happen. When I see a flappy fishman talking like a twat alongside Jedi warriors, just wound me up. And that must have been the case in many. I still watch the prequels, I like them. They are films made by a guy who wants to tell a story in the universe I like. And like a member of my family, I understand GL will make mistakes.. i still love him dearly and forgive him.

I'm really looking forward to The Force Awakens. I'm 41, and my expectations for anything in life arent high anymore. I'm looking forward to some ships being blown up, robots, some action and a little bit of humour. Nothing more. I'll be there opening night, as I will for ep8, 9, Rogue 1, Han solo film, rebels season 2 etc etc

I ****ing love Star Wars. End of. Even the **** bits.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I'm not into bashing Lucas - which I know many are. I love all 6 movies in different ways. I know SW was GL's concept, ideas and vision but for me it was a team effort brought to life by Lucas (both of them), McQuarrie, Kurtz, ILM.....

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I'm not into hero worship, or holding a person/s in reverence, with perhaps the exception of Bill Hicks and George Carlin (RIP). I believe everyone should be held accountable, we're human after all and as the saying goes, a man who never made a mistake never made anything.

I have a love/hate relationship with GL. He gave us so many great things to love (lets not forget Indiana Jones!), and was instrumental in the advancement of cinematic technology. As a young film maker he was radical and forward thinking, a true artist and visionary and for that he commands my respect.

BUT.

He has a lot to answer for too. Some of which I've already touched upon. I just believe no one, however talented, is beyond account.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I have a love/hate relationship with Lucas.

On the one hand it's true that without him and his vision none of us would be here, or have had something as amazing as Star Wars happen in our life time. It really has had a major impact on my life (not to mention my bank balance) and has given us a universe that is beyond comparison.

I don't assign myself to the 'Lucas ruined my childhood' movement as if anything he made my childhood. Nothing that happens to these films, no matter how good or bad the PT or TFA are or if more terrible changes are made to the OT, can change what they mean to me.

However that doesn't mean I have to like everything he's done since ROTJ...in fact there are scenes in that which still make me cringe! Despite what he gave us, he's not beyond criticism and there's a lot in the PT (though there's a lot I like about them) and the special editions that deserve criticism.

But it has to be a fair one. There are good and bad things about it all and it that respect he's just like anyone else. Ultimately it was his universe and he could do what he wanted with it. Sadly he made some bad decisions which demonstrate both his inability and fallibility!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
sith-smith said:
I have a love/hate relationship with Lucas.

On the one hand it's true that without him and his vision none of us would be here, or have had something as amazing as Star Wars happen in our life time. It really has had a major impact on my life (not to mention my bank balance) and has given us a universe that is beyond comparison.

I don't assign myself to the 'Lucas ruined my childhood' movement as if anything he made my childhood. Nothing that happens to these films, no matter how good or bad the PT or TFA are or if more terrible changes are made to the OT, can change what they mean to me.

However that doesn't mean I have to like everything he's done since ROTJ...in fact there are scenes in that which still make me cringe! Despite what he gave us, he's not beyond criticism and there's a lot in the PT (though there's a lot I like about them) and the special editions that deserve criticism.

But it has to be a fair one. There are good and bad things about it all and it that respect he's just like anyone else. Ultimately it was his universe and he could do what he wanted with it. Sadly he made some bad decisions which demonstrate both his inability and fallibility!

Can't really argue with this, well said. :)

phreatobite

Jedi Master
I don't think Lucas ruined my childhood, I am frankly in awe of what he created with the OT and a lot more besides (Willow :wink: ). I just think he made three really **** films with the PT and butchered the OT for no good reason.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
steve obi wan said:
Just can't get into the prequels , they are all **** ! Can't understand how George Lucas could have got it so wrong ! :shock:

I wouldnt call them all ****, that is unfair. ROTS was a good film with some great action and other scenes. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom