Poltergeist /Aliens

yoda

Sith Lord
I was watching poltergeist and it got me wondering does anyone believe that can happen?
Just for the record I think it's untrue and in a weird kind of way wish it was :)

Aliens /green men :) I think is possible, the universe is to big to think not.

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
deffo think theres life out there it cant just be us :)
as for ghosts and god and all that shite dont believe in any of it
just my views :) i get it that some people need to believe but sorry i just dont.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
This will run the risk of becoming a religious debate, so hopefully we can avoid that.

I'm with Jediknight3263827 on the belief thing, to a point. I think there has been too much documented evidence to suggest there isn't "something" paranormal in our world, but I don't for one second believe it would be "lost souls" or something like that, nor do I think it has ties to what many think of spirituality.

As far as aliens go, I think it's downright arrogant to think that in the vastness of space, with so many solar systems around an infinite number of stars, that not only the conditions for life aren't met elsewhere, but that it hasn't happened. They likely wouldn't look like us, and could be anywhere on the evolutionary chain from microbes to something far more advanced than we are, but absolutely there is something out there besides life on Earth.

This topic fascinates me. Really interested in what others post about it. :)

Ian

sith-smith

Grand Master
Ian_C said:
This will run the risk of becoming a religious debate, so hopefully we can avoid that.

I'm always up for one of those! That's basically my job! :D

I'm open to the idea that there could another be dimension that we don't know about or that there is something beyond death. I don't live my life according to this though and would generally say that I believe this life is all there is. So the concept of ghosts as being someone coming back from the 'other side' I don't believe. Find it fascinating though!

Life on other planets I do actually believe. Not based on people's UFO sightings etc. but more on logic that the universe is immense and considering the sheer expanse of space and time it seems highly improbable that this planet is the only place where there's life.

The general enormity of the universe etc, is what leaves me open to accepting the possibility of anything, as human knowledge is always limited to time and increases as times goes buy, so who knows what we'll discover to be true in the future that people argue is not true/possible now.

However accepting that something might be possible is not the same as believing it to be true or living a life according to such beliefs.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
sith-smith said:
Ian_C said:

I'm always up for one of those! That's basically my job! :D

I'm always up for it too! Got my university degree in a subject that is indirectly always associated with the topic. :)

Sounds like we have almost the same views on this Gary. :)

Ian

sith-smith

Grand Master
Yes we pretty much do. I call it intelligent agnosticism! :D

My degree, post grad and Masters are all in religion.

And I'm head of religious studies department in a school and college.

So I basically talk religion all day, every day.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The concept of life out there is one which generates all sorts of arguments an opinions, from the scientific to the fantastical little green men and abductions, Roswell etc etc.

For me its fundamenta facts and the laws of possibility, as has been said, it would be arrogant to dismiss out of hand the existence of "life" out there, but there is the rub, it's the perception of "life"

There's life Jim but not as we know it :lol:

My way of thinking is there is a lot of activity and white noise out there, but maybe from a technology point of view we are not up to speed yet, think about walking into a room with a Walkie talkie, and you dont hear anything, but everyone in the room are on their mobile phones!

Be an interesting thread this, I'm off to put my tin foil hat on now :wink:

yoda

Sith Lord
I see religion was brought up by lan which was a good point. And hes right I definitely don't want any arguments amongst members over that. Everyone has there own beliefs and I respect them. If we Just keep it to ghosts and aliens please :) I should have considered the region aspect before I asked the question.

sith-smith

Grand Master
If not relevant to the topic then yes, I agree, keep religion out of it. But I wouldn't support a blanket ban on discussing religion.

People disagreeing on things shouldn't lead to arguing as long as people approach things in a mature manner. Making comments that are outright offensive and intending to be so are certainly not acceptable, but that should apply to anything, not just religion.

I've seen people physically threaten each other over toys...but I'm sure we wouldn't want to no discuss those on here :D

yoda

Sith Lord
I think I read one time Stephen hawking believed sending probes out deep into space may not be a good idea. He could be right because he said if it does make contact things could go bad. Which is quite possible also.
I remember when young my mum buying me quest. Did Amy of you guys have it? I always loved when the issue came out about space. I remember reading they sent a satellite out with a map on it showing where it came from. I wonder where it is now. Does anyone remember that? I think the map was printed onto a steel plate with drawings of humans and the surrounding planets around earth.

yoda

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:
If not relevant to the topic then yes, I agree, keep religion out of it. But I wouldn't support a blanket ban on discussing religion.

People disagreeing on things shouldn't lead to arguing as long as people approach things in a mature manner. Making comments that are outright offensive and intending to be so are certainly not acceptable, but that should apply to anything, not just religion.

I've seen people physically threaten each other over toys...but I'm sure we wouldn't want to no discuss those on here :D

Ok thats fair enough , I was just worried I started a thread and someone ended up getting offended because of it.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I think you've started a good topic. It is very controversial, but that shouldn't be a reason not discuss it.

Plus we're all fans of a film that has a supernatural/spiritual power at its centre and deals with the struggle between good and evil. So the topic is quite relevant!

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I beleive in both :)

With regards to aliens, anyone in the human race is arrogant to beleive we are the only beings out there - thats half the problem in the thoughs of many.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
David Icke said most of the rulers of the earth are Lizard like Aliens...he speaks the truth you know :roll: :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not sure about Ghosts, don't really believe in them anymore but who knows.

As for other life in the universe it's a mathematical certainty, intelligent life in our Galaxy evolving at the same time as us is less likely and really unlikely that they are close enough to contact us. Our planet is about 4.5 billion years old we've been emitting radio waves for about 100 years.

That said technology is moving fast and some of the new ideas for interstellar travel are mind blowing, so who knows what's out their.

Would be amazing if we found other life in our solar system, if only bacterial or single celled organisms.

yoda

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:
I think you've started a good topic. It is very controversial, but that shouldn't be a reason not discuss it.

Plus we're all fans of a film that has a supernatural/spiritual power at its centre and deals with the struggle between good and evil. So the topic is quite relevant!

Well saying I started it I might as well give yous a laugh at me :)
This is a very interesting topic and when I look at myself i start to wonder what life is about.
I was the very one said I don't believe in ghosts but now I am starting to think about things.
I was thinking if you gave me 2 bottles of whiskey and put a ouija board in front of me I don't think I would go near it! So why is that I am thinking. I must believe something is there or around me.
I am sure you guys have heard stories of fairies in Ireland :) well I live in the country and still there it not many around who would cut down a fairy tree myself included. It may seem crazy but still that fear is there for most country people. Is there anything would spoke you guys?
The more I start thinking about all this the more interesting it gets. And it is good hearing other people's views on there fears and beliefs.

yoda

Sith Lord
And another thing I find fascinating time travel! I am sure there is someone here will know if this is possible. Am I right in saying the further from the earth's core you are time slows? That is why astronauts watches are a few minutes slower when they return. So in theory if a ship could be built to travel fast enough to travel further from earth. You would cover greater distance and when you come back time would have moved on here. The only problem is you couldn't reverse the time that had pasted. It's abit like the movie interstellar.
Have I just rambled complete bollocks or is that possible :?

sith-smith

Grand Master
yoda said:
I was thinking if you gave me 2 bottles of whiskey and put a ouija board in front of me I don't think I would go near it! So why is that I am thinking. I must believe something is there or around me.

If I remember correctly, a Ouija board was just a board game, released in shops. Hasbro own it I think

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom