match of the day

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Watched about a minute of it, still think he was overrated.
In that United team nearly one could have scored goals. Lets be honest in those days (mid 90's) the premier league was a very weak league. Premier league sides (United apart) would regularly struggle against even French oposition, a European campaign normally lasted 4 games. Just look at how well they did in European competitions, the only one they did anything in was the Cup winners cup!
So a player who would now be average in premiership terms would then have looked a lot better.

Also, you could put together a great montage of Tony Yeboha's goals, but what did he do before and after he left Leeds? (Other than get banged up for tax evasion in Germany!)

You got me to admit Scholes/Giggs/Schmeichel were great players, you aint getting me admitting another United player is great! :D :wink:

jayjedi

Sith Lord
weasel said:
You got me to admit Scholes/Giggs/Schmeichel were great players, you aint getting me admitting another United player is great! :D :wink:

its a start :lol:

right what about keane, beckham, irwin and massimo taibi :!: :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Keane yeah, great player. Like a few other premiership players (Gerrard, Rooney, Carragher, Rio etc) he would have been in jail if he wasn't a great footballer.

Beckham, overrated. Good crosser and great engine, but never beats a player and a bit predictable, and his free-kicks are ridiculously overrated. The greece game he scored with his NINTH free kick, he missed with the other 8! I'd rather have Danny Murphy take them! :wink:

Tiabi LEGEND!

Irwin, similar to Gary Neville good player, but benefited from a lack of other solid left backs in the premiership during his time.

Cruyff, Poborsky and Dion Dublin?

jayjedi

Sith Lord
keane was another leader, loved his physical side , not sure haarland or veiria did though

cruyff was crap, poborsky had some good moments and dublin never really had a good run

beckham was better when he was young and wanted it

boba frett

Jedi Master
Blimey you'll be comparing the united team of the 90's with the liverpool team of the 80's next!

I feel a poll is inorder - except the pool fans outnumber us! :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think you can actually compare the two, becuase the style and standard of football have changed so much over the years.
Footballers now are so much fitter than they were in the 70's/80's, and as for the tackling now compared to then.........!

Although if you want a way of leveling the playing field I guess you can look at how the respective teams did in European competitions. Being good domestically is fine but that doesn't mean your domestic league is any good (Celtic/Rangers) if your good on a European level then your a genuinely good team. The Liverpool of the late 70's and early 80's dominated Europe to a degree that the United team of the 90's and early 00's never achieved.

But, you United fans will claim the Champions League/European cup is harder to win now than it was then. Surprisingly I disagree! :D :wink:

jayjedi

Sith Lord
weasel said:
But, you United fans will claim the Champions League/European cup is harder to win now than it was then. Surprisingly I disagree! :D :wink:

yeah because forest, celtic and villa could win it nowdays couldn't they :wink: :lol:

no i think your right weasel, the football today is totally different, the modern players are fitter, faster, better prepaired and better paid. it would have been an unfair advantage to the late 90's utd team .
you used to see liverpool winning 1-0 with ten minutes left and the opposition knackered , so it was just a kick about in the dying minutes and game over . now days it would be an onslaught on the opposition's goal to get a leveller

not sure how they would have fared with the no back pass rule though

boba frett

Jedi Master
Some good points there guys.

But imo the European Cup was a lot easier to win in the past basically because the competition only included winners of each respective domestic league. So liverpool would be playing swiss or greek part timers in the early rounds. Plus there were a lot less games.

The Champions League is now pretty much a lottery with the quality on show from the top leagues in Europe. Ok United have only won this once but they have been there or there about for the last 12 years. With a bit more fortune they could have won it 2 or 3 times by now - a perfectly good Scholes goal against Porto springs to mind :twisted:

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
i thought it was harder,as you didnt get another chance like you do with the league systems

you can loose your first 2 games now and still go through as rest of the league is made up of weaker teams

and united allways get the easiest groups

i know the quality of football is better to day ,but only a ****ing manc will tell you scum are more successful then the great liverpool teams as you are all full of **** :wink:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Boba, I'll definately give you Scholes's goal against Porto.
That goes in United win, Porto go out and Mourinho's career dies there and then!

I think it's easier to win the Champions league now, becuase for a start you can get in by finishing 4th in your domestic league (5th for Liverpool last seaon, but thats a long story) and as Jabba says with the group stages you can afford to loose 2 or even 3 games and still get through.

I guess it depends what you think makes more difference, being able to qualify from 2/3/4 place and having more chances to stay in (group stage V's straight knock out), or having more high quality teams in it.
If you go for the first option its easier now, if you pick the second it's harder.

Not that it has ever been easy, I guess less difficult is probably a better phrase.

boba frett

Jedi Master
Lets face it the Champions League has been designed with the big teams in mind - they have a crap season, finish 4th and still qualify. Then they scrap through the group stages and then its pot luck from then on. So you can be champions of Europe while still only being the 4th best team in your domestic league - aka Liverpool 2005!

If United had completed in 70's/80's European cup format then they would have qualified 8 times for the knockout stages. Where they would face only one team from Spain, only one from Italy, only one from France and one from Germany - so they would probably coast through to the semi finals most years due to the poor quality opposition.

So it was definetly easier in the past - check Liverpools opposition in that period - Crusaders; Zurich; Trabzonspr; Benfica; Brugge; Sofia; Aberdeen - not exactly the cream of Europe :lol:

This format allowed the best team of the period to win it many times hence Liverpool * 4, Ajak * 3, Munich * 3, Real * 5 etc. I sure the united team of the 90's would have had similar success in that format :p

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agree with you the Champions league being designed to keep the big boys happy and in it. But, surprisingly, I disagree about it being easier.
Any big European team from now would cruise the 70's/80's Champions league, due mainly to player fitness etc. (Although I'd love to see Graham Souness in his prime against Ronaldo, would Ronaldo still be alive by half time?)

You can't really pick a team from the 70's/80's, say Brugge and compare them to the Brugge team of today. Stade de Reims made two of the first 5 finals were at the time a top European outfit and look at them now playin the French second division.

There wasn't as much of a difference between the top European teams in the 70's and 80's as there is now

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom