latest film/ dvd you have seen

sith-smith

Grand Master
Just finished the 3 hobbit films.

Last film I saw at the cinema was the new Dune movie. It was good, but I'm a huge fan of the original 80's version. :cool:

lejackal

Grand Master
Just finished the 3 hobbit films.

Last film I saw at the cinema was the new Dune movie. It was good, but I'm a huge fan of the original 80's version. :cool:
How did you find the Hobbit trilogy? I've really struggled to get through them every time I try.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
How did you find the Hobbit trilogy? I've really struggled to get through them every time I try.
Yeah, as stand alones they are fine. But when you compare them to LOTR 's it's like the prequels to the OT. If you know the story as well you wonder why the **** they added Legolas and the she Elf.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Luckily I hadn't read the hobbit, so didn't know all the added stuff, though I did know it is a far shorter story than the 3 LOTR books so figured a lot had been added for it to be stretched out to 3 long films!

Generally I enjoyed it. I like the LOTR world so was good to see it again.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
From what I can remember I preferred the Hobbit book to LOTR's. Though that was 20yrs ago and both are very good.

DO NOT waste your time trying to read the Silmarilian though. The first 300 pages of that are utterly utterly impenetrable. I mean they may as well be in Japanese for all the sense they make. Then you get 50 pages of **** you can read.

lejackal

Grand Master
From what I can remember I preferred the Hobbit book to LOTR's. Though that was 20yrs ago and both are very good.

DO NOT waste your time trying to read the Silmarilian though. The first 300 pages of that are utterly utterly impenetrable. I mean they may as well be in Japanese for all the sense they make. Then you get 50 pages of **** you can read.
Yep, I had read the hobbit and LOTR by the time I was around 12 and have read them many times since. I be also started the Silmarillion at least 6 or 7 times since, most recently last year and still haven't got more than 50 or so pages in

lejackal

Grand Master
Well I finally subjected myself to the latest Matrix abortion. I've no idea what happened, or why, I just know it was shite

James1977

Padawan
So technically the last three films I watch were a movie night with the kids (hey it's half term they don't need sleep):
stuck in the suburbs - awful, muppets take Manhattan - awesome
Nancy drew - alright as these things go

Before that I had watched Jurassic World in anticipation of Dominion coming out. No way as good as the OG but plenty of dinosaurs and some funny moments.

Also Halloween Kills - so I enjoyed the first hour maybe. Had some good kills and Michael was on top form. But the last half hour dragged and I got bored! Not a good sign. I think I'm more of a Jason guy

James1977

Padawan
Watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife the other day. Was OK. Bit meh.
Yeah I thought that too. Good on the whole nostalgia thing, but that kinda took you out of it. I think Jurassic World had just enough of it I terms of the kids stumbling across the OG centre but that was brief. Not the basis for the whole film

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Late to the party on this one, but saw Top Gun Maverick last night, and it was the best film I've seen for ages. It is a little cheesy in places (the romance scenes especially) but what I enjoyed about it is that they have successfully made a 1980s movie in 2022! There was nothing 'woke' about it, no shoe-horned politics or inclusiveness, just a thrilling action movie. It was really refreshing to see.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Watched the new Black Panther yesterday, didn't really like the first one but was pleasantly surprised how good the new one is, original and the action scenes were part of the plot which was refreshing. Interestingly my 10 year old son preferred the first one. Solid 8/10 from me.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Watched Avatar: Way of Water today. I can't describe how much I hated it. Utter, utter pompous, self-indulgent nonsense. Exhausting and relentless (in a bad way). I have never wanted a film to finish so much (from about half way through). It made me feel so agitated and pissed off.

It looked lovely, but the wow factor of the first one had gone. Story is recycled and the script embarrassing (teen smurfs saying 'bro' and 'cuz'). A whale who is a composer - I **** you not! Cameron clearly thinks these films have a cutting edge environmental message, but they are just unintelligent, banal and boring.

I would recommend viewing Mark Kermode's review on Youtube- he nails it.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Watched Avatar: Way of Water today. I can't describe how much I hated it. Utter, utter pompous, self-indulgent nonsense. Exhausting and relentless (in a bad way). I have never wanted a film to finish so much (from about half way through). It made me feel so agitated and pissed off.

It looked lovely, but the wow factor of the first one had gone. Story is recycled and the script embarrassing (teen smurfs saying 'bro' and 'cuz'). A whale who is a composer - I **** you not! Cameron clearly thinks these films have a cutting edge environmental message, but they are just unintelligent, banal and boring.

I would recommend viewing Mark Kermode's review on Youtube- he nails it.
But how do you really feel about it Andy?

:)

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm not going to bother with it, the Mrs hated the first one and I feel like the best part of 3 and a half hours is to bigger risk, I don't really want to spend any time being told how we have messed up the planet by someone who is a big part of an industry that massively contributes to climate change. Another 2 films to go as well.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'll just wait for it to be streamed and asI doubt this one will do the numbers they need so there may only be one more film to come as JC mentioned doing this if there wasn't the appetite for part 2. Maybe we could be thankful for small mercies.

Ian

Latest posts

Top Bottom