horror movie chat

x-pack

Grand Master
Dark Crystal got a mention in my wedding speech. It was the film I was watching upon meeting my cousin for the first time (I was 6, he was 9 ...parents remarried so had an extended family). Later on in life he was my best man :)

There are some scary scenes in the film. Like when they torture that little goblin thing by making him look into the crystal's light. And the scene where the Skexis fight then the loser gets banished. Beautifully made film for the time.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Firstly I don't do horror movies, not my thing at all.

However was totally out-voted the other weekend at a mates house and we all watched 'Reeker' - what a load of shite!!!! slow, boring, not scary, no story line I nearly fell a sleep during it, not recommended.

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
x-pack said:
Dark Crystal got a mention in my wedding speech. It was the film I was watching upon meeting my cousin for the first time (I was 6, he was 9 ...parents remarried so had an extended family). Later on in life he was my best man :)

There are some scary scenes in the film. Like when they torture that little goblin thing by making him look into the crystal's light. And the scene where the Skexis fight then the loser gets banished. Beautifully made film for the time.

wondered where yjat was going till you said best man lol

x-pack

Grand Master
Well the Mrs wouldn't let me have the ANH medal ceremony music played by the organist as we walked out of church ..had to get something old school in there :wink:

After watching Nightmare On Elm Street 1 the Mrs won't watch any more. I got the bloody box set! :x

SimpleSi

Youngling
I was a horror fan as a teenager. I saw Zombies Dawn of the Dead in the cinema in 1981 and that was the scariest I'd seen up until then. There were loads of good horror films around that time. Also saw The Brood, Dead and Buried, The Fog, The Burning and Wolfen all in the cinema (sneaked in with my older brother).

We didn't have a video player at home back then but friends at school who did, were watching stuff like Driller Killer and The Exorcist - They probably got PTSD from that 😅. That was all before videos films even had age certification.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I never quite got into horror stuff. Not a huge fan of gore and can't stand films that are predominantly 'jump' scares. That said I do love the Halloween period and am a huge fans of things that are creepy and gives chills, rather than rely on jump scares.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Never been a massive horror fan, but there are certain ones I like (mostly sci-fi horror like Alien and The Thing). First one I saw was American Werewolf, when I was 12. My mate's Mum taped it off the TV for us to watch at a sleepover- good job my Mum didn't know! I remember watching House (love this film- cheesy 80's at its best) and From Beyond (pretty grim in places).

Loved Blair Witch and enjoy zombie stuff. I've heard The Babadook is worth a watch?

Palifan

Sith Lord
I was a horror fan as a teenager. I saw Zombies Dawn of the Dead in the cinema in 1981 and that was the scariest I'd seen up until then. There were loads of good horror films around that time. Also saw The Brood, Dead and Buried, The Fog, The Burning and Wolfen all in the cinema (sneaked in with my older brother).

We didn't have a video player at home back then but friends at school who did, were watching stuff like Driller Killer and The Exorcist - They probably got PTSD from that 😅. That was all before videos films even had age certification.
You got to see some amazing films back in the day at the cinema, I must be a little younger as I missed out on all of those at the cinema and probably started with something like Fright Night part 2 (although part 1 was a massive video hit for me). I was really into horror growing up and then fell out of it for a time but I've been back to it over the last 10 years or so and focus my vintage toy collecting on that area now opposed to Star Wars.
IMG_4670.jpg
IMG_4408.jpg
IMG_5305.jpg
IMG_5595.jpg

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
You got to see some amazing films back in the day at the cinema, I must be a little younger as I missed out on all of those at the cinema and probably started with something like Fright Night part 2 (although part 1 was a massive video hit for me). I was really into horror growing up and then fell out of it for a time but I've been back to it over the last 10 years or so and focus my vintage toy collecting on that area now opposed to Star Wars.

Ian
Wonderful stuff, as always Ian! I've probably said this before, but I'm a huge fan of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', so it's great to see a MacReady :)

Jeremy

grinchy

Sith Lord
great thread, lots of decent choices, as a kid i loved horror movies, got me into sculpture and mask making, good times, salems lot freaked me out as a kid, loved freddy and jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
Wonderful stuff, as always Ian! I've probably said this before, but I'm a huge fan of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', so it's great to see a MacReady :)

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy and I feel the same about 'The Thing'. I remember my Dad gave me a video with a film he'd recorded from the TV on it that he thought I might like. I watched it at night (when I was around 16), and didn't know what I was going to see and then 'The Thing' came on. Now that's the way to see this film, no spoilers (or knowledge), of what you're about to see and it blew my tiny mind!

Ian

sith-smith

Grand Master
Not a movie, bit I've just finished watching the Haunting of Hill House.

Good example of what I look for in horror. Creepy as hell, but no reliance on blood/gore or jump scares.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks Jeremy and I feel the same about 'The Thing'. I remember my Dad gave me a video with a film he'd recorded from the TV on it that he thought I might like. I watched it at night (when I was around 16), and didn't know what I was going to see and then 'The Thing' came on. Now that's the way to see this film, no spoilers (or knowledge), of what you're about to see and it blew my tiny mind!

Ian
I think the first time I saw it was similar; on my own late at night in my teens, however I had been told what it was like... It still packed quite a punch though! :ROFLMAO:

grinchy

Sith Lord
Hellraiser is another decent flick, saw it as a kid and was blown away by the visuals, love the character of Pinhead, just got in the boxset of the first 4 movies, they look great
EhomZJll.jpg

And it looks great in 4k

Latest posts

Top Bottom