ESB Palitoy MOCs - scale of rarity

Tickion

Padawan
Hi, I recently bought my first carded Palitoy ESB figure since the 80s and apart from getting the bug its made me realise how little I know of their rarity.

Fett is obviously the most desirable but apart from the Bespin Guard (black) and AT-AT Commander I've not seen many about. Any pointers appreciated. :)

maxf

Jedi Master
Thats a massive subject - as there are 4 different main types of Palitoy ESB card and each have their rarities. It's probably impossible to give anything but a rather general answer:

30 backs are probably the most sought after and rarest, but some are now fairly 'common' (Luke bespin, lei bespin, han hoth etc) some are crazy tough.

41 backs are probably next rarest - but some are rarer than all but the toughest 30bks and some are more common than other card types.

45a backs - easy to get an example of one, but getting a specific card can be tough. A few are only known in 1s or 2s.

45b backs are easy to get an example but can be some of the rarest cards - because a lot of people assume the GM cards are palitoy, which technically they arent. Some again arent even known to exist.

So... basically - no answer! Each card type has figures which are either not known to exist or super rare, with others on the same cardback being common.

Tickion

Padawan
Thanks Max, that gives me a good general idea. I thought I'd started well with a Luke Bespin 30 bk but guess maybe they made more of the main characters? (Another unanswerable question!) Had hoped to carry on with the 30 backs but perhaps that's overambitious. Time will tell. :D

maxf

Jedi Master
For the 30bks - you'll find Leia, Luke, Han, Rebel Soldier and Lando pretty easily. Hoth Stormtrooper is harder but plenty around. Bespin Guard, FX7, Bossk and IG88 are very tough.

I'm no expert on the next 10 - obviously Fett is hard as is Yoda. Luke Bespin (2nd photo is very hard to find).

Good luck - it will be a fun hunt and way more doable than 10 years ago when I tried!

sith-smith

Grand Master
There probably is some logic as to why some figures are more common on some cards than on others, but I don't know what it is!

30 back have mystique about them which is not altogether justified. Even back in the day (and we're talking 15 years ago or so) some 30 backs were a lot easier to pick up than some 41/45a.

Fett is tough on the 30b, not so tough on the 41, incredibly tough on the 45a!

Lobot is easy on the 41, fairly common on a 30 back, very tough on a 45.

Star Wars characters on ESB cards have no logic either. Most are very tough on a 30b, slightly less tough on the 41, though some are equally as tough as the 30, and far easier on the 45a

Overall, if someone was collecting ESB palitoy logo cards, they would probably make quicker headway with the 45a as many of those are reasonably common and relatively more 'affordable' than the 30 backs.

It probably would be possible to produce a list detailing each figure that potentially would appear on a ESB card and suggest on which cardback it would be easier to get.

Tickion

Padawan
Thanks for your input Gary. With your's and Max's help I'm getting my head around these at last.

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
Gary, I'm collecting 30 back Palitoy card backs as well as beater MOCs. Am really interested in the rarity piece, is there a full original 12 back run on 30 back? I've got a Ben 30 back beater, which made me think that there might be, but never seen the others on 30s. Sorry if this is a stupid question but appreciate your advice.

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Gary, Mr Palitoy or Palitoyjunky would probably be best answering this.

Ben is defo confirmed as is Chewbacca Han I think there are cardbacks for Leia and DSC also, not sure about the rest

As for a full run, I'm pretty sure not, sorry me of the 1st 12 have not even been seen on a cardback let alone a MOC

80s_collector

Padawan
Lee Gregory said:
Gary, Mr Palitoy or Palitoyjunky would probably be best answering this.

Ben is defo confirmed as is Chewbacca Han I think there are cardbacks for Leia and DSC also, not sure about the rest

As for a full run, I'm pretty sure not, sorry me of the 1st 12 have not even been seen on a cardback let alone a MOC

The first 12 actually do exist on Palitoy ESB 30 back cards, as for rarity, well who knows...!

jimmyshoes

Youngling
Hey! I've been studying Palitoy ESB for a while and can thoroughly recommend Mr Palitoys cardback guide for a great matrix of what figure/cardback combinations known to exist as well as a great visual guide to the various sub-variation.

I agree with everything that's been said so far. I think there are two key things to bear in mind when starting out collecting Palitoy ESB.

1) Some figures are prohibitively expensive unless you are very rich. A 30b Fett recently sold on Vectis for around £18k.
2) Toy Toni. There are many 45b figures that were allegedly sealed up from old factory leftovers by him. Again Mr Palitoy has a comprehensive list of what should be considered suspect.

If you go into it accepting that there are some cards you'll likely never own due to cost/rarity and avoid the 45b cards, you should be fine. Personally I love the 30 backs as they were the ones I remember on the shelves when I first became aware of Star Wars as a kid.

Cheers

JS

maxf

Jedi Master
80s_collector said:
The first 12 actually do exist on Palitoy ESB 30 back cards, as for rarity, well who knows...!

Must be pretty rare as nobody has even seen photos of about 10 of them as MOCs. I know one collector apparently has a few, and I have several cardbacks (Han and Ben) - but I have yet to see photos of sealed examples of anything other than Ben and Chewie.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
jimmyshoes said:
Hey! I've been studying Palitoy ESB for a while and can thoroughly recommend Mr Palitoys cardback guide for a great matrix of what figure/cardback combinations known to exist as well as a great visual guide to the various sub-variation.

I agree with everything that's been said so far. I think there are two key things to bear in mind when starting out collecting Palitoy ESB.

1) Some figures are prohibitively expensive unless you are very rich. A 30b Fett recently sold on Vectis for around £18k.
2) Toy Toni. There are many 45b figures that were allegedly sealed up from old factory leftovers by him. Again Mr Palitoy has a comprehensive list of what should be considered suspect.

If you go into it accepting that there are some cards you'll likely never own due to cost/rarity and avoid the 45b cards, you should be fine. Personally I love the 30 backs as they were the ones I remember on the shelves when I first became aware of Star Wars as a kid.

Cheers

JS

Hey Jimmy, welcome to the forum! It's great to know there's a new Palitoy collector on the forum (you'll find a few of us here). You'll find this site will catapult your knowledge beyond what is readily available on the web. We have collectors here with examples of "one only known" MOCs in their collections and some of those guys have numerous different "one only known" items MOCs. There's some very knowledgeable sorts here, of which I do not class myself as one :)

Sure, there are some prohibitively expensive examples Palitoy MOCs out there just as there are of pretty much any manufacturer, including bootlegs like Uzay. However, this shouldn't put folks off as there are also stacks available for almost no money at all, including "rare" items! I recently watched a SEALED Palitoy 30 back go for £124. Nope, not kidding. There are bargains to be had whatever you collect. And anyway, you can collect common, cheap Palitoys like BBG and AT-AT Commander on 45a: both readily available for little more than £100 in great condition.

As for avoiding all 45b Palitoy cardbacks: great idea! If only more people did this I could afford many more for my collection :lol: There really is no need to avoid all 45b Palitoy. Yes it is a minefield but there are only, what, three Pali 45b cards on the list? Bossk, TFP and Chewie. 45c are worse hit. But even then, getting out to fairs, handling the MOCs and reading the numerous threads here should give you a much better chance of avoiding costly mistakes. And if in doubt walk away. There's always another one waiting.

lejackal

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
jimmyshoes said:

Cheers

JS

Hey Jimmy, welcome to the forum! It's great to know there's a new Palitoy collector on the forum (you'll find a few of us here). You'll find this site will catapult your knowledge beyond what is readily available on the web. We have collectors here with examples of "one only known" MOCs in their collections and some of those guys have numerous different "one only known" items MOCs. There's some very knowledgeable sorts here, of which I do not class myself as one :)

Sure, there are some prohibitively expensive examples Palitoy MOCs out there just as there are of pretty much any manufacturer, including bootlegs like Uzay. However, this shouldn't put folks off as there are also stacks available for almost no money at all, including "rare" items! I recently watched a SEALED Palitoy 30 back go for £124. Nope, not kidding. There are bargains to be had whatever you collect. And anyway, you can collect common, cheap Palitoys like BBG and AT-AT Commander on 45a: both readily available for little more than £100 in great condition.

As for avoiding all 45b Palitoy cardbacks: great idea! If only more people did this I could afford many more for my collection :lol: There really is no need to avoid all 45b Palitoy. Yes it is a minefield but there are only, what, three Pali 45b cards on the list? Bossk, TFP and Chewie. 45c are worse hit. But even then, getting out to fairs, handling the MOCs and reading the numerous threads here should give you a much better chance of avoiding costly mistakes. And if in doubt walk away. There's always another one waiting.
Best opening post ever???

80s_collector

Padawan
maxf said:
80s_collector said:

Must be pretty rare as nobody has even seen photos of about 10 of them as MOCs. I know one collector apparently has a few, and I have several cardbacks (Han and Ben) - but I have yet to see photos of sealed examples of anything other than Ben and Chewie.

Yeah I think your right Max, pretty rare these ones......you never know Vectis seem to be getting plenty of nice items nowadays from "other vendors"....so Im sure in the future a few 30 backs will drop their way.......and after today with their 21k Fett, theyre proving they can achieve great prices.....so get saving hahaha

maxf

Jedi Master
TrisCompany said:
Would love to see any pics of first 12 Palitoy 30 backs that anybody has.

Same - would be great to see. Jason has a few cardback pics and Gary has a Ben.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
As far as I am aware the only known cardback or MOC examples of SW characters on 30 backs are Han, Ben, Leia, Chewbacca and DSC. There is absolutely no evidence of any of the others.

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Andyclarke said:
As far as I am aware the only known cardback or MOC examples of SW characters on 30 backs are Han, Ben, Leia, Chewbacca and DSC. There is absolutely no evidence of any of the others.

Well obviously there is Andy, didn't you read the post on the previous page???? :wink:

Maybe the Meccano Fett that sold today was bought by a collector from Asia.....

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Lee Gregory said:
Andyclarke said:

Well obviously there is Andy, didn't you read the post on the previous page???? :wink:

Maybe the Meccano Fett that sold today was bought by a collector from Asia.....

8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom