Don't forget to vote........................for Corbyn.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Hands over Article 50 letter..........loses control of the Government.

We are so embarrassing as a country. Need to stop voting every 5 minutes.

Brexit means Brex...............be back in a minute :lol:

maxf

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
maxf said:
£ is down 1.7% against the $ on the back of the exit polls... get your US purchases in before about 2am when the bulk start declaring ;)

Are you sure it's not 1.27% against the $ ?

Ian

It was late, but we went from 1.29 to 1.273 or something. Strong and stable.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Why is Corbyn so happy? he's just lost another general election.

Come on conservative, make Britain great again! Oh no sorry we're going to need another general election. :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Section 8 said:
Weasel "I can only assume you have never studied Economics or tried to run a business.
A vote for that man would be economic suicide. To say his sums don't add up is like saying the Titanic had a small problem en route to the States all those years ago."

What i do know is that we are one of the richest countries and have one of the biggest economies in the world. Yet still have rising homelessness, an underfunded NHS, under funded police service, under funded schools and working people using food banks.

Those are the figures that don't add up.

Ok, I don't want to get into a long argument about politics or economics on here but I'll answer your question.
Firstly, I'm not sure if we actually are one of the richest countries in the world. Yes, we have a very big/strong economy but we have a national debt that is fast approaching two TRILLION Pounds, and rising by £5k a SECOND. To me that's not a rich country that's someone spending money they haven't got to 'keep up with the Jones's"

Homelessness. Sadly this rises every time there is a recession and we are just coming out of the worst one we have had for decades. Yes, it is still a horrible situation and no self respecting person should be anything other than ashamed that we have fellow human beings sleeping rough. I can't find any stats on the levels to see when they started to rise and how much they are above historic levels (sadly, there will always be some who end up sleeping rough) so I'm going to leave this point. The food banks issue is similar, in that I don't know enough to comment accurately, but I agree it is a national shame.

The NHS is a mess. I worked on a project with Social Services about 10 years ago and I can honestly say the arrogance, stupidity and self centeredness that I encountered from them was staggering. They were cutting care hours for vulnerable people while at the same time taking a job that one very competent woman had done and splitting it between four people, all on the same salary as she was. When the PCT's thing happened the same jobs were split again. Four ways, and the new staff were on the same salary the initial person was on. So over 4 years we went from dealing with 1 person on circa £40k to dealing with 16 on a circa £640k all whilst we were told that the residents we looked after were having their care hours cut due to budget constraints. When we pointed out that these were people with severe mental illness and learning disabilities and cutting their care packages further was dangerous the response we were given was, and this is a hand on heart verbatim quote "I don't care if they relapse, hurt themselves or someone else because then they will be sectioned and that is the NHS's problem."
Just read that quote again, it came from the head of Social Services in a region I won't name.
I have digressed slightly there, but it was to prove a point on the complete and utter lack of any joined up thinking in the NHS. Yes, that is partly the Government's (this one and previous ones, of both colours) fault, but the amount of money wasted on middle managers, pen pushers and people who don't actually contribute to caring for our sick and needy is ridiculous. Nurses are criminally under paid and Doctors are leaving for better pay and working hours abroad and I don't blame them.
The NHS's real problem is also Britain's real problem, we have an ageing population, the baby boomers, who are now approaching retirement age and will start to need more and more medical care. We also have a shrinking working age population, who are already facing some of the highest rates of tax as a % of income that we as a nation have had. Our ability to continue to throw money at the NHS is limited. Especially as a lot of those same baby boomers are now claiming their nice gold plated pensions that you and I have no chance of getting. As life expectancy rises this exacerbates both problems.
I think it is unfair to continue to ask the young (I include us in that so most of us are probably a tad old for it) to pay more and more in taxes to support the elderly when we youngsters won't be able to expect the same level of support when we get to retirement age. I would actually put money on the fact that the state pension will be all but non existent by the time most of us come to retire.

I'm not saying we should cut funding to the NHS or privatise it. Far from it. I think we as a country missed a tricked when the crash of 07/08 hit, we should have sat down and had an honest discussion about what we as country wanted from our Government and what we were prepared to pay for it. As it stands we want our cake and we want to eat it. I have no objection to keeping the status quo as far as spending goes, or even increasing it, but both will require large increases in taxes FOR EVERYONE. Any party that says that will be booted out of office as people believe the fairy stories that people feed them about this or that wonderful solution they have. "Tax the rich", "Close the tax loop holes", "Efficiency savings" etc etc are all fine and dandy but in reality they won't work, they may cover a small part of the bill but what we need is a complete over haul of what we get from Gov and what we are taxed on. The rich will leave. If tax rates go up substantially on the top earners (the top 4% of income tax payers already contribute 40% of the TOTAL amount we get in Income tax) they will move, or become non Doms and then we lose their entire tax contribution. There is a point beyond which tax increased actually bring in LESS. In Economics it's called the Laffer Curve. It makes sense if you think about it, if you are being taxed at 99% would you go and work or would you claim benefits!? I know what I'd do. Obviously 99% is an extreme example, but there is a point beyond which tax revenue drop. I think the recent cut in Corporation tax has actually resulted in an increase in revenues from it. I believe a similar thing happened when the Tories scrapped Gordon's 45p rate of income tax too. Though I can't be arsed to check those figures so I may be wrong.

As I said, I'm not a Tory fan, but I can see that Corbyn's policies of spend spend spend are just throwing petrol on the fire that is our national debt. Put it this way, every single person is this country owes something like £44k as their share of the national debt. How long will it take you or me to pay that off in taxes? Then add interest to that. And don't forget that in the years we are paying that off we also have to fund Social Security the NHS etc etc.

This has turned into a rant, but my basic point is we are ****ed, as a country. But a vote for Corbyn is a vote for going down the pub and getting **** faced while your house burns down with your family in it.

yoda

Sith Lord
weasel said:
Ok, I don't want to get into a long argument about politics or economics on here but I'll answer your question.
Firstly, I'm not sure if we actually are one of the richest countries in the world. Yes, we have a very big/strong economy but we have a national debt that is fast approaching two TRILLION Pounds, and rising by £5k a SECOND. To me that's not a rich country that's someone spending money they haven't got to 'keep up with the Jones's"

Homelessness. Sadly this rises every time there is a recession and we are just coming out of the worst one we have had for decades. Yes, it is still a horrible situation and no self respecting person should be anything other than ashamed that we have fellow human beings sleeping rough. I can't find any stats on the levels to see when they started to rise and how much they are above historic levels (sadly, there will always be some who end up sleeping rough) so I'm going to leave this point. The food banks issue is similar, in that I don't know enough to comment accurately, but I agree it is a national shame.

The NHS is a mess. I worked on a project with Social Services about 10 years ago and I can honestly say the arrogance, stupidity and self centeredness that I encountered from them was staggering. They were cutting care hours for vulnerable people while at the same time taking a job that one very competent woman had done and splitting it between four people, all on the same salary as she was. When the PCT's thing happened the same jobs were split again. Four ways, and the new staff were on the same salary the initial person was on. So over 4 years we went from dealing with 1 person on circa £40k to dealing with 16 on a circa £640k all whilst we were told that the residents we looked after were having their care hours cut due to budget constraints. When we pointed out that these were people with severe mental illness and learning disabilities and cutting their care packages further was dangerous the response we were given was, and this is a hand on heart verbatim quote "I don't care if they relapse, hurt themselves or someone else because then they will be sectioned and that is the NHS's problem."
Just read that quote again, it came from the head of Social Services in a region I won't name.
I have digressed slightly there, but it was to prove a point on the complete and utter lack of any joined up thinking in the NHS. Yes, that is partly the Government's (this one and previous ones, of both colours) fault, but the amount of money wasted on middle managers, pen pushers and people who don't actually contribute to caring for our sick and needy is ridiculous. Nurses are criminally under paid and Doctors are leaving for better pay and working hours abroad and I don't blame them.
The NHS's real problem is also Britain's real problem, we have an ageing population, the baby boomers, who are now approaching retirement age and will start to need more and more medical care. We also have a shrinking working age population, who are already facing some of the highest rates of tax as a % of income that we as a nation have had. Our ability to continue to throw money at the NHS is limited. Especially as a lot of those same baby boomers are now claiming their nice gold plated pensions that you and I have no chance of getting. As life expectancy rises this exacerbates both problems.
I think it is unfair to continue to ask the young (I include us in that so most of us are probably a tad old for it) to pay more and more in taxes to support the elderly when we youngsters won't be able to expect the same level of support when we get to retirement age. I would actually put money on the fact that the state pension will be all but non existent by the time most of us come to retire.

I'm not saying we should cut funding to the NHS or privatise it. Far from it. I think we as a country missed a tricked when the crash of 07/08 hit, we should have sat down and had an honest discussion about what we as country wanted from our Government and what we were prepared to pay for it. As it stands we want our cake and we want to eat it. I have no objection to keeping the status quo as far as spending goes, or even increasing it, but both will require large increases in taxes FOR EVERYONE. Any party that says that will be booted out of office as people believe the fairy stories that people feed them about this or that wonderful solution they have. "Tax the rich", "Close the tax loop holes", "Efficiency savings" etc etc are all fine and dandy but in reality they won't work, they may cover a small part of the bill but what we need is a complete over haul of what we get from Gov and what we are taxed on. The rich will leave. If tax rates go up substantially on the top earners (the top 4% of income tax payers already contribute 40% of the TOTAL amount we get in Income tax) they will move, or become non Doms and then we lose their entire tax contribution. There is a point beyond which tax increased actually bring in LESS. In Economics it's called the Laffer Curve. It makes sense if you think about it, if you are being taxed at 99% would you go and work or would you claim benefits!? I know what I'd do. Obviously 99% is an extreme example, but there is a point beyond which tax revenue drop. I think the recent cut in Corporation tax has actually resulted in an increase in revenues from it. I believe a similar thing happened when the Tories scrapped Gordon's 45p rate of income tax too. Though I can't be arsed to check those figures so I may be wrong.

As I said, I'm not a Tory fan, but I can see that Corbyn's policies of spend spend spend are just throwing petrol on the fire that is our national debt. Put it this way, every single person is this country owes something like £44k as their share of the national debt. How long will it take you or me to pay that off in taxes? Then add interest to that. And don't forget that in the years we are paying that off we also have to fund Social Security the NHS etc etc.

This has turned into a rant, but my basic point is we are ****ed, as a country. But a vote for Corbyn is a vote for going down the pub and getting **** faced while your house burns down with your family in it.

Weasel have you ever considered getting into politics over here? I think you could sort half these ****ers out. Ever time they talk as far as I can see all they do is insult each other.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Lol, mate most of the electorate over here vote purely based on the persons religion. Given my militant atheism I would appeal to neither side. Plus your average joe punter doesn't want the truth they want sugar coated promises that it will be fine and someone else will pay. I'd be as successful as your average Monster Raving looney candidate.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
weasel said:
Section 8 said:
Weasel "I can only assume you have never studied Economics or tried to run a business.
A vote for that man would be economic suicide. To say his sums don't add up is like saying the Titanic had a small problem en route to the States all those years ago."

What i do know is that we are one of the richest countries and have one of the biggest economies in the world. Yet still have rising homelessness, an underfunded NHS, under funded police service, under funded schools and working people using food banks.

Excellent post and right on the money.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
weasel said:
Section 8 said:

Happy to agree with that, I wish more folk would wake up to the facts and the most important of those is that there is no current viable option on the table, just a lot of hot air caused by bullshit.

itfciain

Grand Master
To be honest I am just sick of politics - I can't believe the choices that people have been given both sides of the pond

Where are the centralist parties that people can unite behind and why is everything so polarized these days - you are either left wing or right wing it seems

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I should add that I voted for my local MP, not the then current leadership options.

I researched my MP's stance within his broader party and the other options within theirs. I felt that gave me a balanced set of options. My chap won his seat and at a local level and I do feel I voted for someone who will represent my area in the national forum and to me that is most important...

... you never know when your local MP may suddenly become party leader or PM, so voting for the person who is seems a little shortsighted to me.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think the fact this, Trump and Brexit were so close and inconclusive pretty much proves that the system is out-dated and needs an overhaul. Life is complicated in 2017 - voting for a person who has a couple of points of view worked 100 or even 20 years ago, but it doesn't work now. There are just too many variables and nobody is ever going to agree with one person on everything. I would scrap parties and just let people vote for individual policies. There's no reason why these days we couldn't be voting online about something on a daily basis.

I voted green because I think variety is important, and we currently have the only green MP. I am 50/50 on Labour/Conservative, I agree and disagree with many things both parties stand for which proves my point above.

spoons

Grand Master
itfciain said:
To be honest I am just sick of politics - I can't believe the choices that people have been given both sides of the pond

Where are the centralist parties that people can unite behind and why is everything so polarized these days - you are either left wing or right wing it seems

I'd argue that even left and right wing are things of the past, especially in America where it's right of centre and further right of centre.

Here, even with Corbyn being old skool labour there is very little really between the parties when it comes down to it. I like Corbyn because he seems to have values and genuinely care for what's best for the people - something that can't be said for Theresa or Borris, but I'm sure if he was ever in power those values would be sacrificed to remain in power like every PM before him.

These days politics is all about getting into 10 Downing Street and staying there, what's best for the country never seems to feature very high.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Food for thought:

Overall turnout for the election was 68.7 per cent, up 2.6 per cent from 2015 but down 3.5 per cent on the Brexit referendum.

This mean that 32.2 million people voted yesterday, out of 46.9 million who were eligible to do so.

14.7 million missed opportunities.....people say that their vote won't make a difference......ask Zac Goldsmith who won by a majority of 45 ......over 63,000 people voted in that constituency.

There is s more extreme example is Scotland, one constituency was settled by a majority of TWO votes!

Surely something has to change about voting privileges, is it time for the P.R debate?

itfciain

Grand Master
spoons said:
itfciain said:

I'd argue that even left and right wing are things of the past, especially in America where it's right of centre and further right of centre.

Here, even with Corbyn being old skool labour there is very little really between the parties when it comes down to it. I like Corbyn because he seems to have values and genuinely care for what's best for the people - something that can't be said for Theresa or Borris, but I'm sure if he was ever in power those values would be sacrificed to remain in power like every PM before him.

These days politics is all about getting into 10 Downing Street and staying there, what's best for the country never seems to feature very high.

I agree on Corbyn - seems like a nice chap with a genuine desire to do good - very similar to Sanders over here.

I disagree on the right/left wing though -whatever you label it, people are being put in boxes at one end of the spectrum or the other

Not all Trump supporters are fascists - just as not all Brexiters are racist xenophobes and in reverse not all Corbyn or Sanders supporters are 'looney left'

As Edd says above - both sides have good policies and bad policies - however to support one side over the other seems to bring on some sort of tribalism.

I will caveat that due to the rise in social media them we see more of people's opinions then we did in the past. For example we all knew that Uncle Bob was a bit of a racist but when your best mate from school starts sharing Britain First videos or the woman in your office that you barely speak to starts lecturing you in disgust when she finds out you voted for Brexit or the Conservatives then we are exposed to far more 'political debate' that we used to be

itfciain

Grand Master
SAVORY100 said:
Surely something has to change about voting privileges, is it time for the P.R debate?

The biggest issue with PR is that it generally creates hung parliaments which in turn means a great deal more time spent on trying to do deals. I am not against coalitions - in fact I think the Con/Lib pact in 2010 worked very well for the country (just not the Libs) - but when you have 5 or 6 parties all colluding together to try and form a Government then I don't think much gets done

Imagine the damage that UKIP could have done with their proportion of the votes in the previous Election

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Social media is an interesting thing to mention, going on my Facebook feed Labour would have had a 95% majority. I don't think I saw anybody publicly own up to voting conservative, and a few green/lib dems here and there. Facebook is all about looking cool, and voting tory is not cool. However the results speak for themselves - social media is a lot of hot air and quite distant from reality.

x-pack

Grand Master
Weasel - I agree with you on the services. Some of these public sector jobs are full of the sick and lazy. I've known people spend their whole career doing as little as possible before retiring from the cushiest of office jobs ...and there are thousands of these posts across the UK!

I came from a trade to public sector so I know what hard work is. But loads of these people have no idea. Can't speak for the NHS but the wasted money sickens me. If i were in charge each and every public sector employee would be made to justify their position. Most could, no question. But I would get shut of hundreds, if not thousands and replace them with an efficient appreciative work force

After that I would start the construction of my new space station. The governments of the world would have to pay to stop me blowing everyone up! Mwahaha!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom