Does anyone know anything about this Harbert VCJ?

Palifan

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
Hi Ian, cool pictures. Nice to see there is more of them with that sticker. Maybe only this shop in the UK sold cards with those stickers on :?

I have seen the same so far in denmark, that a supermarket called NETTO is the only ones that I have seen that sold cards with clipper stickers on in denmark.

And our Toy stores called BR are the only ones I have seen in denmark selling meccano cards.

Hi Lars and happy New Year!

It's good to hear that similar foreign card backs can turn up in various countries. I only thought we ever had Palitoy in the Uk until joining here and realising that Kenner was also shipped here in the Empire days. That explains why I had an orange snake Yoda growing up and that version wasn't released until much later on a UK card.

I also thought it was worth putting that second picture up as the price sticker is from the same store, it certainly does look like at least one store in the UK was selling this card back variation………although I'm not sure all the canine's out there would agree :lol:

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
wbobafett said:
....besides this also has a crushed edge from peeling it off! :?

Sorry I cant help doubting these. I never saw a legit sticker with that kind of damage!

What about the bottom right corner of this one?

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=dis ... m_id=62238

Justin

Padawan
Joe said:
I have to admit, seeing the ESB 41 back Leia with both the same store sticker and the ESB Harbert sticker definitely helps prove the SW Jawa could be a reality Justin.

I don't suppose you have any other cards that have both stickers on?

Sorry no more cards that I have found have this sticker on it. I am sure I have more cards in the loft, there are a load missing. My dad used to work as a sales rep in London so visited the same shops regularly which leads me to think I may have other cards somewhere with the Harbert sticker on, my memory leads me to believe I had a few figures with these stickers on.
I have to admit working in the field of psychology I cant help but be amused at the different angles people view this from.
I do hope to find some more Harberts…. I still find it laughable to think I may have a stash of Harbert stickers I have secretly applied to these random cards….

Anyhow…. I will keep looking, my curiosity has been aroused.

J

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Palifan said:
Pomse2001 said:
Hi Ian, cool pictures. Nice to see there is more of them with that sticker. Maybe only this shop in the UK sold cards with those stickers on :?

I have seen the same so far in denmark, that a supermarket called NETTO is the only ones that I have seen that sold cards with clipper stickers on in denmark.

And our Toy stores called BR are the only ones I have seen in denmark selling meccano cards.

Hi Lars and happy New Year!

It's good to hear that similar foreign card backs can turn up in various countries. I only thought we ever had Palitoy in the Uk until joining here and realising that Kenner was also shipped here in the Empire days. That explains why I had an orange snake Yoda growing up and that version wasn't released until much later on a UK card.

I also thought it was worth putting that second picture up as the price sticker is from the same store, it certainly does look like at least one store in the UK was selling this card back variation………although I'm not sure all the canine's out there would agree :lol:

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks and a Happy New Year to you :D

Maybe they could not sell them in Italy and found a buyer in the uk that could sell them :?

That can also explain why I have only found meccano stuff so far with stickers on from the toy store BR in denmark and clipper in Netto. I have also found canadian stuff from BR in Denmark, but not any canadian stuff in any other danish stores.

Joe

Grand Master
Justin said:
Joe said:
I have to admit, seeing the ESB 41 back Leia with both the same store sticker and the ESB Harbert sticker definitely helps prove the SW Jawa could be a reality Justin.

I don't suppose you have any other cards that have both stickers on?

Sorry no more cards that I have found have this sticker on it. I am sure I have more cards in the loft, there are a load missing. My dad used to work as a sales rep in London so visited the same shops regularly which leads me to think I may have other cards somewhere with the Harbert sticker on, my memory leads me to believe I had a few figures with these stickers on.
I have to admit working in the field of psychology I cant help but be amused at the different angles people view this from.
I do hope to find some more Harberts…. I still find it laughable to think I may have a stash of Harbert stickers I have secretly applied to these random cards….

Anyhow…. I will keep looking, my curiosity has been aroused.

J

Justin with all due respect, you have to appreciate that this hobby has been hit time and time again by scammers. We've had sticker offer scams, prototype scams, bagged figure scams, reseals, damage cover ups, fakes and reproductions are rife. In fact even as we speak we are even going through a rather unfortunate issue with a dealer who may have been passing off his own creations as factory sealed figures for the last 20+ years.

With that said I hope you can understand that it doesn't pay for any of us to accept things without questioning them first. If your Jawa card with the Harbert sticker was seen as suspicious it's because it's the first of it's kind ever seen and nothing about it seemed to make any sense, add to that the fact that you are new on the boards with no history or reputation for people to trust in and you can see why people are going to be suspicious.

Like I said from the get go, "I would be very surprised if this was real" and I genuinely am because until now we have never seen one of these before.

After seeing your ESB 41 back Leia card with the sticker I can appreciate now that when you came to the forum you were more interested in the valuation of the figure and not so much the card. If you had any idea of the importance of the sticker on that early card I am sure you would have validated your claim that it was original by showing us the Leia sooner.

Hope that explains a little why something that looks too good to be true or doesn't make sense is met with a healthy dose of scepticism. You shouldn't really take it personally either even if it feels like people are calling you a liar. After all, we don't know you from Adam and this could have been a wind up. We get a lot of odd people sign up with weird and wonderful items and stories and the majority aren't genuine.

Joe

Justin

Padawan
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that mate, I do appreciate it seriously I do, I have been part of forums in the past, I appreciate this hobby gets nailed by nasty, greedy immoral types Ive seen it, I was gobsmacked when I first learnt about people doing a makeover on the VCJ with Obi wan capes, Its not my nature so it always baffles me why people behave in such unethical ways.

I appreciate scepticism, It has infact made me more curious and it stopped me from selling too hastily. What I do take offence to is members chiming in with their tuppence worth every three or four posts claiming to be a know it all and basically questioning my integrity. People have been stitched up, havent we all, Ive been done over time and again when buying cars, it makes me cynical, and makes me expect to be shafted. I do however try to respect those who are selling. By all means have an opinion, I agree the sticker stuff is odd, I had no idea it would be an issue, I dont know enough about this hobby to remark. I just find it amusing that some members are hell bent on suggesting Ive been tampering with something to make it seem like a one off? I dont have the time or inclination to be honest. That said I really appreciate the positive remarks and the help I have received in trying to value and post my items for you guys to look at.
It takes all types…petulance and infantile behaviour made me turn my back on costuming forums which I had help set up, the sci fi scene has a fair amount of odd characters.

I appreciate I have turned up out of the blue hence why I have given a small insight into my background. I bet those who are doubting this figure are actually those who have no interest or ability to buy it anyway. Peoples motives are always mixed, Im sure some people dont want it to be real….In my line of work you get to know a lot about human behaviour and actions. Also online personas can be very different to reality.

I reserve the right to defend myself though and will continue to do so. What I do know is I will continue to remain ethical and deal with every request and every offer fairly and honestly, the stuff Im selling will sell and I will get what I want for the Jawa even if it relists time and again. I have nothing to hide and nothing to lose….this stuffs been sitting in a loft for nearly 30 years. No dramas this end.

I am grateful for you taking the time to post Joe. Best wishes to everyone in 2014 whatever your opinion…opinions are like arse holes, we all have one and we all think everyone elses stink….. :D

J

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
Palifan said:
wbobafett said:
....besides this also has a crushed edge from peeling it off! :?

Sorry I cant help doubting these. I never saw a legit sticker with that kind of damage!

What about the bottom right corner of this one?

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=dis ... m_id=62238

The link says:

"hackers go home" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WTF????

Anyway...I know how a peeled edge loks like...we all tried as childs and grown ups to transfer stickers from one ship to another to make it complete, save beacuse of washing it, or whatever.....haven't we??

The thing is I can assure you from my work (restorer of art) that it would be even possible to do so without leaving ANY hints! I even would doubt it if it would look good. Give me a harbert stickered card and an original SW VC Jawa! Ill do it for you and not even Afa would notice! Just let me know ;) ( note: I will charge you for that unique piece of course ;) )

But these?? Comon...the same "hints" and traces on BOTH stickers?!?!? Crushed edges on both?? From peeling it off another card??

And on another note: Why is it always noobs whcih at the same time only try to sell their stuff?!?!? Coincidence??

Palifan

Sith Lord
Not quite sure what happened with the link but I'll try again, bottom right corner -

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=62238

I don't doubt for a second that this would be a fairly easy sticker to transfer but I just don't think Justin did it is all I'm saying.

One last thing I found was this thread on RS -

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1097893-2/

I'm wondering if the 4 non Harbert logo ones may also have this sticker on the back? I don't know who ended up winning this lot but it would be investing to know if anyone does.

Ian

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
I am not pointing fingers...just saying "someone" did it seems (IMO)

If you compare the card from the archive it is a sticker that obviously "could" have been damaged because the edge is flushing over the cardback. And even that sticker edge looks more "lifted" and not as bad crushed as the Leia one....where the edge is totally save!!

I am just saying this! Think about it.....especially before you pull the trigger!

Palifan

Sith Lord
I don't really see how I'm pulling the trigger any more than you?

It's just a matter of opinion on this and it can be continued to be questioned until another turns up (which I'm sure it won't) but I don't think anyone will know for sure. It just seems very odd to me that both of Jusin's Harbert sticker card backs have the same price sticker on them. I can't help but think it's just old stock that somehow had a sticker applied to it in a factory at some point. Remember this card was bought back in the day and I really doubt people would have been changing things around back then to make some sort of variation.

Did you also see this link I posted Wolff? - http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1097893-2/

Not that this has anything to do with the VCJ but just wondered if the 4 non Harbert logo ones were more 41 back sticker examples.

Ian

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
It seems I am getting missunderstood all the time: It was a general statment saying: think before you buy ("pulling the trigger"...right???).

Sorry...I am not native english speaking person.....*sigh*...I leave it to that..

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I do not know Justin and as far as peeling stickers off cards and swapping them...anything is possible. So far the guy seems be pulling things out from his childhood collection and in my opinion that is all he is doing. I think the recent Joiner/Toni paranoia is spreading.

Palifan

Sith Lord
wbobafett said:
It seems I am getting missunderstood all the time: It was a general statment saying: think before you buy ("pulling the trigger"...right???).

Sorry...I am not native english speaking person.....*sigh*...I leave it to that..

Sorry Wolff, I understand where you're coming from and I think you're right about knowing exactly what you're getting before dropping money on something.

It's tricky to know what to think when it's a new discovery (potential), but I know if I'd seen another 12 back Palitoy VCJ opened card back I would have jumped at it even with the knowledge that it may not have been the real deal. I think people who have a special fondness of everything Jawa will know if it's something they want for their collection or not.

No hard feelings intended by anything I've posted :D

I also think you're right TFB that the TT situation has slightly bent peoples noses out of joint (some more than others for obvious reasons). It's such a shame when things like this happen as it tends to throw everything under the spot light, even things people never really had any doubt about.

Ian

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi Ian, maybe a guy have put the sticker wrong on the card in italy, that could happen we are only human and we all make mistakes and people do not have time at the factory to place the stickers on 100% correct.

When we mail goods every day at work we use labels, when it goes fast some of them could be placed wrong and look just like the ones you have. I see it nearly every day at work and I have also done it many times.

Justin

Padawan
Im bemused…. I think it goes without saying the stickers were applied y hand (Wherever that was) All the Harbert stickers and I must say other stickers I have seen on the huge variation of figure cards look wonky or somewhat askew. 30 years ago factory workers were probably manually sticking them on. I cant believe the paranoia round here, something bad must have gone down for sure.

I do recall as a kid being very curious and trying to peek under a sticker, cant recall which one but I know I had more than two with Harbert stickers as a kid.

I can see why there is such crazy vibe going on, reading between the lines I can see something happened around here that left its mark.

I am exactly whats been described, a 42 year old fella who has stuff I want rid of, Im no collector and have no love for sci-fi forums or forums of any type. Im not into Star Wars….that said Im certainly not disrespecting you guys that are…Im just saying Im not in it for any other reason than to shift some childhood stuff for a hopefully reasonable price.

Then I will be gone….lets be honest Im no collector, Im here to get shot of stuff to good homes to people who will cherish the things Im selling. Im not going to be dishonest.

I just think people are over thinking things….with good reason for sure.

Best wishes J

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I agree with you justin, I also have some us and japanese stickers that is not placed correct on the card. I don't think that makes them fake.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Maybe Apollo know more about those stickers, he is also a Harbert collector :D

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12258&hilit=harbert

jay4

Jedi Knight
Palifan said:
Not quite sure what happened with the link but I'll try again, bottom right corner -

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=62238

dfrnce here in that photo is theres no evidence of peel ie colour break or lining creasing , wrinkling etc its more than clear to see that rear sticker has simply lifted or unstuck naturaly

Palifan

Sith Lord
That's true about the sticker but it sounds like Justin may have had a little peel himself as a child.

As I've said before, I really don't think there's anything suspect about this item where Justin's concerned as initially he was only looking for a valuation for the Jawa really and it was I who noticed the odd card back and asked him for permission to start a thread about it. As for how this piece came into being, well that's the thing that's up for debate. I still like to think that this is just something that happened to help sell this item better back in the Empire days rather than anything else. The fact of the price sticker really helps to show this (with the other card back).

It would be great if Justin does come across any other of these card backs that he remembers from his childhood.

I do think we're pretty much at that point now where anyone interested in this piece will have to make their own mind up about it as it's up on ebay. Maybe Lars's connection will still be able to shed some light on all of this.

Ian

Apollo

Padawan
hi

the sticker exists on esb cards and mini rigs.
It is legit?
personnaly i dont think so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom