Discolored Vintage Star Wars Toy

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Max Rebo does suffer from bad plastic degradation, I'm no expert as my one is ok from memory, but I seem to remember other treads on here about the state that this figures colour can get into, might be worth a search on here, seem to remember the legs and arms being much lighter than the body on bad examples
I think some figures fair worse than others depending on the type of plastics and dyes and oils used in production, as well as the usual environmental exposure

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mr-Trilogo said:
I have a question regarding Max Rebo.

I recently got back into collecting, hence me joining the forum, and checked back on all my childhood stuff.

I realized my Max Rebo piano had a few keys broken so I bought another on eBay without Max, (just the instrument). Little Max was stored elsewhere and despite being one of the last "figures" I ever bought as a child, (never exposed to the sun etc)... it was all sticky and two toned : like discolored. ( I can post a pic later on).

Just had a quick look on eBay without great success, so my question is was there ever an all blue / homogenous Max Rebo ? Or were they all bi-colour /two tone, with lighter blue head and arms and a darker body?

Despite being sticky when I found him, (it disappeared after a repeated hot soapy water wash) I would consider my Rebo pretty solid, with tight limbs, and zero paint loss.

I am not sure but it is a good question, I think it is discolored. But I always see only the head and the arms that does not have the same colour as the body. Maybe the plastic was different since they change in colour or maybe the arms or legs was made on another factory, I have no idea :? But yes please share your picture of it :D On cardbacks, boxes and in catalogs he is also all blue on the pictures.

Here is one of the best ones I have found but arms and legs is still not 100% the same colour as the torso but very close.

band.JPG

and here is one of mine that is not so good :(

01.JPG

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
[/quote]The shoulders looks like to have the same color as the torso and also on the other link, I can see the color is different on the other picture but that could be light or flash etc. etc. are the shoulders also discoloured on your yak ? :?[/quote]

Yes I would say the shoulders have discoloured as well.

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
Cheers for the replies guys.

Pomse2001 said:
Here is one of the best ones I have found but arms and legs is still not 100% the same colour as the torso but very close.

band.JPG

Wow this set is from your personal collection? The difference on Max is minimal.

Here is how mine looks, I wouldn't be so disappointed if this wasn't the figure from my Childhood as I have a "sentimental attachment" to it.

Now I have to find another more homogeneous one which adds to my ever growing WTB list :(

Legs and body are different but close, that's how I'd expect head and arms to be .

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
The shoulders looks like to have the same color as the torso and also on the other link, I can see the color is different on the other picture but that could be light or flash etc. etc. are the shoulders also discoloured on your yak ? :?[/quote]

Yes I would say the shoulders have discoloured as well.[/quote]

ok, wow I have only seen the torso that has discoloured on the yak before, but never the shoulders :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mr-Trilogo said:
Cheers for the replies guys.

Pomse2001 said:

band.JPG

Wow this set is from your personal collection? The difference on Max is minimal.

Here is how mine looks, I wouldn't be so disappointed if this wasn't the figure from my Childhood as I have a "sentimental attachment" to it.

Now I have to find another more homogeneous one which adds to my ever growing WTB list :(

Legs and body are different but close, that's how I'd expect head and arms to be .

IMG_2935.jpg
IMG_2936.jpg

Yes mate it is from my collection, yes the difference on Max is minimal but I can still see a little difference :(

I do not know how hard it is to find one that is as good as the one I have. But I have had more than 10 Max Rebo in my hands and most of them have looked like yours and the other one I have :( I hope you find a more blue one :wink:

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
Pomse2001 said:
I do not know how hard it is to find one that is as good as the one I have. But I have had more than 10 Max Rebo in my hands and most of them have looked like yours and the other one I have :( I hope you find a more blue one :wink:

Thanks, I would say rather hard locally. The Rebo band wasn't widely distributed in France. The one on eBay FR are ridiculously high priced and the Max are no better than mine.

I'll have to go "worldwide style" and I don't expect it to be cheap in the end.

Once again congrats on your set, it's the best I've seen within my limited online community experience. :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Mr-Trilogo said:

I recently got back into collecting, hence me joining the forum, and checked back on all my childhood stuff.

I realized my Max Rebo piano had a few keys broken so I bought another on eBay without Max, (just the instrument). Little Max was stored elsewhere and despite being one of the last "figures" I ever bought as a child, (never exposed to the sun etc)... it was all sticky and two toned : like discolored. ( I can post a pic later on).

Just had a quick look on eBay without great success, so my question is was there ever an all blue / homogenous Max Rebo ? Or were they all bi-colour /two tone, with lighter blue head and arms and a darker body?

Despite being sticky when I found him, (it disappeared after a repeated hot soapy water wash) I would consider my Rebo pretty solid, with tight limbs, and zero paint loss.
Here is mine. I believe they all start out the same colour but as the torso is made of different plastic to the limbs it accounts for the discolouration when it is exposed to environmental factors such as uv rays and humidity

Attachments

• EFF3D161-965B-417E-975F-C843B4A78333.jpeg
    EFF3D161-965B-417E-975F-C843B4A78333.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 709

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mr-Trilogo said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks, I would say rather hard locally. The Rebo band wasn't widely distributed in France. The one on eBay FR are ridiculously high priced and the Max are no better than mine.

I'll have to go "worldwide style" and I don't expect it to be cheap in the end.

Once again congrats on your set, it's the best I've seen within my limited online community experience. :)

thanks mate, I am sure there is better one than mine out there :wink: I hope you find one soon :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Mr-Trilogo said:

Here is mine. I believe they all start out the same colour but as the torso is made of different plastic to the limbs it accounts for the discolouration when it is exposed to environmental factors such as uv rays and humidity

Also a nice blue one, I think you are right. It would be to strange to make them with such light arms and heads. But if it is correct then I think it is also scary to see how many Discolored max rebo that is out there :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
And here is an example of how much they can degrade

Yes very scary, what about the legs are they also fine on that one ? As I see it most of the time it is only legs and head that change a lot :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
And here is an example of how much they can degrade

Yes very scary, what about the legs are they also fine on that one ? As I see it most of the time it is only legs and head that change a lot :shock:
This is one currently on sale on ebay

ok thanks, sorry I thought it was yours :oops:

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
TheJabbaWookie said:

Wow yours is a pretty solid exemple as well, I'm envious.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
are any of you ready to discuss discolored Biker Scouts ? :lol: do any of you have the same problems ? :?

Here are one of mine, it is a meccano :(

biker scour.jpg

MightyMike

Padawan
Is this classed as discoloured? To me it looks like the colour has completely gone from his body , and even gone from under the paint (scratched a small bit off) and under the joints.

My question is, would it have left the factory like this or has this degraded over time? I've not seen any colour variation on a Luke X-Wing before but haven't ever really taken much interest in this figure so this could be as common as muck

Any thoughts?

Luke 1.JPG
Luke 2.JPG

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That looks like it's been outside in the sun and rain for years

MightyMike

Padawan
I just assumed that if it was down to environmental effects, the paint application would have protected some of the colour underneath? But the colour leaching seems to be uniform over the whole body, even the 'hidden' areas

Anyway, least of his problems - definitely a beater

Luke 3.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom