Cinemas, time to go?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I read an interview with a director this morning that was warning cinemas may disappear forever due to conronavirus. And it got me thinking, would this actually be a bad thing?

Cinema started over 100 years ago when nobody had TVs at home. It was still very popular up until the early 2000s, when home TVs and stereos were still far inferior to the cinema. But now that almost every home has a 50+" TV, surround sound and 4K streaming services, I personally would rather watch new films at home. Going to the cinema is simply an inconvenience for me, I would rather not watch a film next to people shouting or laughing, and I would definitely rather not pay £10 for a coke and a bag of popcorn. Watching a film in the comfort of my own home with the best view in the house and at a time that suits me is much more appealing.

Does anybody still actually enjoy going to the cinema? Or should we confine these historic but now frankly pointless venues to history? Everybody still wants to watch new movies, they just want to do it differently. And this isn't the first time an industry has been late to the party regarding what its users want, instead trying to cling on to the past. Coronavirus may be a catalyst, but I think cinemas were already in decline long before this.

lejackal

Grand Master
I worked in cinemas for a few years, both front of house and as a projectionist (when they still had actual film, not digital downloads). Before that I went regularly, 90s to the turn of the century and when I worked there I watched pretty much every new release (it was free or in some cases I was paid to do so. Post 2001 when I changed jobs I still went a couple of times a month but only for stuff I really wanted to watch, after probably 05-07 ish that dropped down to just watching big films, Marvel/Star Wars/Hobbit etc. Now (pre pandemic) it's still the big films plus the occasional kids film, although I only normally take the kids when they have the cheap showings- I'm not spending £50 plus to walk out before the end because they're cocking about. Post pandemic I'll probably revert to the same, although now I've got a 4K tv I'm pretty sure the picture quality in my front room is just as good as the cinema, if not better.

It could be the end of the cinema but if it is does that also mean the end of the big blockbuster movie? They still make tens or even hundreds of millions in ticket revenue.

lejackal

Grand Master
Would you pay ten or twenty quid at home to watch one movie or would you wait for it to be included in your normal subscription service/s?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I wouldn't pay £20 to stream a new film, but I would pay £5-10. There are plenty of big budget straight to streaming series on Netflix/Amazon etc, they must be making a profit so maybe the film industry needs to learn how to do the same?

lejackal

Grand Master
It will be interesting to see how Mulan does, if Disney publishes the details as that is straight to Disney+ and is 20 quid.

Personally I might pay 5-10 but it would be very select films, most I'm more than happy to wait for them to hit Sky etc

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Netflix is in debt of more than £12 billion, I think cinemas will always have a place in our life time. VUE tickets are always £5 per person now. This is the way!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think price is the big factor.

If Disney and the like think people are going to pay £20 to download/stream their latest movie they may be in for a nasty shock. YES, that is less than 2/3/4 tickets to the cinema (depending on where you live, when you go, etc) before food and drink comes in, but it's also a hell of a lot just to download a film that, let's be honest, can probably be found ehh 'elsewhere' within a few days for free.
I think a lot of the big movie companies also seem to think people will pay X a month subscription for their service before then shelling out £20 for every big release. I don't see that happening. If the subscription included all new releases, possibly, again price dependent.

I quite enjoyed a trip to the cinema, yeah, it was expensive, the mark up on popcorn must be 1000%, but I didn't mind it for a once every couple of months trip. Saying that I have never had kids old enough to take, so that may affect my sentiments.

The big releases will still happen, it will just take the film companies a few months/years to work out how to replace the cinema ticket revenue with download/streaming revenue. Especially as a lot of people would have watched a film in the cinema and then bought the DVD/download, effectively paying twice for it. Who knows, maybe they will see sense and realise that offering it for download at a fiver will mean a hell of a lot more people watch/download it, than trying to flog it at £20+

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't wanna own a cinema right now. (Nor a pub)

UKS

Jedi Knight
Depends on the film. Star Wars works much better in a full cinema than at home. You've all heard the tapes of audience reactions from the seventies - For me that really sells a big film. Not in a financial way, but in a pro wrestling way! It makes you feel the emotion much more strongly than solo viewing.

However, a lot of films are just average or not rollercoaster rides - Those are fine on TV. Which TBH is most the films I watch these days.

I don't mind the cost personally. It's more the downside of other humans. (Chatting, phones, bad behaviour etc)

UKS

jayjedi

Sith Lord
I personally don't think you get a better experience watching a movie at home rather than going to the cinema. Yes a cinema trip is expensive, but you can get cheaper tickets during the day and if you want to reduce the costs further, pick up snacks before hand. There is something special about that moment of anticipation, the endless adverts finish, the title appears along with the rating and silence descends the audience ( well most of them) and then the music kicks in and the film begins with huge words scrolling up the gigantic screen

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....

Not sure Star Wars would have resonated across the world and over the past 40 years as it has if we had all have watched it on TV. But I guess it is prejudiced to just use Star Wars as an example :D . Jaws, James Bond, Alien, countless Sci Fi films and the Marvel universe to name but a few, not sure they have the same impact out of the cinema. I think Infinity War was one of the best cinema experiences I have been to, just to be in that auditorium when the credits come up at the end and the audience were WTF, the gasps of what ! Even on the pirated copy I downloaded after going to the cinema twice to see it, which was a webcam, just the reaction from other people, you cannot get that at home. I went to watch A Quiet Place in the cinema and the experience was amazing, the silence added so much to the intensity, it was unlike any other cinema experience. I have since watched it at home and it just doesn't work, vehicles passing by, a plane passing overhead ETC. May be my home watching experience is different to others, I do have a big TV and comfy sofa, my homemade popcorn is not bad but I also have a ****ing doorbell, a telephone, 3 cats and kids to interrupt. So if there is a film I want to watch, I would always try and go and see it in the cinema, as I just love " Bollocks to everything else in the world, for the next two hours my time is mine"

indianawars

Sith Lord
Cinemas no longer provide a magical experience; it's their own fault. When you walk into a lobby, there's no wow factor anymore—certainly no reason to be excited. Back when Jurassic Park was released, I remember the entire lobby was decorated to reflect the film, employees wearing shirts with the film logo on it. These days, you barely get a standee in the corner.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I think the key factor is a trip to the cinema being " an experience" cinema near me when we do go is Manchester in a complex which has shops restaurants bars and a cinema - take the grand kids have a burger then on to a film but I must admit for me trips to the cinema are few and far between as I have a 4 k Tv picture quality is great and as you say in the comfort of your own home.
It was a tradition for me and my lad to book tickets every time a new SW film came out and go to the midnight showing, it was just a thing for me and him.
However I remember as a kid the pearl & dean interval with the usherette coming down the isle with ice cream :lol:

I think it would be a shame to lose the big screen experience but times change and if cinemas closed then the new generations coming through wouldn't miss what they haven't had, cinema would be confined to the memory banks of " the good old days"

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Michael Sith
However I remember as a kid the pearl & dean interval with the usherette coming down the isle with ice cream :lol:

Don't forget that they also sold those plastic orange juice's and fags...who remembers smoking in the pictures?

Cinemas...dirty sticky carpets, god know whats on the seat/headrest, some kid kicking fu*k out of the back of my seat, phones going off, people who go for a chat about what happened at work today (WTF), crunching in my ear, (why do people have to eat crap while watching a film, surely they can go 2 hours without eating something? :roll:), endless adverts, having nowhere to put my coat, over priced tickets (as I can't go during the day when it's cheap), taking 1/2 hour to get out of the carpark, yeh, I love my trips to the cinema, which happen about once every other year... I wonder why?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I rarely go to the cinema (maybe twice a year) but you can't beat a big blockbuster release like SW or Marvel on the big screen IMO. I don't see them all surviving but I would miss the experience if they all disappeared.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I used to enjoy a trip to the cinema, but...

edd_jedi said:
I would rather not watch a film next to people shouting or laughing

This does my head in and is the main reason I rarely go. People pratting about on their phones, talking instead of watching, etc... I don't recall it being as bad 20-30 years ago.

We have a few artsy-type cinemas near us which don't suffer from this and I do enjoy going to these, but there are few films I'm actually bothered about seeing in the cinema these days. The variety of streaming and download services coupled with the volume of viewing material available also make it less appealing. I'd be sad to see them go but, to me at least, they don't feel relevant any more.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
When my daughters were kids i took them to the cinema for the experience so they would remember it, as i did when i was a kid watching, One of our dinosaurs is missing , Empire and other classics with my mum and dad, now their all grow up i don't go but it would be a shame if kids in the future don't get to experience the big screen with their parents. But i suppose all things move on .

2stripes

Jedi Master
I have Odeon unlimited with my lad, as I got them half price through work. Its a good opportunity for us to do something together and kids love the cinema so I think there's a place for it for a while at least but the industry is struggling defintely. The concessions are expensive but when you look at the numbers they get these days you wonder how they survive. I booked 2 tickets to watch ESB a couple of weeks ago, I thought it would be rammed and when we got there at 7pm on a Saturday there was 2 other people watching. I can see why Cineworld have shut, there are no new films and what they're putting on no one wants to risk watching.

Personally I really struggle to focus on films these days, my attention span is awful. I actually like the fact I can't reach for my phone after 10 minutes and start to google random actors that I recognise! Its such a bad habit but I can't a the cinema :D :D .

I have to say though, having reclining seats and a 55" tv at home does take away the novelty a bit. I think cinemas days are probably numbered really.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I still enjoy the cinema. I get that a lot of releases don't really need to be seen on the big screen, but it's the whole experience that is worth it. Switching off the phone, focussing on the film without the distractions of being at home and experiencing movies in what should be their optimal format.
I hope we don't lose that option.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom