Can Anyone Recommend A Good Printer?

x-pack

Grand Master
Can anyone help

Our HP printer is a bit too temperamental, so it's time to get rid. I want something new that will print decent quality photos and scan documents. At the moment i'm using the printer for photos and making bits for my reseals.

Can anyone recommend something that's cheap(ish) and the cartridges don't cost a fortune to replace?

Thanks 8)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Best to shop around, get one that's Wifi, and individual ink, so you only replace the cartridge colour that has run out, maybe someone more knowledgeable will chip in mate, but this one looks ok?

http://direct.asda.com/Epson-Expression-Home-XP-212---multifunction-printer-%28-colour-%29/000514789,default,pd.html

poncho

Grand Master
if its for photos and moc repairs id recommend canon photo printer with all in ones feautures scanner etc as they have the best quality ink pigment! all printers are now wifi. where canon is better for quality it loses out in ink costs as they are the most expensive, you get what you pay for.

id also reccomend hp photosmart printers about £80ish i bought my inlaws one of these and have been v impressed with the quality.

good quality paper is key for best results.

epson are on a par with hp really in terms of quality though with epson inks you get a little bit more out of the ink cartridge you get more mils, epson XL catridges are good value for money in the long run.

steer clear of non branded inks as these can **** up your printer

to do not buy advent printers (currys brand) or kodak! kodak are the cheapest for ink but do no longer make printers for consumers

so canon for quality
epson good value and reasonable quality
then hp!

regards
chris

x-pack

Grand Master
Knew you guys would give good advice. I have a Canon printer in the attic thats about 4 years old. It ran out of ink and then I started using the wife's HP, which is a pain in the arse.

I have been using refills from cartridge world and they don't agree with the printer. Might get cartridges for the Canon. Dunno though because new ones are almost as much as a printer.

a problem I've had with printing sw cardbacks is the black. I heard that black cartridge ink isn't suitable for photo paper. I've found it rubs off which is something to do with print settings, but on full photo print where the black is mixed from the colour cartridge the colour isn't right. If anyone has tips with that I would appreciate the help

plantman

Sith Lord
bluetooth is different mate, you need actual wireless function, most printers have it now, much better than plugging in to print.

Fitzy

Jedi Knight
I recently bought a Canon MG7150. Not the cheapest at £150 but it's really good. It has black and pigment black ink tanks which sound useful to you. They have cheaper ones in the range with the same types of black which may be better if you don't need anything as fancy. I think all the range are Wi-Fi.

It's multifunction and you can close it up while it is still loaded simultaneously with both A4 and photo paper.

x-pack

Grand Master
That sounds interesting. The black is the biggest pain in the arse with our current printer.

Does having different ink tanks mean more expensive ink refills?

Fitzy

Jedi Knight
I think pretty much every manufacturer screw you on the cost of ink because that is how they sell the printers so cheap. Just make sure whatever you get has separate ink tanks so you can replace them individually.

rob71

Sith Lord
Agree, the newer Canon ones are pretty good. I've had mine (MG6250) for around 18 months now, still going strong. It has two black ink tanks, one small and one double the size. I only buy 3rrd party inks for a fraction of the price but make sure you search for a reputable seller (if you look on Amazon you'll find some really good ones, MoreInks is a good UK seller). Comparing them to genuine Canon carts I have seen no difference in quality as long as you use decent paper.

x-pack

Grand Master
Can anyone give advice on the black printing? With my HP I had real problems with this. The black would either rub off or it had a coloured hue which didn't match the cardback black. In the end (on my Palitoy AtAt driver) I ended using a Sharpie marker which actually worked amazingly well :) Not the best solution though.

I am still looking into this. Went into Maplins and Sainsburys today. Just a bewildering array of printers and neither had people who seemed to know what they were on about. I'm gonna order one online and go off reviews/advice.

Thanks for the help guys. There are some good recommended models on here that i'll be looking at.

plantman

Sith Lord
you get what you pay for really, but ive never had a problem with epsons, i'm in charge of the printers and they cost a lot! you could buy yourself a nice mono laser printer if you need good quality

i have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Expression-All-In-One-Printer-Connect/dp/B00DUW4EN4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385474161&sr=8-3&keywords=epson+printer

cheap but does exactly what i need, the wife prints off her work on it with no problems.

on the plus side its tiny for a printer and wifi.

x-pack

Grand Master
Thanks Plantman. That Epson has received some good reviews. Wasn't sure where to go with the Canon printers. They seem to have a lot of functions that I wouldn't use ..most do though. There were also a lot of reviews with people complaining of errors on the Canons.

The Epson you recommended is looking favourite at the moment - it's cheap, has separate ink pots, cartridges are cheap and the reviewers all say the print quality is top notch. It also seems to do some of the fancy stuff but i'm not arsed about printing from a phone or bluetooth.

plantman

Sith Lord
yeah, and getting good paper also helps, ink looks crap on crap paper too.

the printing from a phone is handy though, if you need to print off a web page or a label you dont have to load up the PC or laptop to do it.

its the smallest printer i have rfound with a scanner and wifi for this price too.

ps. there is a cheaper model without the additional functions and lcd screen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Expression-Wireless-Multifunction-Printer/dp/B00B7T6M46/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385485982&sr=8-6&keywords=epson+expression

but the wifi setup has to be done via a computer rather than on the printer itself.

x-pack

Grand Master
Hmm ..another good one.

RE: paper, i've been using Tesco Quality Inkjet photo paper and also Staples photo premium glossy. Printing these cardbacks means a lot of messing about with sizing and then there was the issue of my HP playing up. It means that i've been loath to spend a lot on paper. Does it really make a huge difference. The Tesco paper says to show it as HP premium on my old printer. There's a huge list of different papers on the menu. In what way does it make a difference?

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Like I said...Epson makes good printers......I have used other brands....only to get pissed and either sell them or break them. :wink:

I would say the worst printer I have ever used was a Kodak..............huge waste of money....print quality was worse than a printers from the early 90's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom