Beckham

bluesnagman

Padawan
Can you believe this guy is coming to the US? They pay him $250,000,000 and about 50,000 people care. What in the world are they thinking? I personally can't wait to see him play, washed up or not. What do you guys think?
Todd

spoons

Grand Master
There's a chance he'll raise the profile of the game and I hope he does, but I get the impression US sporting fans just don't like sports with matches that end 0-0, Beckham or no Beckham

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I agree with the other three, if someone offers you that much money to live in California you'd be mad not to take it.
That much to live there, or less than half that to live somewhere not quite as glamorous, like Bolton, or Newcastle!?
I do think Beck's is overrated as a player though, but then so are the vast majority of premiership players.

Spoons, I don't think USA "sports" fans like any game that ends up with less than 100 points scored or that can be completed in less than 6 hours! Just look at Basketball, Baseball and that game they play that makes Rugby look interesting (now that is hard to do!) :D
I was about to say it's a wonder Cricket never took off, but it's probably a bit complicated.

Sorry Todd not slagging you off, just your fellow Americans liking for sports I can't stand! :wink: :D

jayjedi

Sith Lord
you cant blame him for taking the money they have offered, we all would jump at the chance .
i still think he should still be in the england squad if not the team. look at the world cup , i know we were crap but he scored a couple and still set up others .... he perhaps cant run like he used to but he is one of the players who still seems to give a **** when representing his country.

i was sad to see him leave united and was at the last game he played at OT against charlton, for united and he came round applauding all the stadium at the end. i know he is paid well but he always respects the fans

boba frett

Jedi Master
Lets face it Becks career is over and I'm very sad :(

Not because I rated him as a player, although he did well for United, but because he's my generation and I've got to accept that I'll never play in the Premiership or International Football!

Not that I was ever good enough to play at that level but the dream was still there - if I trained hard enough etc. Now I'm too old to even dream :cry:

Oh well back to the fantasy world of Star Wars collecting ...

bluesnagman

Padawan
It's not so much the low scoring as it is the exposure. We don't get many football(soccer) games here because there isn't time for commercials. Our networks will never put anything on unless there is plenty of time for them to make money. Most people over here have never seen a good match.
Todd

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It all boils down to money then! :D

Actually come to think of it anytime I watch an American channel on Sky I'm amazed that they go to commercials every bloody 7 mins, you get more commercials in a one hour tv program than you actually get TV!
I guess the time difference doesn't help with football either, all the best games are either Saturday/Sunday lunch time or Tuesday/Wednesday nights, which is first thing in the morning or mid afternoon for you lot.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Fair play to the guy I reckon. I'd be off like a flash too for that money. Hmm, chilling in the sun on Venice beach or getting mobbed by sweaty Italians in the street?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom