Beckham retirement

poncho

Grand Master
fair play for him playing till he was 38! i mean hes been past it for years so its not as though he needed the money he was global marketing boy, he just loved playing i guess however imo i think he was overated as a player. man u coaching staff maybe????????????

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Many times during his career he has been a pratt...

But looking back I love our Dave, who else could drive a speedboat down the Thames without getting a hair out of place.

Well James bond could but he was busy elsewhere :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Overrated one trick pony. Very good at crossing the ball, and TBH at his peak very fit, but more famous for his looks/life style/wife than his actual ability.

And before anyone spouts up with shite about THAT goal he scored against Greece way back when, if you go back and watch the game every single chance Greece got came from their left, England's right, cos he'd gone walk about and poor Gary Neville was getting raped.

Ohh and the free kick he scored that day was the NINTH he'd taken and the first that was on target.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
From a Man Utd. Perspective ..he was part of a group of players that came through and did something astonishing in the treble

If you watch the lead up to the goal in the final, you can see that Beckham, drove and pushed and fought and eventually won the corner,,the rest is history

I was gutted when he met Posh...you could see a mile off what was coming... But come on who among us would not have taken the opportunists that he has

As for his England career, he is not on his own in not succeeding there

He is an ambassador, and has the choice of what he does in the future, whatever you think, he was a gifted footballer in a team that was gifted, there are a lot of footballers out there, that could learn a lesson

I personally love Becks for what he did for UTD, he's a good lad at heart, and lets face it we could do with more role models in the world, nobody is perfect ( except my Mrs :wink: )

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I'm not a bitgfootball fan but there are a few players that stand out both on and off the field and Becks was/is one of them.

To have a pop at his talent is a little odd. Lets be fair you don't play for Utd and Madrid and even PSG, pick up 11 league titles in four different leagues and 115 caps for you country and grab a European Cup by being average.

I watched him play a lot in the 90's as my family are massive Utd fans and I got dragged along and I doubt you will find another player that worked as hard for a team as he did. I actually watched him play last year in LA and to say he was past it was harsh, he covered the ground, made his tackles and is distribution was still second to none.

He wasn't the flahsest of player but no one did what he did better.

And off the field he has been a great credit to his sport and this country, kids could do a lot worse than looking to him for how to behave.

mumbo

Sith Lord
monkey_roo said:
I'm not a bitgfootball fan but there are a few players that stand out both on and off the field and Becks was/is one of them.

To have a pop at his talent is a little odd. Lets be fair you don't play for Utd and Madrid and even PSG, pick up 11 league titles in four different leagues and 115 caps for you country and grab a European Cup by being average.

I watched him play a lot in the 90's as my family are massive Utd fans and I got dragged along and I doubt you will find another player that worked as hard for a team as he did. I actually watched him play last year in LA and to say he was past it was harsh, he covered the ground, made his tackles and is distribution was still second to none.

He wasn't the flahsest of player but no one did what he did better.

And off the field he has been a great credit to his sport and this country, kids could do a lot worse than looking to him for how to behave.

Have to agree with you there. Ok he was no Messi or Ronaldo but the guy had talent, hunger and desire and justified his place in each of the great teams he played in.

I do wonder though how different his career may have been if he didn't score that goal :)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Dn't get me wrong, he was a good player. "Very good" by Premiership standards, but not even half as good as a lot of people make him out to be.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
OK
Lets look at this another way, what makes a great player?

Is it purely skill? Look at that Mario chap who was at City for a bit, lots of skill there but is he a great player? What about Ronaldo at Utd? great skill but how often was there a trick to far, how many 1-0 or 2-0 games could have been 3 or 4 if he hadn't been such a showboater? Or crossover to my sport, Rugby, You have the likes of Henson, Cipriani, Spencer etc. all very, very skilled and talented but will they go down as greats? How many of these guys bleed for the team when the chips are down and how many just go missing? Metaphorically speaking.

If you look at it from the other side are great players the ones that work hardest, exploit every last ounce of what skill they have, gel with the teams they play in, fight for every ball, tirelessly support their team mate (on and off the field) but also ones that are capable of doing something special but know when to try and when not to.

For me Becks exhibited every quality a great player (in any sport) should have and while not a once in a generation player (Messi, Cantona etc.) his is a great player of his generation.

As a sporty type I would rather have a team of Beckham's than and team of Ronaldo's as an example - although the group hair gel bill would be much the same :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
You have to differentiate from the player and the brand, the brand is the money maker and fair play to him for that....would you not do the same...I would :!:

Beckham wasnt pacey, but was blessed with vision, super work rate and the way he could deliver a dead ball was awesome. He was an integral part of the 99 treble at Utd, the way he overlapped with Neville on the wing was superb to watch.
He had a passion for the game, put the hours in on the training field, more than a lot of players do, practicing free kicks and he was adored by utd fans
I salute Becks as a perfect example of a player getting the best out of his talent
Worth the wages he was paid, and brought his passion for the game to the game which added to the game for us all

Best of luck Becks

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:
You have to differentiate from the player and the brand, the brand is the money maker and fair play to him for that....would you not do the same...I would :!:

Beckham wasnt pacey, but was blessed with vision, super work rate and the way he could deliver a dead ball was awesome. He was an integral part of the 99 treble at Utd, the way he overlapped with Neville on the wing was superb to watch.
He had a passion for the game, put the hours in on the training field, more than a lot of players do, practicing free kicks and he was adored by utd fans
I salute Becks as a perfect example of a player getting the best out of his talent
Worth the wages he was paid, and brought his passion for the game to the game which added to the game for us all

Best of luck Becks

Agreed 100% 8)

mumbo

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Worth the wages he was paid

Whilst I agree with most of what you say I cannot agree with the justification of the wages. Footballers are overpaid and as a result of the astronomical wages the ticket prices and merchandise have in turn rocked to stupid amounts to cover this :x

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree Mumbo, but this is a bigger evil, I was just saying he was worth as much as the contemporaries around him if you get my drift

mumbo

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
I agree Mumbo, but this is a bigger evil, I was just saying he was worth as much as the contemporaries around him if you get my drift

I hear you and in that respect I would agree :wink:

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
An above average player as far as I am concerned, played the PR self promotion game to the extreme with his Mrs but moans that people mention his work off field before his acheivements on it....

2stripes

Jedi Master
Always frustrates me when people say he is overrated. Need to look past the image rights and brand, that's something else entirely. What you are left with was a great midfielder, had the distribution of a Hoddle but a far superior work rate, led by example and always found space and did the simple things. His contribution to England was always on par with his club form too which is not something you could say for certain others (Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney being obvious. Examples.)

As a bloke he comes across far more humble than many footballers receiving an ounce of the adoration he did. Top bloke, top footballer all the rest, blame it on posh spice :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
monkey_roo said:
OK
Lets look at this another way, what makes a great player?

Is it purely skill? Look at that Mario chap who was at City for a bit, lots of skill there but is he a great player? What about Ronaldo at Utd? great skill but how often was there a trick to far, how many 1-0 or 2-0 games could have been 3 or 4 if he hadn't been such a showboater? Or crossover to my sport, Rugby, You have the likes of Henson, Cipriani, Spencer etc. all very, very skilled and talented but will they go down as greats? How many of these guys bleed for the team when the chips are down and how many just go missing? Metaphorically speaking.

If you look at it from the other side are great players the ones that work hardest, exploit every last ounce of what skill they have, gel with the teams they play in, fight for every ball, tirelessly support their team mate (on and off the field) but also ones that are capable of doing something special but know when to try and when not to.

For me Becks exhibited every quality a great player (in any sport) should have and while not a once in a generation player (Messi, Cantona etc.) his is a great player of his generation.

As a sporty type I would rather have a team of Beckham's than and team of Ronaldo's as an example - although the group hair gel bill would be much the same :)

Good question, what does mark a player out as 'great'? I'd say ronaldo is great as a player, but as a person he's a shallow, selfish, self aggrandising wanker who needs a dam good slap. Great player, despicable human being (talented as he may be).

As for Beckham doing something special, you mean like when he kicked Diego simeone? Leading example there!

I do agree i'd rather have becks than ball bag (ronaldo) but i still think he's an overrated showpony.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Hey mate

I like to think I'm good at my job, and try to be right by people as well, but I'm not perfect, no one is

There are politicians, businessmen, etc that might be good at what they do, but be real tossers in other areas of their lives

We are not perfect, that's what makes us human

In footballing terms Ronaldo/Beckham

If in their respective eras...you were told either was coming to play for your team, I am sure the general response would be a positive one

Again I'm swayed, because as a red, I've watched them add to my team, I seen some sublime football from them, both individually and within the team, but I would say the same about what Gerrard has brought to the scousers over the years....because you have to throw off the staunch tribal aspect of football and give credit where it's due

These guys provide some respite for us fans from all the **** and scrimping and bollocks in the world, and for 90 mins(90+ I mean :lol: ) they allow us to get involved in the passion, heartache, excitement, disappointment laughter and tears that the game brings us

So I say again...thanks Becks...and all the best

Richard_H

Grand Master
Guys on Skysports say you'd struggle to name 20 players who've played in the PL better than Beckham.

Here goes without too much thought (I i'm not including 1 season wonders and players who are coming through like Bale)

Schmeichel
Giggs
Keane
Vieira
Henry
Bergkamp
Shearer
Lampard
Gerrard
Adams
Drogba
Ashley Cole
Cantona
Zola
Ronaldo
Scholes
Giggs
Fowler
Terry
Wright
Ferdinand

Which of them is wrong?

.Q.

Jedi Master
One trick pony perhaps, but what a trick it was. Beckhams ability to drop a ball from the other end of the pitch on a plate was astonishing. He has a career average of either a goal or an assist in every other game, I assume not counting the numerous other chances that lead to carving opposing teams apart.

For my tuppence-worth, Beckham was a class act. Although his Mrs is a nutter! :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom