Any comic collectors?

DanProsser

Padawan
Are there any comic collectors out there? Thats my primary collection. In particular, I collect Amazing Spider-Man and have a pretty good collection.
What do you guys collect in comic form?

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hi Dan,

Not really a big comic collector, more into graphic novels by crime based writers like Ed Brubaker, David Lapham or the recent Parker series (not forgetting 100 bullets). My comic collection consists of Beanos, Scream and 2000AD from my youth and Chris Ware, Charles Burns, Adrian Tomine and Daniel Clowes in more recent years.

I do really appreciate the old Marvel and DC comics though and have read a lot of Daredevil and Batman over the years. Growing up my favourite character was Spiderman and I just love those early covers. A friend of mine is very much into that area of collecting with a large collection of early Spiderman, X-men and Fantastic Four ect. Here's a pic I took a while back (doesn't really show his collection but you get the idea).

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_a.jpg
    IMG_a.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 106

x-pack

Grand Master
Hi chaps. I'm not a collector as such but comics do keep creeping in.

MAD, Beano, Look-in, Scream were all things I had as a kid and still pick up from time to time. It's all about the art work and nostalgia, especially in the case of Scream. This year I collected the full original run. You put them all together and the back cover makes a cool picture :)

Dredd is just amazing. Currently I'm reading origins which is riveting. If anyone can recommend a few good dredd series to read I would appreciate it.

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
I've got a huge box of Marvels & DC's and a range of Hulks from the early-late 80s.
Bit of everything in there used to really into my comics when I lived near Colchester there's a great shop there called ACE.
Alan grant always used to do signings there as he lived near by. Have a load of 80's X-Men signed by Chris Claremont when he dropped by.

DanProsser

Padawan
Wow, X-men signed by Claremont might be worth a bit. There are some issue's from his run that are really valuable key stories.

Its all about the Ditko Spider-Man stuff for me though. I'm at about 75% of a full run of Amazing Spider-Man. Its reached that point that every collector gets to however where all I really need is the really expensive and hard to find stuff

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
growing up i collected mostly amazing spiderman, uncanny x-men, incredible hulk and batman comics, and then one day i stumbled upon hulk #340 where he fights wolverine, i was blown away by todd mcfarlanes artwork! and from then on i would seek any of his stuff, i loved the whole venom saga he created right up until spawn.

i sold all my comics a few years back on ebay and i made a lot more than i paid for them, i seem to remember getting quite a bit for amazing spiderman comics #18, 30, 50, 121, 122, 300.

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
I have the majority of Macfarlanes run on The Hulk. He got really sloppy towards the end though

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
PIGCITY said:
I have the majority of Macfarlanes run on The Hulk. He got really sloppy towards the end though

yeah he did a bit, i think he had spiderman on his mind more, i quite liked the dale known stuff that was afterwards around the 377-400 mark.

but mcfarlanes amazing spiderman 298-325 was brilliant stuff!

his spiderman 1-16 was pretty good, spawn started off really well but got a bit dark for me.

its interesting to look back at his artwork for detective comics to see how much he progressed, ialso was into jim lee's x-men a bit.

DanProsser

Padawan
Macfarlane defined Spider-Man for the next 15 years and I like his run, but his other stuff and his image stuff are just not to my taste. Style over substance.
Plus I sort of hold him and a few other artists responsible for the whole terrible 90's comic world; which makes me not like him too much

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Just dug my old comic collection out from storage last week, used to collect back in the late 80's early 90's mostly from an old book shop near by for vintage stuff then on to the local comic book store for the newer stuff.

Favourite artist for me is Alan Davis, loved Excalibur, also a big fan of John Romita Jr, Frank Miller.

Any ideas on this one Dan?

Found it whilst looking through the boxes but can't find a heck of a lot of info on it. Newton Comics obviously had some sort of licence to print for marvel here in Oz which I find quite odd that Marvel allowed their comics be printed under another banner.

Printed in 1975.

20140802_223120_zps22c9baa2.jpg

20140802_223144_zpsa121e49f.jpg

Ryan.

DanProsser

Padawan
Unfortunatly I don't think that book is worth more than a few pound. Looks like its been well loved and there are more re-prints of Spider-Man than you can shake a stick at. Still a classic book though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom