Ahsoka

BabyAckbar

Padawan
I can understand Disney wanting SW to widen its appeal to more of the so-called 'normies'.
Therefore, it seems strange that they would focus their recent prime D+ shows on characters that the vast majority of the 'normies' wouldn't know or care about (Andor, Ahsoka etc.).
Seems a bit of an odd strategy.

A strategy that doesn't seem to be paying off. According to Neilson, Ahsoka has already dropped out of the Top 10 after only its second week.
Unfortunately, a lot of the audience seems to be hitting that red remote button.

I agree with monkey_roo that SW needs to slowdown and go for the 'quality over quantity' approach.
If that means going back to the two year 'event movie' schedule, then so be it.
Rather that, than seeing SW slowing fade away on a failing streaming service.

The 'enjoyable but forgettable' approach doesn't seem to be cutting it, I'm afraid.
AHSOKA does indeed require a lot of hours watching other star wars projects but ANDOR works for both fans and the normals. You don't have to have seen even the OT to follow it and enjoy it.

Put the stormtroopers in different costumes and you wouldn't even know it was Star Wars. Kind of the same for ROGUE ONE.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
My fear is this is Filoni starting to explain "Somehow, Palpatine returned."

But if does that he needs to kill all these characters off. Which I can't see him doing.
I really hope he doesn't go anywhere near Sequel stuff. He'd never be able to wash it off.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
I saw about a month ago an article that mentioned Jude Law's character in SKELETON CREW is a "mysterious Jedi".

Has that bee said in any official news from Lucasfilm? Or is it just rubbish journalism?

I really hope it it isn't true. I love when Jedi are around but they really shouldn't be in everything during this time period. Another survivor is just too much. It doesn't need Jedi or the Force to be Star Wars. It makes the galaxy seem small

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
As to Star Wars - the Force went "female" a very long time, under George Lucas' guidance long before MeToo or whatever conspiracy itbis that worries you. Ahsoka was Star Wars for years and her character kept the franchise alive after the Prequels until two men tried to kill it. Two straight white men.
What a ridiculous thing to say. What on earth has anyone's race or sexuality got to do with the state of Star Wars today or Jeremy's opinions on a feminist agenda.
I can understand if you don't agree with someone's point of view but dragging issues like that into your argument to try and bait a response is so lame.

Hod10

Padawan
I thought it was alright, a reasonable watch. I haven't watched Rebels or The Clone Wars. It's still not as good as The Mandalorian. Sabine shouldn't be alive after being stabbed by a lightsaber but I'v gone with the flow since then, she must take a makeup bag with her everywhere she goes, she's always perfectly dolled up in eyeshadow and lipstick. I do like Huyang, he's a cool droid. I find Ezra a bit annoying. Not sure what to make of Thrawn.

Last edited:

Mosh

Padawan
Hopefully, then we can go back to proper SW on the big screen, where it belongs.
I am not sure it is a matter of the medium, but of the writing. Andor was pretty neat, as most of us tend to agree.

The Ahsoka series was a mix of interesting and confusing or badly-developed characters. I liked Rosario Dawson in Daredevil, but she was here given a boring character with just two facial expressions. She was powerful but lacking in controlling her subordinate. Sabine turned out to be a despicable brat with unexplicable surges of Force-controlling which almost felt as a deus ex machina. The snail-like characters just made me feel a Jar-Jar moment (Yuck!). Ezra was just a handsome hippie living inside his own world and nothing more. I did not end up rooting for the heroes, but for the villains, and the interesting adversaries (the witches, the zombies) were easily done with by some trite combats. A pity that Disney executives don't seem to be eager to change the path they are on to (maybe they see something we don't?).

Last edited:

supergoose

Jedi Knight
Supporter
For me, ultimately, I just didn't feel enough for the characters by the end of the series. It entertained me once a week and I'd like to see another series wrap the story up, but to paraphrase Yoda...... OK Ahsoka was, nothing more, nothing less......

sith-smith

Grand Master
It was enjoyable. Story wasn't what I would have liked, but then again, it's never really going to be. Definitely looking forward to a second season.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Looks like it's doing OK in the ratings. After ep 4, no. 2 behind Netflix's One Piece (views per episode). Really hard to measure Nielson rattings accurately, but taking into account episode length, similar numbers to BoBF, quite a bit higher than Andor, but trailing Mando and Kenobi by a fair bit. For a show that's not massively accessible to casual viewers, pretty good numbers.

Last edited:

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I don't think there will be a series 2, everything building towards the movie event and I all likelihood (and I think correctly) once the film is done then Disney will park this time period and focus on all new stories from other era's. I could be wrong, but assuming we see the birth of the first order in the film, there is very little left to say once they have stitched the of RoTJ to the start of Force Awakens - better to go for a clean slate, new characters etc.

Also Nielson ratings summed up (with a small editorial perspective.........): https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2023-10-10-the-nielsen-streaming-charts-for-ahsoka-week-3/

BabyAckbar

Padawan
What a ridiculous thing to say. What on earth has anyone's race or sexuality got to do with the state of Star Wars today or Jeremy's opinions on a feminist agenda.
I can understand if you don't agree with someone's point of view but dragging issues like that into your argument to try and bait a response is so lame.
What in the world are you babbling about?

The guy is ranting about women ruining the franchise but that is okay to say but when I point out that it was two white guys that ruined the Sequels it is a terrible thing to say?

You clearly don't have a balanced view either.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
I thought it was alright, a reasonable watch. I haven't watched Rebels or The Clone Wars. It's still not as good as The Mandalorian. Sabine shouldn't be alive after being stabbed by a lightsaber but I'v gone with the flow since then, she must take a makeup bag with her everywhere she goes, she's always perfectly dolled up in eyeshadow and lipstick. I do like Huyang, he's a cool droid. I find Ezra a bit annoying. Not sure what to make of Thrawn.
How were Luke and Han able to wear their clothes under the stormtrooper armour? How did Luke dry his hair after nearly drowning the compacted? And how is Leia's dress still clean?

;)

Huyang is indeed cool but he highlights a problem with not using Luke more in this era - why is one of the greatest resources of Jedi history and knowledge with a treasure trove of lightsaber gadgets the sidekick of someone who is not a Jedi instead of joining Luke who is a Jedi and the one trying to rebuild it all.

It kind of feels like another failure put on Luke as he can't rebuild the order becasue of the Sequels. I know it isn't Filoni's intent, and Luke should not recreate the same order bogged down in rules but Huyang would still be invaluable.

They really need to recast Luke and Leia for live action or a new ongoing animated series that starts the day after the Battle of Endor - would be cool if the the first few episodes were an adaptation of the Truce at Bakura.

The franchise shouldn't rely on Luke and the gang, but not being able to use Luke is a problem.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
It was enjoyable. Story wasn't what I would have liked, but then again, it's never really going to be. Definitely looking forward to a second season.
What story would you have liked? Your post made me think what I would have come up with but post-RotJ Force/Jedi stuff without Luke makes me not able to assemble any thoughts.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
I am not sure it is a matter of the medium, but of the writing. Andor was pretty neat, as most of us tend to agree.

The Ahsoka series was a mix of interesting and confusing or badly-developed characters. I liked Rosario Dawson in Daredevil, but she was here given a boring character with just two facial expressions. She was powerful but lacking in controlling her subordinate. Sabine turned out to be a despicable brat with unexplicable surges of Force-controlling which almost felt as a deus ex machina. The snail-like characters just made me feel a Jar-Jar moment (Yuck!). Ezra was just a handsome hippie living inside his own world and nothing more. I did not end up rooting for the heroes, but for the villains, and the interesting adversaries (the witches, the zombies) were easily done with by some trite combats. A pity that Disney executives don't seem to be eager to change the path they are on to (maybe they see something we don't?).
The Disney executives can't see anything - remember it was them that okayed the Sequels.

I don't know how much control they'd have on something like this series. Like with Grogu - people say Disney forced Favereau to bring him back from Luke but more than likely it was always the intent.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
I don't think there will be a series 2, everything building towards the movie event and I all likelihood (and I think correctly) once the film is done then Disney will park this time period and focus on all new stories from other era's. I could be wrong, but assuming we see the birth of the first order in the film, there is very little left to say once they have stitched the of RoTJ to the start of Force Awakens - better to go for a clean slate, new characters etc.

Also Nielson ratings summed up (with a small editorial perspective.........): https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2023-10-10-the-nielsen-streaming-charts-for-ahsoka-week-3/
I don't see how a movie is going to work if it has all this to wrap up AND include stuff like Mando, Book and Skeleton Crew.

No way they can do all that and properly show Thrawn as the threat he is.

A crossover series would be packed to to the rafters, let alone a two hour movie.

Disney simply don't want to spend the money and I think Filoni will just do the best he can.

sith-smith

Grand Master
What story would you have liked? Your post made me think what I would have come up with but post-RotJ Force/Jedi stuff without Luke makes me not able to assemble any thoughts.
In all honesty, I think what I wanted was Heir to the Empire, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

BabyAckbar

Padawan
In all honesty, I think what I wanted was Heir to the Empire, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.
I know what you mean but that is kind of what is happening - all this is the build up to it. For all we know, Filoni could be directly adapting the books but at the very least we getting a version of it, just with others in the OT gang, Jade, etc.

I actually thought was a chance that Mara Jade was going to be in it. I was fairly certain that Marrok was going to turn out to be a nobody but if it was a known character under the mask I thought it would be her - I didn't see anything in the movement that signaled Marrok was male or female.

Latest posts

Top Bottom