2022 World Cup Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I thought, from the second half, England were unlucky not to get ET at least. Probably the better side. I missed the 1st half so I could be wrong. Still, it means FA I guess. But better to go out having out played the other side than in the usual limp half assed way, or losing a shoot out.

Got say I'm cheering for anyone but the Argies after their dispicable performance against the Dutch. The amount of diving and play acting was ridiculous. Then the celebrations in the faces of the Dutch were utterly classless. Much as I would like to Messi win it, I would rather see Argentina get robbed blind and have 7 players sent off. A truly horrible team.
Ohh and that was also one of the worst refereeing performances I have seen since Anders Fisk robbed Chelsea all those years ago. Argie falls over = free kick. Argie rolls about screaming = booking for the nearest Dutch boy. Argie boots the ball into the Dutch bench = 'ahhh sure we're all men, play on.' Messi comes out with the most blatant handball you will ever see = 'boys, it's Lionel Messi, I can't book him.'

England's ref was poor, they didn't get the rub of the green on some pretty big calls, but the ref in the Argentina Holland game should have been nowhere near a WC.

lejackal

Grand Master
200.gif

Forget Messi, this is the story of the World Cup, from Arsenals bench to WC winner in 2 years. Not a bad rags to riches story

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That was a hell of a final, easily the best one I've seen. In fact contraversies and a few half-filled stadiums aside, this World Cup had a LOT of decent games and upsets, one of the best tournaments I can remember.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Fair ****s to Martinez he is superb at penalties. Hugo Lloris on the other hand is ****ing woeful. The Argies even tried to make it easy for him by hitting half of them at or near him, yet he still got near none of them.

Ohh and Martinez throwing the ball away before Touchemeni (spelling) walked up to take his pen is pretty piss poor for me. Pure gamesmanship. In the Liverpool Chelsea shoot outs I did notice Alison went and got the ball every time and handed it to the Pool player. Little things like that make a difference. Still, at least the ref booked martinez for doing it............oh, wait he did absolutely nothing (he booked him the second time he did it). If that was me I would have been tempted to send him off. A booking is **** all compared to the advantage he could derive from yer man missing. Like a deliberate foul if you are last man, sod the yellow, red card and **** off.
Who wouldn't want to see an outfield player having to go in to nets for a shootout cos the keeper had been sent off?

Has Ronaldo stopped crying yet?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Speaking of penalties, I don't remember ever seeing as many missed or saved as in this tournament before. Did they make the goals smaller or something? Normally penalty shoot outs end 5-4 or go to sudden death, didn't United and Villareal score over 20 consecutive penalties in a final not too long ago?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Speaking of penalties, I don't remember ever seeing as many missed or saved as in this tournament before. Did they make the goals smaller or something? Normally penalty shoot outs end 5-4 or go to sudden death, didn't United and Villareal score over 20 consecutive penalties in a final not too long ago?
I can't remember where…but I read an article about this after a few penalty shoot outs and the ball was blamed as it was said that it moved a lot once kicked.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Well that's that, great final. I still say Maradona was better. Role on Burnley at Old Trafford tomorrow night.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom