Photographic account of my growing collection circa 1979

TC-14

Sith Lord
I consider myself a polite sort of chap, so I was somewhat apprehensive at submitting my first topic on this site alerting collectors to a couple of items I'm selling on ebay, and consequently becoming a 'one post wonder'. I am pleased to report that this forum has drawn me back daily since joining, enjoying the banter on all manner of topics, and taking a startled look at a whole world of Star Wars collecting that I had suspected existed, but never knew to what extent until now. A real eye-opener for a lapsed collector of some 30-odd years!

Whilst having a rummage around the spare room, supposedly 'clearing out' but getting distracted and re-boxing stuff just to pack away again, I came across a photo album that brought the memories flooding back. So I thought I'd share these photos with anybody that may be interested.

Apologies for the poor quality and the distinct lack of sharp focus: the 'shots' were taken on my Kodak Brownie (I'm not kidding, I remember that little black box very well). The year? I'm hazarding a guess at 1979, possibly the spring of 1980 (judging by the daffodils in the back garden), just before the release of The Empire Strikes Back. If anybody could clarify the year from the figures I had up to that point, then I would love to hear from you.

I'm sorry I don't have anything from a later date and in sharper focus, my entire collection was passed on to my nephews when I got 'too old for toys', around about 1983/84 when I was 13/14 years old... something I secretly came to regret but would never let on to my siblings!

And yes, I am well aware that my haircut at the time was based on Darth Vader's helmet. I just thought I would get that comment in first, thank you :wink:

Here's the first three attachments, the other three to follow.

Best,
Martin

TC-14

Sith Lord
Here's the other three photographs:

Attachments

• Martin's Star Wars Collection 1 .jpg
    Martin's Star Wars Collection 1 .jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 383
  • Martin's Star Wars Collection 5 .jpg
    Martin's Star Wars Collection 5 .jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Martin's Star Wars Collection 6 .jpg
    Martin's Star Wars Collection 6 .jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 387

TC-14

Sith Lord
Cheers! But alas, this collection went to my nephews a few years later after these photographs were taken, around '83/'84... they had a great time with them, but they obviously didn't hold them in the same revered status as I did, naturally. I did ask my sister if they were still in her attic about 15 years ago. Her reply?

"Oh no, not now! They were given to the local charity shop years ago. Why?"

"No reason... I just wondered..."

Some collector based in the Holmfirth area of Yorkshire must have had a field day when that lot came in!

Did your original collection suffer a similar fate?

Richard_H

Grand Master
I never knew where mine went as a kid until about 10 years ago I found out they wanted to family friends' kids. I asked for them back after the 15 or so years but they didnt have them anymore :lol:

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Thanks for sharing your childhood pictures Martin, I wish I had some from back then with my Star Wars toys. These type of pics are priceless.

I love the pic of the figures all sitting down in a line, like they are sunbathing :lol:

TC-14

Sith Lord
I'm pleased you like them :D but your comment regarding 'sunbathing' has alerted me to the complete and utterly irresponsible nature of youth. Clearly, UV rays (especially ones experienced in England in the '70s, sadly no more) would have had the most detrimental of effects on that poor, unsuspecting plastic :cry: :lol:

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Ahh wow, I had that lightsaber - shaped like bananas.

Anyone remember the first lightsaber that was a torch with perspex and an inflatable shaft that you blew up like a beachball lol.

Nick

TC-14

Sith Lord
Yup, they were never straight, those first lightsaber efforts. And they creased like anything (little white marks all over the thing) after engaging in combat. Or by accidentally hitting light fittings about the house :lol:

theslider

Sith Lord
Brilliant pictures Martin, thanks for posting them.

Interesting to see that you Die-Cast Landspeeder is missing its windscreen - did any of them survive our childhoods? I know mine didn't!

TC-14

Sith Lord
Much obliged, Slider- and you've got better eyes than me... I didn't notice the windscreen was missing from the landspeeder... battle scarred, no doubt!

I have to admit, as much as I love my nephews, I did find it hard handing over everything to them back in the '80s (apart from a boxed radio controlled Palitoy R2-D2, my mum kind of understood me wanting to keep something from my childhood!)... there was much guilt tripping laid on by my mother at that time ("You're a teenager now, much too old to be bothered about these toys"). Ah, well :)

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Great pics TC, thanks for sharing, they always bring back good memories...

Looks like you was a lucky lad too :wink:

I love these pics, figures lined up or set up in a scene, kids these days don't know how good they have got it with digital cameras etc. I had to beg to be allowed to use up a photo or two from the 24 on a roll of film... The results were always shite :lol:

TC-14

Sith Lord
A lucky lad indeed :D but crikey, did it keep me occupied- probably a sound investment from my parent's point of view! And I do recall there only being 8 shots on the roll of film that fitted that particular camera, I remember setting up the scenes with great care and being almost sick with anticipation that they came out alright :eek: I'd like to think that my composition skills have come on a bit in those intervening 33 years, though :lol:

mumbo

Sith Lord
Great pics TC 8) its those sort of pictures that evoke such fond memories and you had some fantastic sets and it's good to see you've been reeled in again :)

One word of advice, keep your picture size down to about 800 :wink:

chazb73

Sith Lord
Hi Martin - these pics are brill!

I dont have any pics from my childhood with SW in them - there was a request on here I think asking for childhood SW pics.

Superb :D

TC-14

Sith Lord
Much obliged, to all of you :D

Well, I'm going to admit it: 33 years after buying my last Star Wars figure, I'm going to start collecting again. I can safely say that my desire for all things concerning vintage SW has been rekindled by this forum and the smashing people that inhabit it over the past few days.

I'm going to have a good think and formulate what my focus will be, then I will be hounding you all for advice (in the most pleasant and politest of ways, naturally)... you have been forewarned! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom