Photographic account of my growing collection circa 1979

rob71

Sith Lord
Martin, thanks for the link via pm... I wouldn't have seen this otherwise :lol:

What a great set of childhood pics that is... you had quite a collection!

I think I've got some photos from my SW childhood, but could be wishful thinking. I'll raid what photo albums I have and see what I can find, if there's anything of interest I'll post it for you guys to see.

It's so great that you have your original toys again. I'm really happy for you mate. The display looks fine the way it is (unless you are planning on buying heaps more that is!) :D

TC-14

Sith Lord
No worries, pal :lol: glad you like. I'll be adding more, that's for certain... first goal is to acquire mint loose SW and ESB figures to display alongside my original ones (I stopped collecting in 1982), as I want to leave the figures from my childhood as they are. It'll be a long, steady journey... but one I'm going to enjoy!

As for displaying them, space is limited in my humble abode, but I have got a cupboard in my little studio that I'm going to use for my collection. Looks remarkably like the toy cupboard I had as a kid, so I guess my regression is complete :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the subject of old photos with your SW stuff: Spoons made me aware of http://www.igrewupstarwars.com, Tom's behind the website and he's got a gallery with a whole host of said photos. FIngers crossed you've got some, let us know if you have- they're always great to look back on.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Just had another look through your pics buddy, can't get enough of this

Like a form of munchhausens by proxy...but in a good way :lol: :lol:

To get a piece of your childhood back, is just awesome 8)

Great in these torrid times where there is so much crap around, to get a lift from something like this, thanks again for sharing this :D awesome stuff :D :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
TC-14 said:
A quick snap, a couple more will follow tomorrow :lol:

21stJune2013Reunion_zps69128eed.jpg

A very strange, but obviously amazing feeling, to be reunited with these figures once again after some 30-odd years. I would go as far as to say as it's as good as stepping into a time machine... the memories come flooding back!

I have to admit, I am surprised to see '1977' on the majority of the figure's legs... I always assumed that dating started from 1978 onwards. Every day is a school day, so it seems!

Martin

So pleased for you that you've been reunited with your childhood collection, I'd love to see mine again but I just don't think it will ever happen sadly :cry:

One thing I'm really interested in are the Coo's on the back of the legs that came over here on the Palitoy cardbacks. I'm guessing that all your figures came off of Palitoy 12/20 backs (the first 20 released and not the ESB ones), but it would be good to know if they didn't.

If you get the chance could you take a close up photo of the Coo's on the backs of their legs of the first 20 released (the ones you have) like you have for the Stormtrooper? I feel it would be useful information to have and I have a childhood collection of the first 12 with their cardbacks that I'll put up on here when I can get to them (sadly in storage at the moment). It's really interesting that you say the R2 has no Coo, maybe this wasn't from a 12 back card or perhaps something else? Any other info on them would be great.

Great to see!

Ian

TC-14

Sith Lord
Thank you for your kind words, Ian :D

I certainly will take close-ups of the COOs on the first 20 that I have in my possession, I've been meaning to do it since I got them back, so now I've got added impetus to get them catalogued! The Empire Strikes Back has just started on ITV2, so I'll get cracking when it's over and post a link to the results on this thread.

And yes, the first 20 were bought on the original 12/20 backs, but I know for a fact that throughout my childhood collecting phase (1978-1982), I bought three, maybe four R2s- when the decal got grubby and started rubbing off I would buy another one. I wish I still had the original one... but I think that got mutated back in the day... adding a spot of my own 'battle damage' special effects to the poor bugger.

TC-14

Sith Lord
A belated thanks to Stevie and Mike, thanks also for the kind words- much appreciated :D

Here you go, Ian: click the photo and it will take you to my original 18 figures from the first 20 (unfortunately Snaggletooth and Power Droid were missing upon my being reunited). The R2 D2 is the Sensorscope rather than the solid dome of my previous purchases- I'm guessing from 1982 and a 45 Back, hence the no COO, I should imagine. Hope you find the photos useful.

I'm fascinated to hear that you have a childhood collection of the first 12 with the cardbacks- I'll look forward to seeing those when you manage to get them out of storage :D

Martin

LukeFarmBoy_zpsad782e5a.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi Martin, that is some great pictures from the 70s, wow. Wish I had pictures from my childhood with star wars toy.

Also great to see you found your childhood collection again :wink:

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thanks for posting up the pictures and sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. It's great to have these as a reference and I'll cross check them with my collection when I can get to them. It also makes sense that you bought more than one R2 as I'm pretty sure the first release of it has a Coo stamp, maybe yours is a Jedi one?

Big thanks again for taking the time out to photo them all, I feel that bit closer to reliving my childhood through seeing them :D

Ian

TC-14

Sith Lord
rob71 said:
Sorry to hear about the missing Snag and PD :(

No worries, Rob- I'm on with filling in the blanks :D

Pomse2001 said:
Hi Martin, that is some great pictures from the 70s, wow. Wish I had pictures from my childhood with star wars toy.

Also great to see you found your childhood collection again :wink:

Hello Lars, and thank you! I'm glad I made a photographic account in those early years... clearly I was just as obsessed back then :lol:

Palifan said:
Thanks for posting up the pictures and sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. It's great to have these as a reference and I'll cross check them with my collection when I can get to them. It also makes sense that you bought more than one R2 as I'm pretty sure the first release of it has a Coo stamp, maybe yours is a Jedi one?

Big thanks again for taking the time out to photo them all, I feel that bit closer to reliving my childhood through seeing them :D

Ian

No worries, Ian- good to hear they'll be of use as a reference guide :D With regards to my R2, the Sensorscope would definitely have been an ESB cardback purchase as I stopped collecting figures in 1982, before Jedi was released in '83... I was 13 when the last film came out, and I told myself I was 'too old for toys, now'... despite secretly wanting to purchase some of the figures :roll: my pocket money went on 7" singles instead :)

TC-14

Sith Lord
None of the playsets survived, unfortunately- only the plastic stuff made it into the 21st century :lol: still, my nephews got as much enjoyment out of this collection as I did originally :D

lee gray

Sith Lord
Nice collection. Glad it wasnt wet out when the playsets were on the grass. Glad you are reunited from toys of your childhood

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TC-14 said:
None of the playsets survived, unfortunately- only the plastic stuff made it into the 21st century :lol: still, my nephews got as much enjoyment out of this collection as I did originally :D

Sorry that none of the playsets survived. My little brother did also get my childhood collection and destroyed a few things. But in 2001 I bought it back from him :lol: :lol:

TC-14

Sith Lord
Stevie, apologies for the delay- Penguin paperbacks are another obsession of mine... glad you like :D There's something about that distinctive orange and white cover with the super-smart font that draws you in. Very much like the Palitoy logo. I'm easily led... :lol:

penguin.jpg

Here's a cracking book if you're interested in the evolution of Penguin and it's design:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Des...rds=penguin+by+design+a+cover+story+1935-2005

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom