Photographic account of my growing collection circa 1979

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Really chuffed for you mate - can't believe how excited I am for you!
We've all got ideas about finding a stash of SW vintage toys at a car boot sale, charity shop or a box of sealed figures found in a cupboard in an old toy shop but none of those are half as good as being reunited with your original childhood toys - happy happy memories :D

spoons

Grand Master
They have to be some of the best childhood pics out there Martin, absolutely fantastic.

Good luck with the toy reunion :)

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
I had hair just like you Martin. :lol:

I have been pestering my parents for pictures of me and my SW-stuff but to no avail. They even claim I never played with them. Bah! :evil:

TC-14

Sith Lord
Dark Sith Lord said:
Thats fantastic news mate! Congrats 8)

Cheers mate :D

theslider said:
And definitely do recreate the photo - it'll be your equivalent of the Beatles at Manchester Square (EMI)! You could always get some good photoshop chap to make the photo have the same effect as the original ones!

Great idea about Photoshopping the re-created photograph, I'll give it the Kodak Brownie fuzziness treatment :wink:

Jedi_june said:
TC those pictures are so cool, wish I had back in the day pics with my SW toys. Great memories to treasure.

Thanks matey, I remember my brother-in-law taking some close up B&W photos of my figures on the Death Star playset, too... I need to find those again :?

.Q. said:
Magic pics there Martin, the gardens of the land must be littered with bits of vintage SW. Great die-casts, my landspeeder is also missing its windscreen!

That got me thinking, Q... maybe in a couple of hundred years time there'll be an equivalent of Time Team with the obligatory Phil Harding type proclaiming "Oooh arrrr! This 'ere Landspeeder windscreen we've just uncovered definitely dates this site to 1979, or thereabouts."

db94 said:
Really chuffed for you mate - can't believe how excited I am for you! :D

Cheers db, I'm just a little bit queasy with the anticipation... thinking about running a competition on what day the re-union will take place :lol:

spoons said:
They have to be some of the best childhood pics out there Martin, absolutely fantastic :)

Very kind of you, Andy- they took some searching for... but glad I found them in the end . I've winged a couple over to igrewupstarwars like you suggested :D

Capetown said:
I had hair just like you Martin. :lol:

I have been pestering my parents for pictures of me and my SW-stuff but to no avail. They even claim I never played with them. Bah! :evil:

Thanks Emiel, glad I wasn't the only one with the Vader cut :lol: You need to scour those family albums... I'll bet there's some photos in there with your original SW gear that's been long forgotten about. Fingers crossed for you, pal :D

TC-14

Sith Lord
Woo-hoo :lol:

I've just received news from my sister to say that my brother-in-law has managed to locate and retrieve my original Star Wars collection from their attic. Tomorrow evening will be the re-union. I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight!

mumbo

Sith Lord
The news WE'VE all been waiting for Martin :wink: really looking forward to seeing it and definitely no chance you'll be sleeping tonight :lol: go and stick the original trilogy on and do an all nighter :wink:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Happy Day :D been waiting for that Martin, lucky man

I'm a great believer in good coming to good, so congrats buddy enjoy the reunion :D

One of my favourite quotes on fortune

"It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting shells than to be born a millionaire"
Robert Louis Stevenson

I've got more shells than you can shake a stick at :lol:

TC-14

Sith Lord
Cheers, lads... although I'm now wishing I wasn't told the news tonight: I'm working the early shift tomorrow... the alarm's going to go off at 4:45am... if I get a couple of hours kip, I'll be thankful :wink:

It's like Christmas Eve 1978 all over again.

Pics to follow :D

.Q.

Jedi Master
I am getting a vicarious kick out of this, quite exciting! Really looking forward to seeing your haul. :)

TC-14

Sith Lord
A quick snap, a couple more will follow tomorrow :lol:

21stJune2013Reunion_zps69128eed.jpg

A very strange, but obviously amazing feeling, to be reunited with these figures once again after some 30-odd years. I would go as far as to say as it's as good as stepping into a time machine... the memories come flooding back!

I have to admit, I am surprised to see '1977' on the majority of the figure's legs... I always assumed that dating started from 1978 onwards. Every day is a school day, so it seems!

Martin

mumbo

Sith Lord
You big tease :lol:

What a feeling, im made up for you :) really wish jr and I could be reunited with our childhood figs :( I like to think that somebody somewhere is still enjoying their beauty and who knows maybe someone on here has had them pass through their hands :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Awesome...enjoy that feeling :D

Can't wait to see more pics

Truly a day to remember sir, old friends reunited :D
Great stuff

Congratulations :D

TC-14

Sith Lord
mumbo said:
What a feeling, im made up for you :) really wish jr and I could be reunited with our childhood figs :( I like to think that somebody somewhere is still enjoying their beauty and who knows maybe someone on here has had them pass through their hands :)

That's a thought, Mumbo... and I'll bet somebody on this forum has become a custodian of one of yours and Jr's original figures. Nice to know that they're being cherished as much now, as they were back then :wink:

Michael Sith said:
Truly a day to remember sir, old friends reunited :D
Great stuff

Congratulations :D

Thanks, Mike- it feels great to have them 'back in the fold' :lol:

Edit: double quoting, I'm not thinking straight!

TC-14

Sith Lord
Thanks, Tundra :D

Here's a few more snaps for your perusal- there'll be plenty more over on Photobucket if you're interested, just click the photo.

It's a rag-tag motley crew, a collection that only the original collector could love :wink: but love 'em, I most certainly do. I'm missing a few favourites, namely Power Droid, IG-88 and Boba Fett, amongst others... but who knows, they may turn up in another box from the depths of that attic.

I've photographed them as I've received them, before embarking on a careful clean-up. Decades of grubbiness did make me smile, though- they've all been on a real journey :D

Thanks for looking!

1to6_zpsa19f5e64.jpg

Cape-less, blaster-less and saber-less! All 1977 as date of manufacture, COO Hong Kong, except R2-D2: no COO

7to12_zpsf96ea81e.jpg

Again, all 1977 and COO Hong Kong except Obi Wan: no COO

13to18_zpsbf523d07.jpg

All 1978, COO: Hong Kong

19to23_zps524551db.jpg

All 1980, COO: Hong Kong

Here's one of my favourite toys... I had hours of fun with this, and persistently drove my parents insane with the constant bleeping:

RemoteControlledR2-D2_zpsa5e05924.jpg

Radio controlled R2-D2, 1978

GreenChewie_zpse913229d.jpg

Always got to be different... although I've discovered it's the norm to have green limbs on a Chewie, mine appears to have brown limbs and a green tinted body!

And finally! Here's one especially for Mumbo and JuniorChubb- you're more than welcome to share my childhood figures, anytime :wink:

ForMumboandJr_zpsd55ac601.jpg

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Absolutely awesome

I'd be tempted not to clean them either

LFB is really nice, absolutely awesome that these are your childhood figures, fantastic thanks for sharing
That remote R2 is awesome as well :D

mumbo

Sith Lord
TC-14 said:
Mumbo- don't get on at me for the erratic picture sizes... I saved them all as 800 x 600. Honest! :? :oops:

:lol: :lol: they are fine you have finally learned :lol:

Loving the pics and I would happily trade in my mint figs for my childhood ones. You must be in dreamland right now :D and the luke wally pic is a nice touch :wink:

So no playsets? I'd imagine expecting them to survive would be hoping for too much :!:

TC-14

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Absolutely awesome

I'd be tempted not to clean them either

Cheers, Mike- and you know... I'm going to leave them with their original patina, like you suggest.

mumbo said:
So no playsets? I'd imagine expecting them to survive would be hoping for too much :!:

No playsets unfortunately, although I've got my Millennium Falcon (which was filled with water and used as a swimming pool for the figures during the summer months by my nephews, bless 'em :lol: ) and Snowspeeder vehicles, and some beat up die-casts. It's more than I was expecting, to be honest :shock:

To think that these are the same toys that me and my mates played with all those years ago... it's an odd feeling :D

Here's the whole kaboodle on temporary display:

WholeCollectionJune2013_zpsfde9b4df.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom