Nick's Jawa Focus - 26/04/2014 UPDATE

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
It's a very impressive collection you have there although it does make me feel a little sad.

I totally understand variant collecting and also how fantastic it is to see large army's of the same figure but I can't help but feel that there are a lot of people who are struggling to find some of these items as they're so tied up in one place. I'm not having a pop as it's definitely each to their own in this world we live in but I just feel a little sorry for some of the new (and old), collectors out there.

With that said though I know you set your mind to all of this a while ago and I take my hat off to you with amassing such a truly stunning collection in such a comparatively short time. :D

Ian

I totally understand where you are coming from - though there are a number of VCJs every week on various sites. If somebody wants something - its usually always there - finding it cheap is the problem. Some of mine have defects that people are just too fussy to buy and had sat around for a while before I picked them up. Try to buy ones in EU as they don't sell for as much as ones that are US based - Yanks pay way more than us euro folks and they tend not to buy them from the EU. Same goes for the LL ones really - though less common on ebay. Ozio over on TIG is a good one to contact for those.

If someone is looking for rarer figures (VCJ, BSnags, Yaks and such), then they need to shout it out - and we can all help point them in the right directions and help each other find those grail figs and such. But if people don't speak up - we can't help them. I'd be happy to help, though I've not been here long and my contacts list is shorter than Kenner Baker's nob - some of you oldies must know plenty of people :)

I've assumed those are the ones you are referring to? As nobody can be struggling to find a regular Jawa :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Nick_IoW said:
Palifan said:
It's a very impressive collection you have there although it does make me feel a little sad.

I totally understand variant collecting and also how fantastic it is to see large army's of the same figure but I can't help but feel that there are a lot of people who are struggling to find some of these items as they're so tied up in one place. I'm not having a pop as it's definitely each to their own in this world we live in but I just feel a little sorry for some of the new (and old), collectors out there.

With that said though I know you set your mind to all of this a while ago and I take my hat off to you with amassing such a truly stunning collection in such a comparatively short time. :D

Ian

I totally understand where you are coming from - though there are a number of VCJs every week on various sites. If somebody wants something - its usually always there - finding it cheap is the problem. Some of mine have defects that people are just too fussy to buy and had sat around for a while before I picked them up. Try to buy ones in EU as they don't sell for as much as ones that are US based - Yanks pay way more than us euro folks and they tend not to buy them from the EU. Same goes for the LL ones really - though less common on ebay. Ozio over on TIG is a good one to contact for those.

If someone is looking for rarer figures (VCJ, BSnags, Yaks and such), then they need to shout it out - and we can all help point them in the right directions and help each other find those grail figs and such. But if people don't speak up - we can't help them. I'd be happy to help, though I've not been here long and my contacts list is shorter than Kenner Baker's nob - some of you oldies must know plenty of people :)

I've assumed those are the ones you are referring to? As nobody can be struggling to find a regular Jawa :)

Really good to hear that Nick and it's not that I'm after something for myself, it's just that I do notice comments from people on here who are struggling to find things from time to time. Your collection is quite a sight to behold though and it does seem like you're in it for the long haul and also maybe one day you'll have your own vintage Star Wars museum! :D

The thing that really upsets me the most with this collecting though is when people just seem to buy things and then almost instantly flip them. I'm not talking about traders buying and selling as that's been around for ever, but it's people coming onto forums like this and acting like they're getting into collecting or starting a focus and then just sticking the items they pick up instantly on ebay.

It's probably naive of me to think that forum members would just buy items because they want them for their collection and not to gain a profit but I just wished it worked that way all the time. There always seems to be an Erick lurking around somewhere and I know things can change with all of our collecting habits from time to time (or unforeseen financial difficulties), but sometimes it might be worth spending an extra few minutes when thinking about buying something to make sure it's something you really want for your collection as you may well be taking the food out of another members mouth, so to speak (not that I'm saying you do or have ever done this in the slightest Nick). There is a lot of Star Wars out there for everybody but it's just a shame that some of the prices have been driven up so much by people just flipping it for a quick buck.

As I said earlier, this isn't at all having a go at people making a living from finding things out in the wild but just something that bugs me when I feel it's happening on forums like this.

Ian

Joe

Grand Master
Palifan said:

Ian

I do get where you are coming from Palifan and I can understand why it might look like Nick (and other focus collectors) are hoarding figures but perhaps to put things in perspective and make others more aware of the quantities of production items that are out there still, we need to remember one thing:

Nick put his collection together in less than a year....

Sure..he had the good fortune of having a bit of spare cash to do it but he still managed to source it all in a short short space of time. I guess in theory if it wasn't out there he wouldn't have been able to buy it..so we can only assume that even now in 2014 there is no real shortage of "goodies" if you put your mind to it and take the time to hunt them out.

I wouldn't want people to start thinking that focus collectors (of any kind) are selfish people or anything, just because they seemingly buy up the same figure "X" amount of times.

If anything, seeing a focus like Nick's Jawa collection may spark interest in other collectors to do a similar run. I always felt that the really cool part about focus collectors that collect to this degree (and share too) is that their limelights then become reference threads for other collectors which can only be a good thing.

Sometimes someone has to do the leg work to find all these obscure sticker or card variations in order to document them for others after all!

What I really want to say is that I am a big fan of focus collecting and I honestly think that focus collectors do much more good than they do bad.

It's true that they may create some fierce competition on items at times because of that "must have" impulse but I don't think anyone is buying stuff up in order to make others go without and I don't think people would be going without even if they were simply because there really is so much out there.

Every focus guy I have ever met genuinely collects because of their love for that particular area/character or whatever it is they are collecting.

Focus collecting will always be seen as extreme to some of course but it's most certainly always fuelled by a passion for collecting and IMO the benefits that focus collectors bring to the hobby far outweigh the detriments (if there are any).

Joe

Palifan

Sith Lord
Some very good points Joe and I certainly wasn't putting down Nicks truly stunning efforts as there is a joy in seeing a huge number of the same figure put together.

I think for me the variations thing makes sense and the army building is slightly in a different area for me. That said though it's not really my place to mention that here in Nicks limelight thread as it is just that, his limelight, and a glorious one at that! :D I just couldn't help but mention it as it was the way I felt at the time but I really didn't mean to cause any offence to him.

Ian

mumbo

Sith Lord
Nick your collections is insane, what a sight :shock: must be like living in a dreamland 8)

Do you think Jawa's will return for ep VII :?:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Fantastic sight to see such a focus collection, if I had the funds then I would def go down a focus route.

But to see this is superb, and a testament to Nicks commitment and tenacity, whats more Nick is a member of this superb forum, and is sharing the SW Jawa fest, not hoarding and coming across all elitist.

I'm quite happy to state I collect on a miserly budget, and in my dreams will never own some if the grail pieces, and focus collections like this, so to be able to be part of a group of collectors where your not judged on the size, value or rarity of what you have is so refreshing.

I often go through limelight s and it gives me a buzz, maybe that's just me.

Completely understand both sides of the fence, but to me the more focus collectors we have, the more SW sweetness the tiddlers like me can view and see all in one place.

Thanks for sharing and continue to do so :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
Completely understand both sides of the fence, but to me the more focus collectors we have, the more SW sweetness the tiddlers like me can view and see all in one place.

I totally agree with both you and Joe on this point about focus collecting and was certainly not talking about that area of variant collecting earlier.

Finding all those figures out there with even the slightest difference to their packaging or COO/sculpt/paintwork, is a real achievement to put together in one place and also important to document. New discoveries turn up all the time to expand peoples collections and also keep the hobby alive. I've seen some truly stunning character focuses on here and other sites that highlight just how many differences there are in seemingly the same character. Nick's Jawa focus is certainly up there with other character focuses I've seen over the years.

I thought I should mention this to make sure I wasn't miss understood with my earlier comment. When people set their mind to collecting in one particular area I think they deserve to have any variation out there that they've spent their time tracking down. I know from personal experience that it's about the thrill of the hunt tracking down those gaps in our collections and some of those items maybe very rare and few and far between but it's great to see someone find them when they're willing to put everything into it. I don't see that side as hoarding or not sharing at all as it's all about finding and collecting all those differences in one place for the focus collector.

Looking forward to seeing those new discoveries in later posts! :D

Ian

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hi guys.

I would like to make a couple of points here if I may. I have had a vcj as the only thing on my wtb thread since about jan I think. I want an ungraded example, not to expensive. It's been bumped a couple of times. I don't aggressively bump the thread as I don't want to piss people off. I have been offered no leads or help at all. I only use this forum as I don't find RS very friendly, don't trust ebay and don't like the idea of postage from the us. The customs thread here is enough to put me off. I'm not sure many of the wtb posts get looked at any more. If anyone wants to prove me wrong and point me in the right direction, I will happily eat my words.

Secondly, do you guys think when there is a focus collector who has cash on the hip, it serves to flush certain items out, as people will know the buyer has money and wants the item, and it makes a really easy sale at market value. I suppose if you have a huge collection and need to sell a piece it is easier to go to focus collector a with your item and sell it quickly then take something else from your collection and then spend months selling on a payment plan at a price you aren't 100% happy with.

Whilst I'm here, I should add this limelight is jaw dropping. It has quality in depth as well as quantity. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Fantastic jawa collection 8) I think you are only missing the ones I have then you have all jawas in the galaxy :lol:

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Not seen this before, unbelievable stuff. Hats off to you Nick, now that's what I call a focus.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
That collection is absolutely overwhelming Nick :eek: :eek:
R there any Jawas left in the world :lol:

The Palitoy 45b is superb :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom