Meccano Imperial Troop Transport and Palitoy Window Sticker

spoons

Grand Master
This really belongs in the 'valuation' section but it's kind of a weird story.

I noticed a Palitoy imperial troop transport on ebay the other day advertised with an original Palitoy 'The toys of the film are here' window sticker. Supposedly only three of these stickers are known to exist so I made an offer out of ebay, which was refused and the auction left to run.

I won the auction for less than my offer but the seller had pretty mixed feedback so I wasn't sure what I was going to get.

I received the boxed transport, with inserts and instructions but one of the doors had been glued - and it was described as mint. Instead of the sticker I got a set of vintage SW soaps and a sealed ROTJ glow in the dark eraser set and a sealed ROTJ pop a pencil set.

I obviously complained, and bizarrely enough today I got a full refund and was allowed to keep everything that was sent.

Do you reckon he was paid a mint for the sticker, or just didn't want his crap back and wanted to protect his feedback?

Anyway I've just noticed that the transport is a printed Meccano Palitoy box - I thought the French ones were stickers on the Palitoy box or have I got that wrong?

and are the French ones sought after? - Emiel must know :D

Thanks to Jason too, for his sticker help and advice shame it came to nothing

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry Andy, I must confess to scant knowledge as Meccano stuff goes. Have you checked the Meccano to Trilogo book?

Could you give us a pic?

Shame about the sticker, yes, he probably got paid a mint off ebay.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
spoons said:
This really belongs in the 'valuation' section but it's kind of a weird story.

I noticed a Palitoy imperial troop transport on ebay the other day advertised with an original Palitoy 'The toys of the film are here' window sticker. Supposedly only three of these stickers are known to exist so I made an offer out of ebay, which was refused and the auction left to run.

I won the auction for less than my offer but the seller had pretty mixed feedback so I wasn't sure what I was going to get.

I received the boxed transport, with inserts and instructions but one of the doors had been glued - and it was described as mint. Instead of the sticker I got a set of vintage SW soaps and a sealed ROTJ glow in the dark eraser set and a sealed ROTJ pop a pencil set.

I obviously complained, and bizarrely enough today I got a full refund and was allowed to keep everything that was sent.

Do you reckon he was paid a mint for the sticker, or just didn't want his crap back and wanted to protect his feedback?

Anyway I've just noticed that the transport is a printed Meccano Palitoy box - I thought the French ones were stickers on the Palitoy box or have I got that wrong?

and are the French ones sought after? - Emiel must know :D

Thanks to Jason too, for his sticker help and advice shame it came to nothing

I think i looked at the same auction but didnt think much of it.

spoons

Grand Master
the sticker is very rare if its not a repro - but I guess most people didn't think much of it as it sold for less than £50

Cheers Emiel - I checked the book. The French version does have Meccano printed on the box, but a sticker over the Palitoy logo.

I have the French version but sold in the UK, so it has the UK instructions and no sticker.

Here's a pic of the haul - anyone want some soap :roll:

290611002.jpg

SWsoapsandpencils.jpg

290611005.jpg

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah that's the standard Palitoy version Andy, sorry.

Very interesting for me though as I always thought it had those white inserts that are connected to the box (Like the Palitoy Snowspeeder and Falcon).

spoons

Grand Master
It has the white inserts too - but also this bit of card. I nearly bought a mint boxed one at mem one year, but the guy said the insert was missing. I guess he meant this card?

I'll probably pick up a decent box and transport and add the insert and instructions

Emiel - I'd never noticed the French bit before :oops:

What's the difference between the grey and red battery covers? I thought the grey one came with the Seers version

Boba 71

Padawan
I have the same model I brought when it first came out all those many moons ago. Mine came with a red battery cover.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
spoons said:
What's the difference between the grey and red battery covers? I thought the grey one came with the Seers version
Seems like the Imperial Cruiser also came with a red battery cover. I too would like to know the story behind the grey cover ( I have one & thought it was reproparts crap :oops: )

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I had this version a while back and it had a red battery covery. Couldnt say for sure that it was the original ship for that box though. Its quite possible that they came with both Red and Grey battery covers.

jimmymindtricks

Jedi Master
@ spoons do you have a pic of what that sticker is suppose to look like

ive been offerd the same box , but with the bounty hunter logo's on the side of it
did dare to buy it as i didnt have any clue on value

jimmy

spoons

Grand Master
Which sticker Jimmy - the 'made in France' one? If so, no but there's one in the tri-logo book. I can scan it if you want.

I wouldn't pay much extra for a 'made in' sticker, as I'm sure you'll find one elsewhere

spoons

Grand Master
Hyver said:
what would you like for those soaps spoonman?

Not sure Hyver - the only other example I could find is this

http://www.collectorsgalleryonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CG&Product_Code=S4PACK&Category_Code=OCS

Mine is in better condition but the plastic window has come loose

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom