Long Time suspected FAKE baggies scam / seller

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Clearly a great deal of work has gone in by a raft of highly respected collectors. This has obviously not been done lightly, and has been done for the greater good of the hobby, and in the interests of each and everyone of us, certainly not from spite, or any hidden agenda.
The point made is extremely relevant, the centre of the situation needs to come out and speak on the subject.

Hats off for having the insight and sense of duty to bring this out into the open, too many in this day and age will turn a blind eye and leave unpleasant duties to others.

finestcomics

Padawan
My first thoughts in seeing the shoddy print is that it's the perfect scam if the allegations turn out to be true. Normally, it's the first thing that would stick out, but a bad stamp job on a baggie holds up with vintage being tossed around and worn over time. I'll have to go through my baggies, which were mostly bought 5-6 years ago.

xbomber

Padawan
Respect to the work that's gone in to this. Trying to await the view of the other side but it's really not looking good...

wrighty

Sith Lord
Wow, the cat is truely out of the bag. Frank, you say there are evidence Jeff were selling these fake baggies but is there any direct proof he made them? I recently made a deal to buy a SW A Jawa baggie from him, after 2 months of nothing arriving I contacted him for a tracking number, he couldn't give me one, saying he definitely packed it but can't remember if he sent it, anyway he gave me a full refund. I still hope it's not true, it's really sad news!! :?

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:
too many in this day and age will turn a blind eye and leave unpleasant duties to others.

Sadly this is true.

As I said they are suspected to be fake & suspected that Jeff may well be making them himself, if he is not then he is being had by whomever is selling them to him, I would love to see the evidence if this is the case so Jeff can clear his name & put right any possible misunderstanding & offer those affected a full refund & monitor what he is buying & selling more closely, though it's not one or 2 baggie, not even 10 or 20, we are talking about huge volumes & any baggie collector who has been collecting them for some time, should have spotted at least some of these affected ones, the floor is yours if you wish to come on & explain the situation Jeff, as I & I am sure others are all willing to listen, all I know is that 100's of baggies which to me do not look legitimate have come from the same direction without any other high volume sellers offering the same kind of items for sale.

I have even had the grading company approach me with some of these & I have had to agree that IMO they are indeed fake.

These are the red text baggie I spoke of earlier but forgot to include an image of -

unnamed1_zps5m7uyfj1.jpg

Why if you knew an item was clearly not right would you offer it up for sale again without clear disclosure.

I will forward the link to this thread on to Jeff myself as I have nothing to hide.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Grant_C said:
I wonder if the investigation will prove better discussed on the forums or on Facebook? Topical.

Know your question was tongue in cheek, Grant (or at least I think it was), but we discussed this privately before Frank went public (I was included on the pre-discussion to help the guys with the legal view on this potential fraud on the hobby). My personal view and I think those of the others was that it would do the hobby a great disservice if this was discussed in multiple thread across many FB groups and forums.

For that reason, hopefully admins in various FB groups will post links to this thread to let their members know about the issue, but direct them to this forum thread to discuss the issue so that it is all here.

plantainman

Jedi Master
Very disappointing. I imagine many buyers have paid 'that premium' thinking they are buying from a trusted seller and it turns out maybe they're being duped into buying fakes? So very sad if it turns out this seller has been defrauding folk for years.

I think we need to start a new sticky thread tracking the 'going rate' of integrity instead of loose figure prices!!

maxf

Jedi Master
Grant_C said:
Frank- you should contact Jeff before releasing this in my opinion......

I've got to agree. The evidence is fairly damning, but you need to at least speak to him before you hand out the pitchforks to the baying mob.

spoons

Grand Master
Good work in outing these Frank but very depressing. The scary thing is what other fakes are out there and yet to be discovered.

I'd be happy if Jeff could clear his name, he did seem like a nice guy at FF. Unfortunately the hobby has had too many nice guys that wanted to make a fast buck, I hope Jeff is not one of them.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Ross_Barr said:
Grant_C said:
I wonder if the investigation will prove better discussed on the forums or on Facebook? Topical.

Know your question was tongue in cheek, Grant (or at least I think it was), but we discussed this privately before Frank went public (I was included on the pre-discussion to help the guys with the legal view on this potential fraud on the hobby). My personal view and I think those of the others was that it would do the hobby a great disservice if this was discussed in multiple thread across many FB groups and forums.

For that reason, hopefully admins in various FB groups will post links to this thread to let their members know about the issue, but direct them to this forum thread to discuss the issue so that it is all here.

Once this is posted or link from FB there is no way to stop people discussing and commenting on the thread hence starting multiple discussions, unless admin block comments on the link - is that possible?

xbomber

Padawan
I'd normally suggest this thread be removed and confirmed offline from both perspectives... but 140+ users plus scores of guests tells me this dirty linen is going to be washed in public.

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
Whilst I do agree that this should have been made public I also tend to agree that Jeff should have been approached first to make him aware that if he didn't give good explanation or reason for the amount of "suspected" fake baggies passing through his hands then it would in fact be made public.

I understand that a lot of time and effort would and probably has gone into this before making it public and whilst the evidence seems damning that they are at least passing through his hands and that a collector/trader of his knowledge should be able to see they are fake or ask an expert such as Frank, he still deserves the opportunity to explain.

Unfortunately that option is now unavailable.

Hopefully there is a plausible explanation for what is and has been happening but from experience both in the past and current it does seem unlikely.

My problem is that I like to believe the good in everyone and unfortunately it's not always the case.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
At the request of the photographer who took the images at FF of the stall & Jeff I have had to remove those images & his name from the post, as they are not my images but were posted in the investigations group, I have no choice but to grant that request & as such they have been removed.

I have sent Jeff an email with a link to this in hopes he will come on & clear this up if it is a simple case he is also the victim of a fraud on a large scale??

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
wrighty said:
Ross_Barr said:
Grant_C said:

Once this is posted or link from FB there is no way to stop people discussing and commenting on the thread hence starting multiple discussions, unless admin block comments on the link - is that possible?

Admins have multiple options to prevent that. They can delete any comments on the thread in FB or actually turn off commenting on the thread, opening it up only to bump it themselves and then turn commenting back off.

IMO this is what all admins in all groups should be doing on their threads about this. Directing folks to this forum and this thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom