Another VC Jawa Palitoy found

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Hothrebel said:
Hi i am new to the whole forum thing,I was at vectis today and have had a look at this figure it certainly looks the real deal.i have some pictures which I will add when I figure out how to do it,

Is hothrebel your eBay name? If so I think I keep buying your stuff :)

fun4kids

Padawan
Making the news now

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/teesvalley/hartlepool/10623608._Holy_Grail__of_Star_Wars_figures_expected_to_fetch_thousands_at_North_East_auction/

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
fun4kids said:
Making the news now

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/teesvalley/hartlepool/10623608._Holy_Grail__of_Star_Wars_figures_expected_to_fetch_thousands_at_North_East_auction/

I think her facial expression could knock another 2k off the price.

Lee77

Sith Lord
I reckon with a bit of persuasion and a hair dryer you could probably make that bubble look a little better, not that I'd try it myself :shock:
It's a bit of a shame that the person who found this wants to remain anonymous and won't say where it came from. It would have been interesting to find out if it was ex shop stock or salesman sample.
Is this the second example that's turned up after Richards or is there still another floating around?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Lee77 said:
I reckon with a bit of persuasion and a hair dryer you could probably make that bubble look a little better, not that I'd try it myself :shock:
It's a bit of a shame that the person who found this wants to remain anonymous and won't say where it came from. It would have been interesting to find out if it was ex shop stock or salesman sample.
Is this the second example that's turned up after Richards or is there still another floating around?

The back story on this piece is that it was purchased at an antiques fair with three other palitoy 12 backs relatively cheaply.

There have been calls to have it graded before auction to get a better price. With the bubble in that state it could get a bad grade which would lower the price. If I were selling, I'd try and sort out the bubble kinks and get it graded by UKG. Then either keep it graded or crack it out its case depending on how badly the bubble scored.

This will be the 3rd example after Richards graded one and the Elstree one from last year. There are also 1-2 in private collections which can't be confirmed, so 4-5 thought to exist at this point.

:)

Jason

Lee77

Sith Lord
Wasn't the elstree one the one that Richard bought and got graded?

Tbh, from a grading point if view, although it would show that it was a legit seal and the card wasn't inked, it'd probably knock the value down. Looking at the pics on my phone, I reckon the edge wear would make the card 80, bubble 70 and figure 85/90 so probably an overall 70. It would probably be better just to get it authenticated with no grade.
Either way its well out of my price range. Hopefully nick can grab it.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Lee77 said:
Wasn't the elstree one the one that Richard bought and got graded?

Tbh, from a grading point if view, although it would show that it was a legit seal and the card wasn't inked, it'd probably knock the value down. Looking at the pics on my phone, I reckon the edge wear would make the card 80, bubble 70 and figure 85/90 so probably an overall 70. It would probably be better just to get it authenticated with no grade.
Either way its well out of my price range. Hopefully nick can grab it.

No, the one at Elstree is different as his coat buttons up the other way round.

Richard's one graded AFA 75, so not far off what this one might grade at with a little bubble work.

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's amazing what people call 'busted up' these days, that is a beautiful piece! I really hate the way grading has now attached a negative stigma to anything with even minor imperfections. Most of my carded collection had pin holes, cracked bubbles, sellotape repairs, ink touch ups etc in the 90s. Nobody complained back then.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Lee77 said:
Hopefully nick can grab it.

I imagine there's a few folks here looking to bid. Them Pali fans are a tricksy lot ;)

edd_jedi said:
It's amazing what people call 'busted up' these days, that is a beautiful piece! I really hate the way grading has now attached a negative stigma to anything with even minor imperfections. Most of my carded collection had pin holes, cracked bubbles, sellotape repairs, ink touch ups etc in the 90s. Nobody complained back then.

Definitely agree with you Ed, to be honest I wouldnt care if it was half coloured in with crayons - its an awesome piece. I'm certainly not fussed about "overpaying" as I dont see it as a financial investment, but would be a welcome addition to the Jawa focus - and would give said focus something very few others will ever have.

Drakon

Jedi Knight
Okay I am going to play devils advocate here. Isn't it a bit weird that these have all started showing up at the same time? The last one sold and graded came from a known repro maker. Plus the seal on Palitoys can be reproduced. They aren't similar to the Kenner 12 backs with the waffle pattern. Not trying to start a flame war...just a thought.
Off my box.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Drakon said:
Okay I am going to play devils advocate here. Isn't it a bit weird that these have all started showing up at the same time? The last one sold and graded came from a known repro maker. Plus the seal on Palitoys can be reproduced. They aren't similar to the Kenner 12 backs with the waffle pattern. Not trying to start a flame war...just a thought.
Off my box.

Mirrors what happened with Large Head Han years ago. First there were 1 or 2, and now there are half a dozen odd. And vcj's havent all shown up at the same time. The graded one from this year has been doing the rounds for years, the Elstree one is from last year and the vectis one is from this year. There are also examples in private collections which have probably been there for years. And I would doubt you could make reseals of a Palitoy MOCs that could fool AFA and many experienced Palitoy collectors first hand.
Also occam's razor, there is no grand conspiracy. Also, once a figure variation/card combo is accepted as real, more collectors are likely to come forward and say they have
one. Otherwise they are just at the receiving end of all the naysayers that were out there.

I rest my case

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah 2 reasons IMO:

1) People off the radar see how much one sold for and then sell or reveal theirs
2) Suspected fakes have more credibility (considering 6 months ago all were deemed fakes)

It wouldn't surprise me if a dozen show up over the next year. It won't hurt values as they will be in mega demand and still much rarer than stuff like DT Kenner figures.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Yeah 2 reasons IMO:

1) People off the radar see how much one sold for and then sell or reveal theirs
2) Suspected fakes have more credibility (considering 6 months ago all were deemed fakes)

It wouldn't surprise me if a dozen show up over the next year. It won't hurt values as they will be in mega demand and still much rarer than stuff like DT Kenner figures.

I doubt we'll see that many. We've only seen half a dozen odd opened examples during the same time period.

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Maybe you're right that we won't see that many, but I am sure they're out there. It's easy for us all to forget that the entire global stock of carded figures aren't on public view on RS, eBay and here :lol:

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
It's made it to the daily mail now - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2399178/Rare-Jawa-Star-Wars-toy-mere-12-000-auction.html

Could be bad news for the price - and with having to fork out an extra 20% on top to Vectis, its going to be a crazy final price, but I am hoping everyone forgets about it in the next 2 months :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom