Palitoy Death Star - box restoration.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
As some have you know I managed to finally land a boxed Palitoy Death Star, and as your saw, wasn't packed or described in the ebay listing very well at all.

However, despite the box flap hanging on with old sellotape, it was in pretty good condition and I could see it would clean up and display very well. These boxes are notoriously hard to find in decent condition, almost impossible these days.

Here are some pics of how it arrived:

DSCN1065.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

DSCN1067.jpg

Luckily the break along the seam of the card was pretty clean and the inner flaps were still present. And whoever did the original repair did a poor job which was also good news as it was starting to come loose in places.

First job was to get the wife's hairdryer out and remove the tape...

DSCN1073.jpg

Then, using small amounts of furniture polish, I managed to remove almost all the tape residue leaving a much cleaner box.

After a hunt around the house I found some 180gsm grey card that would be great for re-attaching the flap and box. Didn't want anything to thick like corrugated card as this would compromise the fold and I also wanted it to blend as much as possible. 180gsm is perfect.
After cutting the piece to suit I applied a small amount of wood / pva glue and using a scrap of card spread it out evenly over the area:

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1104.jpg

It's important to get an even spread so the card won't bubble or warp where there is no glue. The pva will also add to thicken the card once it's set.

Now it's ready to fix the flap to the box:

DSCN1101.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

Align the score up carefully then weight it down for a couple of hours on a flat surface...

DSCN1105.jpg

...and bingo!

DSCN1106.jpg

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
When the flap is completely off, there's isn't a lot else you can do.

Another thing you could do is to create an insert. These early Palitoy playsets didn't come with inserts so they're often a bit saggy, but if you find a long strip of cardboard cut to the exact depth of the box that will push in down both sides and the rear then you can give the whole box a great shape and make it sturdier.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Thanks chaps, I'm more than happy with it and unless my numbers come up on the lottery or nobody else bothers bidding I doubt I'll get one of those sealed DS's from Vectis!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
When the flap is completely off, there's isn't a lot else you can do.

Another thing you could do is to create an insert. These early Palitoy playsets didn't come with inserts so they're often a bit saggy, but if you find a long strip of cardboard cut to the exact depth of the box that will push in down both sides and the rear then you can give the whole box a great shape and make it sturdier.

I did this with a Toltoys Landspeeder box that was so badly creased and damaged there was nothing else you could do with it. If it had been a Kenner box I probably wouldn't have bothered and sold it on as is but the Toltoys version is getting pretty hard to come by, did the trick fine.

I also do this with some of the 'thinner' boxes I have, like my Palitoy Twin Pod, just means it displays better and keeps the integrity of the box more 'box like'!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great stuff and nice to see the end result.

I have made some internal stabalizers for my Palitoy Snowspeeder, worked very well and also helps prevent further damage.

A

Anonymous

Nice work. Double sided tape instead of the PVA glue would have been kinder on the box. The PVA will stain over time.

Cheers

Dave

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
moosinthehoos said:
The PVA will stain over time.

You mean the PVA will eventually show through the box graphics on the other side?! Not come across that before, how long does this take?

I find double sided has very little adhesive effect on some boxes, owing to the texture on the card.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
SublevelStudios said:
moosinthehoos said:
The PVA will stain over time.

You mean the PVA will eventually show through the box graphics on the other side?! Not come across that before, how long does this take?

I find double sided has very little adhesive effect on some boxes, owing to the texture on the card.

This is similar to the way I have repaired boxes. I have always used a glue stick or school grade glue, both work well and I have seen no signs of bleed thru.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom