Vintage V Modern collecting experience story

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
Stock option if you don't know somebody that well, get them a Star Wars present for Chrimbo as they like Star Wars. Suited me fine as I ended up with more star wars toys than I would ever have got as a boy from my partner's family. This included some modern stuff, a Rey figure, Darth Vader- not sure what the f' he is doing being pimped out for TFA (also got an R2 chocolate box which doubles as a money tin- boom. I also managed to palm off a too tight death star Pac man T shirt back at one of them as a gift- he loved it, and with good reason. So I thought f' it if it's okay for them to get me modern stuff it makes it okay for me to go and get the one figure that I wouldn't mind having so I went out and got a KR figure.

Having the three of them sat on the book shelf and having had time to look at them for a while I feel really peed off. Don't get me wrong I like the Kylo image on the packaging but they seem so gimmicky compared to vintage. The main thing being the weird stand up laser combo thing that each one comes with. (mini spoiler) None of the tfa characters have stand up laser cannon things in the film. Fair enough if just one was packaged with it, but all of them? How **** do they think kids are. No-one wants to get KR and other characters facing off with stand up laser cannons, extendable light sabre attachment maybe, extra blaster- yes, but stand up laser cannon, or whatever they are, that's bs. Vintage would never have done that, okay they make the Stormtrooper right and Greedo left handed when everybody knows that's wrong, but it almost adds to the mystique. I just couldn't understand it, maybe they think that they can charge an extra 5er for the cannon thing. Just didn't feel right.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
My boys (7 & 9) love the add-on bits. My niece and nephew (8 & 6) do as well. You've got to remember that times have changed + we're not kids anymore. It's all about imaginative play. I don't particularly like them either, but I'm not the target audience.

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
It's a fair point Cazza, my boys are 8 months and 2. It'll be interesting as they get older to see what they think of them. I suppose when we were younger I was so thrilled to have a space character with a gun, it was so different to the bog standard cars and stuff. Nowadays they've probably psychoanalysed what kids want as there's so much competing stuff and worked out it's the stand up laser cannons. It's too random to be left to chance. I'm looking forward to going through that with them. The 2 year old loves Octonauts, have tried to get him onto Star Wars Rebels, but no interest yet, although when we go to the shop he knows what the star wars logo is, must be subconscious given the amount of stuff knocking around in the house. I hope he loves it, but as long as he's happy it doesn't matter.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I'm sure they'll both love it. My eldest was 4 when we first let him watch Star Wars on his birthday- he was blown away 8) My second watched it when he was just 3, and again was blown away. They love all their modern stuff, but also have a couple of vintage figures and mini-rigs, which they have great respect for. They also love my collection and are ultra careful with everything. They're fascinated with my old scrapbook etc as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom