This forum is brilliant

lejackal

Grand Master
Just looking through some old pics and came across this that reminded me how many fantastic friendships have been built up on this forum. This is my little one a few months old in 2017 with a little ewok sent to us by Scott @Hooch

Feel free to share any similar memories

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Great idea for a thread! I've had lots of people going out of their way to give me a heads up on things I've been looking for, such as @lejackal and @Mini99. Always so thoughtful. Also, people helping me complete runs- @Palifan, who has been so helpful with my Palitoy 12-backs, tonnes of advice/tips and cups of tea in the Aardman cantine! The So'Wester's group: @Clarkspie&chips, @Christian, @roundster, @MrGudz for loads of advice/support, and people for generally being 'top blokes', such as @Michael Sith and @db94 for sending freebies etc. Colin even bought some Rebels figures for my sons when he was on holiday in the US. A great community!!!!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Really enjoy regular drop into the forum, some great members, on here who are always happy to help out with advice. Really a little Oasis, where you can relax and immerse yourself in all things SW alongside like minded people, genuine collectors. Long may it continue

Arielma14

Great idea for a thread! I've had lots of people going out of their way to give me a heads up on things I've been looking for, such as @lejackal and @Mini99. Always so thoughtful. Also, people helping me complete runs- @Palifan, who has been so helpful with my Palitoy 12-backs mutuelles TNS, tonnes of advice/tips and cups of tea in the Aardman cantine! The So'Wester's group: @Clarkspie&chips, @Christian, @roundster, @MrGudz for loads of advice/support, and people for generally being 'top blokes', such as @Michael Sith and @db94 for sending freebies etc. Colin even bought some Rebels figures for my sons when he was on holiday in the US. A great community!!!!
I would love to see these figurines if you would like to send us some pictures.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I've only recently started to come back on a regular basis. Having spent a lot time on the various Facebook groups, I think ultimately I missed being part of a collectors' forum. There's something about it that FB groups are not able to emulate.

Would be nice if we could get this buzzing like it used to :cool:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
It was (imo) the transition of sales from here to Facebook that has had the biggest impact. The masses predominantly want to buy first, chat later. How to change that I don't know
I'm sure that's true about most sales moving to Facebook that's pushed some users away from the forum. However, leaving aside my personal dislike of Facebook (I'm 50; I've never really seen the point! :ROFLMAO:), I do think the forum offers a more friendly and accessible arena for vintage Star Wars collectors of all kinds to come and learn about and share all things relating to this wonderful hobby.

Although I flatter myself that I am not a novice collector, the more I do learn about vintage the more I realise there is left to learn, and this forum has played its part in my continuing education. SWFUK is an invaluable resource of knowledge, combined with a friendly and helpful group of regulars, and a welcome larger group of less frequent visitors, all of whom play their part in making this a fun, informative and enjoyable place to visit. I don't believe Facebook can begin to compete with that, and hopefully that will help bring more collectors, both old and new, back to the fold :).

Of course if anyone can think of any other ways to attract members, that's even better!

Jeremy

sith-smith

Grand Master
I can see that FB is a better place for someone to sell. I find the groups on there are good for quick and easy discussion, but not for the depth that you used to find on forums like this one. And the enormity of posts on there means things can so get lost/missed easily.

Maybe collectors have just gotten used to the quick and easy gratification that FB provides?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm sure that's probably very true, but I also think it's not just collectors. Attention spans seem to be reducing both with each new generation and each year that passes! Fewer and fewer people seem to be willing to put in the effort required, and instead want instant results all the time. And that's a shame, because as I hardly need tell you, this forum will repay them handsomely if they do put in the effort :)

sith-smith

Grand Master
I think that's the issue - effort. It's almost certainly worth it, and way beyond just quick and easy sales. There's a wealth of info, opinions, discussion and I've made many friends from forums, had people give me numerous heads up on pieces I needed.

But if people don't want to make the effort anymore, then that's going to be the first hurdle - getting them to see that it's worth it, and more so than the quick satisfaction FB gives.

I definitely think there could be a place for both though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom