SW event at Legoland Windsor a bit of a let down

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Not sure if this is a rant or merely an observation because I am lucky enough to have been to and seen better things but I have just been to Legoland Windsor for the May the 4th weekend and in a nutshell, what a let down...

Don't get me wrong I love Legoland, the park is fun, who doesn't love lego and it is well kept and very good for the kids, but when they advertise a special Star Wars weekend I have an expectation that is will be an 'event'. I should preference my expectations may be tainted by the fact that I spent a week in Euro-Disney last month and whatevery you think of Disney they know how to run a theme park and put on a show.

So when my daughter and I rocked up to Windsor with the promise of events and parades and general SW revelry we found ourselves somewhat disappointed. The parade was really a couple of dozen chaps and chapesses in costumes (very good ones mind you) walking through the park, the shows were a let down, the building event really was something out of a village WI stall and the landspeeder was an old banger with a fibreglass shell in a tent and not once in all the hours we were there did I see one SW character walking about the park.

I am not knocking the men and women that gave up their time for this, I believe it was the 501 people, good for them and kudos for coming out and the costumes were good, my daughter thought the chewbacca was excellent.

rather i am miffed at companies like Merlin and Lego who could do so much more, especially as they pushed the event, I know lego don't run the parks anymore but their name is still on the door and Merlin is the UK's largest owner of parks, these too should spend a little time with the Disney folks and learn how to put on an event weekend.

It wouldn't take much, character meet and greats, maybe setting up a SW games play area (they did this for the DC superhero theme day last year), some temporary decorations, part of the park could be alliance part empires? I would have loved to have some Lego designers there to show off their SW creations, sown the builder videos and maybe provide an area for kids to build their SW creations etc. Oh and a good parade has music, vehicles, theatre, interaction and a sense of magic.

Anyway, all that said I love the park and the product, just disappointed by the event, didn't stop me buying some SW t-shirts and bits and bobs though :).

Did anyone else go this weekend, if so what did you think?

mumbo

Sith Lord
That does sound like a bit of a letdown and a blatant over exaggeration on the part of merlin to raise hopes and get people in through the doors (shame on them).

I'm sure they anticipate that the kids will be more than happy to see costumed characters walking around and therefore will oversell the truth on what will actually occur, if the kids come away happy the parents are less likely to complain or feel let down and perhaps only a small percentage of parents like yourself will feel disappointed (I'd be in your boat!).

I saw some of the 501st garrison last month and they were amazing, my son was so excited he was actually tongue tied and just spent the whole time smiling from ear to ear. And that image as a parent is incredibly touching and emotional, not to mention satisfying, rewarding and amazeballs :)

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Indeed

My daughter is telling everyone one about the 'parade' and she went nuts when she saw the Chewbacca, so that is really nice. But as a paying adult it just costs so much that i expect compaines like Merlin and Lego to do a bit more. The whole thing felt like a token effort and they were just using the SW name to get more people in (as if the May day Bank Holiday and the stonking weather wasn't enough of a pull).

I am guessing there was a gate somewhere north of £2 million alone over the weekend, then add in the mark up on all the shops and pay rides etc. They made a lot of money this weekend in part pushing an event that was not a real event. That said a few people have said there was a bit more going on on the Saturday so it could just have been a Monday Blues thing, but it was advertised as a three day event and it should have been the same on all three days, it really wouldn't have cost much to up the value in relative terms.

x-pack

Grand Master
The Burnley fan day was a million times better than the Windsor one sounded. They really do make the effort. True someone is making a mint off it, but they do deserve the proceeds for the effort. 8)

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Agreed, i don't mind paying if i feel it is worth it. As i said at the start i spent a week in Euro-Disney with the kids last month and that is not a cheep place, but it is slick, professional and everything they do is to the highest quality (except maybe the tierd 80's style french cooking) and as expensive as it was i don't feel cheated, as a park and a Brand they went the extra mile in everything there and the result was fantastic.

I have been to a few SW events, some at the National Space Center and the Celebration Europe a few years back, 1 at the Barbacn and thr GLC and so on and they have all be fun, some free others costing only pounds so the 'amature' presentations, displays and activities fit with the price and therefore my expectaion, and i recall enjoying all those days out. I just think if a company charges over £30 a face value ticket while pushing an event they should factor in what people might expect to get back.

Wow, i am starting to rant, it really wasn't that bad, and i do take my daughter to Legoland half a dozen times a year anyway so it is a pointless rant at that :)

mumbo

Sith Lord
monkey_roo said:
Wow, i am starting to rant, it really wasn't that bad, and i do take my daughter to Legoland half a dozen times a year anyway so it is a pointless rant at that :)

With merit I'm sure. The park is great anyway but you just want them to be more open about the event, it's fair do's.

Did they not do something similar last year when they opened the new sw exhibition? What did they lay on then?

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yes they did a May the 4 opening last year when the new miniland opened, but I missed it, partly why I really wanted to go this year as I felt I missed out on something, turns out I didn't :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom