Rather Surprising Paypal Dispute Decision U-turn

PGowdy

Grand Master
So this is not really ebay related but possibly interesting information for anyone who deals with paypal and/or sells on ebay.

So i'll keep it as short as i can (it won't be short at all)

I recently bought a large lot of Mugs from china, to sell. 96 in total. 2 huge boxes of the ****ers.
When they arrived i was very disappointed to find that they were not the same as the mugs i had ordered. They were terrible and completely unsellable. The mugs they showed me in pictures were completely different even tho i specifically asked for additional pictures. They sent me pictures that were not of their item.

I wrote to the seller etc etc. They defined everything said the mugs were fine. etc
So i opened a paypal case, tho i was worried. I knew what was coming…

Knowing i would not be able to reach a amicable agreement with the seller i execrated the case. Paypal made their decision and stated i must return the items to receive a full refund. Not a refund including the return shipping you understand, just a refund of my initial spend. And therein lies the problem.
The lot cost me around $350 all together. Not a huge amount but it still stings. To return them to China, tracked would cost… anyone care to hazard a guess?

00076a65-dc69-4488-9bed-839055fc037d_zpsc7f10568.png

£1166 and 2 pence.

So that's that. You're screwed. Nothing you can do.
I wrote the seller a nice email trying to put the wind up them, threatening to do this and that but i knew it would do no good. I figured i would just have to take this one on the chin.

But today i woke up annoyed. I really didn't wanna let these ****ers get away with it. I also wanted to give paypal piece of my mind. Fat load of good that would do, right?

So i called paypal. Let em have it. Twisted the guy in knots and circles… the best bit was when i told him that "the only people their returns policy protects are fraudulent sellers and paypal"
He replies, shocked: "how does it protect paypal??!"
"Cos if i buy $400 worth of faulty goods and can't afford to return them the seller gets to keep their money and you get to keep your fee, right?"
He went completely silent. After about 4 seconds he mumbled "yeah :oops: " :lol:

Anyways, he explained to me that there was just nothing they could do. You must return your items whether faulty, unwanted, misdescribed, whatever for you refund. And you must pay postage. They cannot make the buyer pay the return postage. I pointed out to him that he meant to use the words "will not" to which he conceded was true.

That was basically that. He said he would pass my case onto 'blah blah blah…' i didn't really hear the rest.

I hung up the phone annoyed, as i knew i would be. Unsatisfied, as i knew i would be. and pretty disillusioned. I was out of ideas. I thought about sending back just one mug just to get a tracking number for my refund. That might work. But it might not and i might get in trouble and have my account frozen if they filed a complaint…. nope. Out of ideas. And sad. :cry:

5 minutes later… while playing Boarderlands 2 (what a game! seriously, it's a cracker!) i get an email from paypal.

"Notification of case resolution" Yeah yeah, i know, rub it in. :roll:

ScreenShot2014-03-28at155324_zps4f709d49.png

:shock: ... :shock:

I must say i consider myself a fairly seasoned ebay and paypal master and manipulator but i didn't see that one coming. I guess i should thank them…. Naaaah. :lol:

ps. Anyone wanna buy a faulty mug?? :wink:

mumbo

Sith Lord
Sweet, great result and very unexpected.

Time to get a SWFUK logo printed on them and then watch the orders flood in :lol:

PGowdy

Grand Master
tiefighterboy said:
So it was item as not described or pictured? I am amazed they refunded you without a return. The mind boggles. Good for you Pete. 8)

Me too. I've been through this kind of thing before, i'm sure we all have. I bought some trading cards form the states described as mint. They were anything but. In a right state actually. I was told i had to return them for a refund which just wasn't worth it as the shipping cost about as much as the item. So i lost money. I remember emailing paypal that time and got nothing out of it.

rob71

Sith Lord
So does this mark a change in policy, or just a one off do you think? Could be the person you were dealing with just couldn't argue with such irrefutable logic. Either way good to see common sense and fairness prevailing for once.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Bloody hell Pete, thats a turn up for the books, or mugs in this case :lol: anyway really please for you, as all to often its the shoe on the other foot (sadly)

I must admit I really want to see what you expected to get & what you actually got myself now.

Jez

Sith Lord
Congratulations Pete
A win for fair play, diplomacy, common sense and the power of persuasion.
Power to the people!

PGowdy

Grand Master
rob71 said:
So does this mark a change in policy, or just a one off do you think? Could be the person you were dealing with just couldn't argue with such irrefutable logic. Either way good to see common sense and fairness prevailing for once.

Definitely not a change in policy. As I said, the case was already decided- 'you must now return the goods. Once the seller has confirmed the goods have arrived you will receive a full refund.' And on the phone the guy he was repeating the same firm policy and that it was not possible to get around.
But altho he had to keep reciting this tosh I could tell he really saw the nonsense it it and the unfairness of my situation. I was careful not to be rude to him. I was quite clear that it was PayPal, in part, that I was pissed off with, not him. I also had an answer for every single point he put to me. My guess is after he hung up he thought "man, that guy is awesome. I'm gonna refund him"
Something like that anyway.

x-pack

Grand Master
Great stuff! All I keep seeing is people being screwed so this makes a nice change.

What's wrong with the mugs? Are they tea cups with floral patterns instead of man size mugs with Darth Vader on?

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
Excellent stuff, glad you got a favourable resolution.

Had an issue with a seller myself not so long ago and had to go through the PayPal resolution centre to claim my money back. Basically the sell miss sold me a chainset for my bike as in mint condition and fully operable...low and behold the one I received was truly f**ked, cross threaded with cracked carbon fibre crank arms; a right horror show. But after numerous comms between the seller and PayPal I finally won out and received a full refund (less the return P&P).

Have to say, in my opinion, that the PayPal site is deliberately setup in such a way that it makes it as hard as possible to both raise and add further details to the who resolution process. Clearly devised to deter would be claimants...in my opinion of course! Which in turn only serves to perpetuate peoples fraudulent behaviour as they know in the long run that they are less likely to be forced to give refunds.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
PGowdy said:
My guess is after he hung up he thought "man, that guy is awesome. I'm gonna refund him"
Something like that anyway.

Did you tell him you were a Spurs fan? It could be he just felt sorry for you after that! :wink: :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom