Paypal Purgatory

2stripes

Jedi Master
Has anyone else had their Paypal account limited recently? I have no idea why, having had the account for nearly 20 years, but they're suddenly asking for proof of address and a copy of my passport before I can continue to use it. From reading online, it might be I've gone over some invisible sellers threshold, after 2 decades of occasional selling, but I have haven't sold anything for about 6 months now, so really I have no idea why I have been asked for these details and my Wife hasn't.

From what I can see this isn't a scam, (its prompted from within my PayPal account once I login).. but I'm very averse to sharing personal info online and equally annoying I can't even close the account (I don't really want to but was tempted to). So my personal details are just sat their indefinitely unless I send the documents... but I'm just too stubborn and untrusting! 😁

I tried switching to using my wife's account and wiring her the money if I bought anything... so first up just bought a turntable for my lad, but its sat at "payment pending" for an hour. I asked the wife to log in to check if there was a reason, but she has a new phone number last week so due to additional security checks, she can't change her phone number to receive a text to allow her to log in. 🤯

Just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues? Its blocked my use of eBay or much chance of buying any more Star Wars until I sort it... should I just upload the documents to my account and be done with it???

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Has anyone else had their Paypal account limited recently? I have no idea why, having had the account for nearly 20 years, but they're suddenly asking for proof of address and a copy of my passport before I can continue to use it. From reading online, it might be I've gone over some invisible sellers threshold, after 2 decades of occasional selling, but I have haven't sold anything for about 6 months now, so really I have no idea why I have been asked for these details and my Wife hasn't.

From what I can see this isn't a scam, (its prompted from within my PayPal account once I login).. but I'm very averse to sharing personal info online and equally annoying I can't even close the account (I don't really want to but was tempted to). So my personal details are just sat their indefinitely unless I send the documents... but I'm just too stubborn and untrusting! 😁

I tried switching to using my wife's account and wiring her the money if I bought anything... so first up just bought a turntable for my lad, but its sat at "payment pending" for an hour. I asked the wife to log in to check if there was a reason, but she has a new phone number last week so due to additional security checks, she can't change her phone number to receive a text to allow her to log in. 🤯

Just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues? Its blocked my use of eBay or much chance of buying any more Star Wars until I sort it... should I just upload the documents to my account and be done with it???
It shouldn't block your use of eBay as they and Paypal are separated now, just assign a credit card to your account.
Sorry but I can't help with your PayPal issue, is it worth phoning them?

2stripes

Jedi Master
Oh, I didn't realise I could just assign a credit card, will look into that. To be honest I liked the protection Paypal afforded me and I'd needed it a few times.

I managed to get hold of a person/chat box and she/it told me I had to send the details or it would stay limited and I wouldn't be able to close it either. Quite draconian really but maybe its international legislation nowadays. I think if a few others have been through the same process on here, I might be inclined to just upload them to my account.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Oh, I didn't realise I could just assign a credit card, will look into that. To be honest I liked the protection Paypal afforded me and I'd needed it a few times.

I managed to get hold of a person/chat box and she/it told me I had to send the details or it would stay limited and I wouldn't be able to close it either. Quite draconian really but maybe its international legislation nowadays. I think if a few others have been through the same process on here, I might be inclined to just upload them to my account.
I don't see any other option…seems very hit and miss who they pick on.
I wonder why they don't ask for this in when you open an account?

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I had something similar a couple of years ago where they limited my account till I provided some proof, I can't remember any details that clearly as it was a few years back now, but I have heard of them doing this to folks many times over the years & seems a standard though very random thing.

EDIT - memory just kicked backin a little, I remember mine was due togift payments & they wanted to know why there were so many Vs standard payments & I had to provide some evidence to prove they were indeed family & friends, must have been a fair while ago as it was the gift option then not F&F like it's been for some time now.

I imagine as long as the info is going directly to them via secure means you should be ok, they seem to be very much a law unto themselves though.

For instance they have blanket banned anything vaping related & simply frozen 100's of accounts of vape traders, that includes their own personal accounts not just their buisines ones, all due to the laws in the states rather than the ones in the UK as paypal are U.S based, sheer madness.

Those with those frozen accounts (some buisinesses with a lot in them & reliant on it for their living) are having to wait 6 months before they can have access to their own funds.

UKS

Jedi Knight
I had that with our work account. I believe there is some new US law causing it.

Mikeyt27

Youngling

Most likely this is because PayPal have to comply with money laundering regulations. Nothing to worry about, they are confirming your payment methods are valid & that you are the owner of the bank account associated. You can then go about your business Heisenberg 😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom