Premier League 2019/2020 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I saw the starting 11 today and felt like crying. Ok its the FA Cup and I think OGS has been told its top 4 or your out, but ffs when will he learn that 5-3-2 does not work and we only have 11 players at best that are top 4 contenders.

All this without a goalkeeper, one of my stray hairs would have stopped that second goal. Everyone knows now if you want to beat De Gea just smack the ball at him and he will do the splits, while watching the ball go past him.

Spurs have done us a big favour, Utd still need two results. :?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
And a massive win for Spurs against Leicester today, although still need to beat Crystal Palace next week to secure Europa League (or a few results to go our way.) What could possibly go wrong on the last day of the season, Newcastle 2016 anyone!?

Is that for 6th? That's the stupidly early qualifying rounds for you then!

theforceuk said:
I saw the starting 11 today and felt like crying. Ok its the FA Cup and I think OGS has been told its top 4 or your out, but ffs when will he learn that 5-3-2 does not work and we only have 11 players at best that are top 4 contenders.

All this without a goalkeeper, one of my stray hairs would have stopped that second goal. Everyone knows now if you want to beat De Gea just smack the ball at him and he will do the splits, while watching the ball go past him.

Spurs have done us a big favour, Utd still need two results. :?

Nah, Leicester are gone. Assuming you can avoid an implosion like theirs (ie assuming OGS sticks to his best/only decent 11) then you're fine. They have half a team out and a manager who knows FA beyond how to blow hot air up player's arses.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Well top 4 battle couldn't be much closer, Sunday will be nerve wracking. Still dissapointed with Utd though it should be done and dusted.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Useless stat of the day, Spurs have taken more points from the last 5 games than any other team:

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 10.30.16.png

Still some work to do to secure Europa League next season, and it's a shame the no-shows against Bournemouth and SFU a few weeks ago have cost us CL. But I think we're finally seeing some progress under Jose, even with the lack of options they're starting to look a little more solid at the back. Honestly, I prefer watching the ruthless counter attacking football we've seen for the last few games than Poch's '10 midfielders' approach that pretty much guaranteed a goal every time the ball went in our half. I wonder how much the lack of Dier has had to do with the recent improvement!?

I won't mention Arsenal, seeing as they were so humble for 20 odd years ;) But I'm definitely going to put a bet on them fluking the FA Cup.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Oh and forgot to say, Leeds and West Brom back in the PL. Who else do you think is going to make it? I quite wanted Forest back up as it's been 20 odd years, but they somehow managed to concede an 8 GD swing last night!

Richard_H

Grand Master
All I can say is that Liverpool thoroughly deserved to win this and no other team except Wolves, Burnley and Sheff United and maybe Brighton can hold their heads up.

Next season will be interesting for Man City - Losing Kompany last season has clearly hit them. No Silva plus whoever else goes. This will be a true test of Pep...one that Mourinho couldn't manage at the clubs he has been at so far.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed, it's been a funny old season. Liverpool are better than everyone else by a mile, although can they keep it up, they seem to have taken their foot off the gas already. Man City are definitely on a decline, but the only way is down when you're as good as they were a couple of seasons ago. Man Utd have just about pulled off a decent season due to a solid run of recent results, I'm sure they were mid table a couple of months ago.

I always thought Leicester, Wolves and SFU were punching way above their weight and it was only a matter of time until they started slipping down the table, good spirit doesn't make up for having zero world class players forever. And as I said in a previous post, they're only near the top of the table because three of the 'big six' have been playing so badly with 20 odd points less than they usually take.

Both Arsenal and Spurs have been through a lot of turmoil with new managers, injuries, stale players etc, so although neither will be satisfied with where they are, do they really deserve to be any higher? Not really IMO. Let's see how both do next season with (hopefully) some new players and without the excuse of a manager taking over mid season.

And fluke of the season has to go to Chelsea, how on earth Frank has pulled off top four with no experience and the same '10 blokes plus Hazard' minus Hazard and a couple of school kids is beyond me.

At the other end of the table Norwich never really had any hope of staying up, the other two spots are still TBC but I can't see Bournemouth escaping. And quite honsestly they don't deserve to be in the PL, they've been up for three or four years now and are still playing in a stadium smaller than most League One clubs, OK you can understand them not going mad in the first season but where's the investment?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Sorry I desagree Richard_H :lol: If Chelsea end up with top 4 and the FA Cup I think you have to say Lampard has done a good job. Same if Man Utd were to finish top 4 and win the Europa League, OGS will and should be happy.

If your talking about the clubs in general, then yes with the recources Man Utd and Chelsea have stunk, they should be doing better over a period of seasons, (maybe not Chelsea as they have consistently won stuff) but that's down to the owners. You really couldn't expect Chelsea or Man Utd to finish above City and Liverpool this season, or get close to them?

Yes Chelsea or Man Utd could finish 5th, but that would be after 38 games and only 37 have been played. Its a results business.

Blades, Wolves and Leicester will all get relegated in the next 10 years, I'm pretty sure Chelsea and Man Utd will still be battling for trophies long after.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Agreed, it's been a funny old season. Liverpool are better than everyone else by a mile, although can they keep it up, they seem to have taken their foot off the gas already. Man City are definitely on a decline, but the only way is down when you're as good as they were a couple of seasons ago. Man Utd have just about pulled off a decent season due to a solid run of recent results, I'm sure they were mid table a couple of months ago.

I always thought Leicester, Wolves and SFU were punching way above their weight and it was only a matter of time until they started slipping down the table, good spirit doesn't make up for having zero world class players forever. And as I said in a previous post, they're only near the top of the table because three of the 'big six' have been playing so badly with 20 odd points less than they usually take.

Both Arsenal and Spurs have been through a lot of turmoil with new managers, injuries, stale players etc, so although neither will be satisfied with where they are, do they really deserve to be any higher? Not really IMO. Let's see how both do next season with (hopefully) some new players and without the excuse of a manager taking over mid season.

And fluke of the season has to go to Chelsea, how on earth Frank has pulled off top four with no experience and the same '10 blokes plus Hazard' minus Hazard and a couple of school kids is beyond me.

At the other end of the table Norwich never really had any hope of staying up, the other two spots are still TBC but I can't see Bournemouth escaping. And quite honsestly they don't deserve to be in the PL, they've been up for three or four years now and are still playing in a stadium smaller than most League One clubs, OK you can understand them not going mad in the first season but where's the investment?

Sums it up well, I agree with pretty much all of it.
Though it is interesting to note how bucked Utd's team looked in the last 2 games. Ole has a good starting 11, dodgy keeper&CB's apart, but he has very little beyond them, and he has had to play them to get Utd in to this position. Given it has been 2 games a week for a few weeks now it's no wonder they look bucked.

The last two CL spots could well go to the tallest dwarves.

One thing is for sure, Utd have a big summer ahead of them. That squad needs strengthen. I'm still no fan of Pogba and await his latest tantrum. And there is still dead wood to cull. As do Arsenal, lose Aubamayang and they have massive problems. Miss out on Europe altogether and they may struggle to attract players of the standard they want, given the lack of funds for fees and wages.

I still can't see Jose working at Spurs. He is yesterday's manager. And a cheque book manager as well.

Chelsea could be great fun to watch next year. Zihaic from Ajax, Timo Werner and Haevertz rumoured. Add them to Pulisic and they midfield and forward options they have and that is a seriously impressive attacking unit. And then you come to the defence and keeper. It's going to be like having Keegan's Newcastle back. "**** defending, let's just score one more than the other team!"

City have to buy a CB, and probably a LB too. Someone to cover Fernandinho would be an idea too, he is 33/34 now. Silva going means more pitch time for Foden. The loss of experience/class will hurt, but Foden does look a class act.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Told you Utd would come 3rd. Twas a shite game though. Neither side looked CL standard.

Sad to see Bournemouth go they just left it too late. Good riddance to Watford.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Nither looked like CL standard, just like Liverpool in 2005 when they lost their first 3 group stage games and ended up winning it!!! :wink:

14 points Man Utd were behind 3rd at one point, its a results business, :lol: I'm glad Villa have stayed up.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Ohh aye, I said as much to a Utd supporting mate. They don't look CL standard but that doesn't mean they won't do anything in it.
I suspect qualifying for the CL and the money/prestige it brings will help Utd attract better players. I think I heard if they missed out on CL this yr a lot of the sponsors were entitled to cut the fees they paid by a large %. So a double boost for Utd.

I also suspect that is/was a sliding doors moment for Leicester. That could well be their chance gone. They won't get another season where Utd, Chelsea, Arse and Spuds are all so **** for so long. That CL money and prestige could have helped them cement a place at the top table. Now i suspect they will drift back to mid table obscurity. They have a few big name players who are starting to get on a bit too. Vardy, Evans, Schmeichel. A lot easier to replace them if you have CL.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Lets face it no one will say Man Utd are doing well until they win the league or european cup and that ain't happening next season and you would be a brave man to bet on them winning either of them in the next two seasons.

I think the present set up will not do it.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm, possibly. Though had Utd had, say, the season City had. Had they come second, dished out a good few hidings, played some great football and still been in he CL, then I would probably Have said they had done well.

They just seem to be limping along ATM. Partly that is cos OGS is culling dead wood but I still just can't picture him as a long term successful manager at Utd.

On another note. Villa stayed up by 1 pt. the point they got from goal line technology NOT working at SU. Had it been turned on (seriously, how can you have goal line technology that isn't turned on!?) they lose that game 1-0.
All other following results staying the same (yes, I know they would have tried to attack WH more) and they are tried with Bournemouth on Pts. They have the same GD too. Villa would have stayed up by light of having scored 41 goals, to Bournemouth's 40.

In the end the non goal at SU didn't affect relegation, but it was damn close. The FA REALLY need to get their act together. Stupid mistakes like not turning on goal line technology, or for balance, giving Utd a penalty against Villa when Fernandez clearly fouls the Villa CB, can end up costing teams their PL status. Status that is said to be worth £200m.
If you are going to use technology you have to make sure it works properly. It not being turned on, refusing to over rule a clearly wrong pen decision, and never telling the ref to look at the monitor, just isn't acceptable. The FA are asking to be sued if they keep ****ing it up.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I can't see Bournemouth escaping. And quite honsestly they don't deserve to be in the PL, they've been up for three or four years now and are still playing in a stadium smaller than most League One clubs, OK you can understand them not going mad in the first season but where's the investment?

Interesting point that. When was the last time you saw a PL club expand their stadium?

Arsenal, Leicester, Saints and Sunderland (I know not PL) have all moved to new stadiums, City and WH inherited stadiums built for international events and Spurs well kinda half moved and half didn't. But bar Liverpool a year ago, I can't remember many PL clubs expanding their stadium. It may be a tainted memory but I swear in the early to mid 90's loads were expanding the stadiums left right and centre. I certainly remember Utd, on more than one occasion, and Chelsea doing it. Ditto Liverpool. Now, part of that may have been due to removing standing areas post Hillsborough, but still, I'm struggling to think of many clubs who have expanded a stadium in the last 20 yrs.

Is it easier to just move and build a new, cough soul-less cough, stadium!?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I completely agree, but it's not exactly an even playing field is it it? It's ok for Man City to be owned by a similar group but not Newcastle. I know their is probably more to it than that, but still.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The Qatari gov are virtual woke liberals compared to the Saudi's.
SA doesn't let women dive. Or leave the house without a male relative as a guardian (a 7/8 year old male child can be classed as his own Mother's guardian, without out him she gets whipped snd thrown in prison). They don't exactly respect human rights for homosexuals and I think the death penalty is fairly widely used.
Qatar is no nirvana, but it is a lot less bad. "Better" def isn't the word.

I do think Ashley is a tosser though and he has caused Newcastle a tonne of problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom