Premier League 2019/2020 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
and OGS getting found out tactically by better/more experienced managers

For me that is the headline of this season. I just cannot fathom how Lampard, OGS and to an extent Arteta have managed to get (or near enough) top five with NO experience. Just let that sink in. There are managers in the PL with decades of experience struggling to get in the top half - Spurs, Everton, West Ham etc. How the hell have they done it? Is management a myth and it's all about the players now?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Yeah he signed Maquire, he was expensive but Utd were held to ransom, what do you do? Someone else would have signed him for that and we would still be looking for a half decent centre half!

What he should have done is laugh at Leicester, tell the, to **** off snd keep their fat plodder and got on the phone to de Laurentis at Napoli and given him 60m for Koulibali (spelling). The guy is a beast, genuinely top quality, and available for less than a fat lad who happens to have a handy nationality.

theforceuk said:
He also signed Wan-Bissaka, Dan James and Ighalo.

He has got rid of some that needed to go, I agree Smalling should have stayed. The fact that Smalling's gone but PHIL JONES is still on the pay role is mind boggling.

I can only assume Jonesy is there cos ehhh no one wants him and they cant get shot. AWB has been solid, he is crap going forwards but a very very solid defensive RB (unless he is against Bobby Firmino in which case he gets roasted, again). Dan James, hhhmm. Jury is still out really. He started with a bang but has tapered off badly. His early form was a blip, compared to his record at Leeds (?) but he did look very good. He is young though so I'll give him more time. I wouldn't call him a success or a failure though.
Ighalo, did a job, when you needed a striker. Fair enough. Not sure he would have been my choice but I don't know who they tried and who was available. Either way he did what Utd wanted/needed him to do, so fair enuf.

theforceuk said:
I know what you saying about OGS being out of his depth, but I think more young managers should be given chances like that, imagine if Barcelona had never given Pep a chance, Zidane at Real Madrid would they have been as successful as they have been if they had started their careers at Cardiff?

Possibly true, but then from what I hear Pep is "a student of the game". He has always studied tactics and formations etc and has been chatting with his various managers. Zidane may be thr same. Ditto OGS. Though I'm not sure .i can picture
Fergy sitting down and explaining his tactical decisions to anyone.

I take your point on young managers, and god knows I'm sick of seeing the same failed twats back every time someone gets in trouble. Fat Sam, Moyesy, Steve Bruce, Pardew, Mark Hughes, the list goes on. These boys are all failures. All should have been put out to pasture 10 years ago. I'm not necessarily sure that means young and inexperienced managers should get the jobs though. For every Pep, Zidane (whose domestic record with Real was, relatively speaking, piss poor) and Eddie Howe, I can name you 3 or 4 John Barnes, Paul Ince, Tony Adams, Stuart Pearce, Alan Shearer, Gary Neville, Graham Souness, Steve Keane etc.

edd_jedi said:
weasel said:
and OGS getting found out tactically by better/more experienced managers

For me that is the headline of this season. I just cannot fathom how Lampard, OGS and to an extent Arteta have managed to get (or near enough) top five with NO experience. Just let that sink in. There are managers in the PL with decades of experience struggling to get in the top half - Spurs, Everton, West Ham etc. How the hell have they done it? Is management a myth and it's all about the players now?

Maybe we are looking at it the wrong way. Maybe they are all "Managers" as opposed to "coaches". They watch training and listen to their coaches so they know who is doing well. Then they just worry about actual management. They have that many analysts at clubs now I dare say they all know what tactics work best against what side. It is still surprising how well they have done. I guess all have had money to spend too. That REALLY helps. Just ask Jose

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Apart from Klopp and Pep who is tactically astute that has the players to back it up? It's just as much about recruitment if not more, Man City have won the league with 3 different coaches, Chelsea with 3 or 4. Jose was and he still thinks he is, but he's out dated.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't post on this thread as ii find it difficult to take myself sway from the alliegence to Man Utd as a fan of old my father in law ( sadly gone now) my son my wife and even my MIL we are all fans fro th mid eighties and love the team

As a Utd fan I think given his stage in his manegerial career Olly has done a fantastic job so far
The facts are Liverpool were so close last season and have won it this season and I doff my cap to Klopp who has worked wonders for the team and the fans fair play but Liverpool need to carry on season after season now and they probably will but if Olly end up with 4th or poss third and European football next season and a shot at the FACup irrespective of what's gone on that will be a super achievement and can only bolster confidence moving forwards
Let's face it Fergie was THE manager whatever you say you can't debase what he achieved at UTD and he is a is an impossible act to replicate but Utd fans love Olly for sentimental club reasons but also for what he is achieving at UTD

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Agreed Michael Sith , wish I was as good as you at putting it in a nut shell. We are playing exciting football, giving youth a chance, just need to add some trophies now. Not easy though.

You can wax lyrical about style of play, signings, green shoots, luck, VAR, clean sheets, tactics and what not. At the end of the day it's a results business........

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Apart from Klopp and Pep who is tactically astute that has the players to back it up? It's just as much about recruitment if not more, Man City have won the league with 3 different coaches, Chelsea with 3 or 4. Jose was and he still thinks he is, but he's out dated.

Ancelotti is a great coach/manager. **** knows what he is doing at Everton. The likes of Hassenhutl and yer man at Brighton are good tactical managers, but they lack the resources. And of course we have "The Chosen One" :lol:

Granted OGS has done better than I expected. I think I had him and fat frank both down to be fired by xmas. I'm still not sure how well he will do long term. But he has done well shifting the dead wood and finding a formation that works. Wether that was by skill or pure luck, actually doesn't matter. And "yes" Fergy was an impossible act to follow. Though **** knows why they let him pick his successor and why he picked Moyesy....

Michael Sith said:
I don't post on this thread as ii find it difficult to take myself sway from the alliegence to Man Utd

The more the merrier on this thread. It's just us talking crap about football, and god knows it is definitely normally crap! No one gets too involved or het up. We all know, it's only a game and our opinions are only that. "Ours" and "opinions".

Feel free to chime in more often. We won't laugh at you, though I will laugh at your team when they lose lol. :wink:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
theforceuk said:

Ancelotti is a great coach/manager. **** knows what he is doing at Everton. The likes of Hassenhutl and yer man at Brighton are good tactical managers, but they lack the resources. And of course we have "The Chosen One" :lol:

Granted OGS has done better than I expected. I think I had him and fat frank both down to be fired by xmas. I'm still not sure how well he will do long term. But he has done well shifting the dead wood and finding a formation that works. Wether that was by skill or pure luck, actually doesn't matter. And "yes" Fergy was an impossible act to follow. Though **** knows why they let him pick his successor and why he picked Moyesy....

Michael Sith said:
I don't post on this thread as ii find it difficult to take myself sway from the alliegence to Man Utd

The more the merrier on this thread. It's just us talking crap about football, and god knows it is definitely normally crap! No one gets too involved or het up. We all know, it's only a game and our opinions are only that. "Ours" and "opinions".

Feel free to chime in more often. We won't laugh at you, though I will laugh at your team when they lose lol. :wink:

Hopefully that won't be too often but.....

Laugh it up Fuzzball :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Now where the hell was that Tottenham performance when they played Bournemouth and Sheffield United?! It's nice to know they can still play football, but if it takes a North London derby to make them do it, then something's seriously wrong somewhere. I'm not grumbling about today's win, as it's most welcome, but they've been so lacklustre for pretty much a season and a half, I still wouldn't be surprised if they don't qualify for Europe this year, even if Shitty's ban gets upheld.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That was the first Spurs game I've enjoyed for a while. In fact it's the first North London derby I've enjoyed in years. It was a pretty close game, either side could have edged it, but I enjoyed it because it was simply a decent game of football. Apart from Aurier making three mistakes in five seconds leading to Arsenal's goal, it was a pretty solid performance and one of the first times under Mourhino's management where they actually looked like they knew what they were doing.

As you say, where was that effort for the last two games, if they'd put in a shift in those there might have been something to play for still.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Wow Leicester really had a meltdown, that's one of the craziest 10 minutes of football I've ever seen!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
To much to talk about! I agree weasel why was Fergie aloud to pick his successor and why DM? Who is successful long term these days? Will any of these managers still be around in 10 years?

I was hoping the relegation battle would ignite at some point, I really want Villa to stay up. Have a feeling Bournemouth and Villa May have left it to late though.

Good win for Spurs, where do Arsenal go from here? Shocking from them. Leicester will be relegated in the next couple of seasons. :eek:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I love how when any Arsenal manager loses a game against Spurs (Wenger was the same) rather than graciously accept defeat they start spouting utter nonsense. Arteta's interview:

I was really proud of the way we dominated the game.

Which match were you watching? They weren't dominant where it counts - shots on target. I can think of plenty of games Spurs have had 75+ possession and lost, it counts for nothing

An individual error cost us. When you are so dominant you have to kill the game.

Oh, you mean like Aurier giving you the ball three times in 5 seconds leading to Lacazette's goal? (which was incredible, but he never should have had that shot.)

And again what dominance, you were in the lead for two minutes :lol: killing off the game :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'm pretty ambivalent on City winning their appeal. Financial fair play was designed to stop clubs like City and PSG from buying their way to the big boys table and helping themselves to the spoils (ie CL money). It was dressed up as an attempt to stop clubs over spending so they don't do a Leeds/Pompey/Bury. But it was just the big boys looking after themselves. From that point of view, it stinks, and I am glad it has all but been killed off by that ruling.
At the same time City ARE buying their success and that does cheapen it IMO. Although I guess the counter argument is that the big clubs have it all sown up and it is all but impossible to break into the top bracket without a billionaire owner.

I hope this forces UEFA to reexamine their competitions and the affect they are having on European domestic leagues. PSG on course for a 5th Ligue Un on the trot, Juve for an 8th consecutive Scuddeto. Bayern have just won their ninth consecutive Bundesliga title. Real and Barca have won the last 20 odd La Liga's. The excitement there is edge if the seat stuff. Fans love nothing more than a title procession and debating whether Bayern/PSG/Juve/Celtic will win it by 5/10/20 points. It's what makes sport so great :roll:

The knock out stages of the CL are great entertainment. BUT you know from the start who will be in it. The group stages are a dull formality designed to milk the TV punters and feed the coffers of the big clubs. Ohhh look a Real side with 6 changes won 3-1 against Andelecht. How exciting.

They need to find a way to make the group stages more interesting. Removing seeding would be a start, who doesn't want to see a group of Real, Juve, Bayern and Pool? So what if two of them go out!? Equally, so what if we get two of Clug, Celtic, Benfica and PSV going through. Variety is nice. Bar the English sides it is the same old same old every year. Tv audiences are starting to catch on and viewing figures are dropping. Once advertisers realise this UEFA will have a problem.

As for the EL, it exists purely as a way of placating the lesser nations. "Ohh look if you win it you could get in the CL (but just don't look at the difference in prize money we are giving you compared to the big boys in it)." But it also serves as a back door for any "big" side who somehow manages to stuff up their rigged group. That way they still have European football, get a little more money and a chance to requalify.

It's all a farce and City winning their appeal just shows that.

Ps, I told you Utd would come 3rd, that Leicester were done and Brendan was a confidence merchant, where have we seen one of his sides implode in sight if the finish line before?!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Ps, I told you Utd would come 3rd, that Leicester were done and Brendan was a confidence merchant, where have we seen one of his sides implode in sight if the finish line before?!

I didn't realise the league had finished! :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Have you seen the remaining games? It may as well be.

Yeah I know I think Chelsea will beat Liverpool, Liverpool's season is over. No one really cares about points total or records and that has been proven since Liverpool were comfirmed Champions. I think Utd will finish 4th, Chelsea 3rd. I can see Utd dropping more points away to Palace on Thursday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom