Photo Tips

shawn_k

Sith Lord
I saw some members were wondering about how I took Joe's photos, so I thought I'd share my setup and a few tips.

I use a light tent like this one that I picked up from an electronics store going out of business a few years back. However you can build your own DIY with some instructions here.

Here's a picture of my setup to take a picture of a Squid Head figure.

lightbox.jpg

I do use a DSLR in manual mode for my photos, but you should get similar results with the right settings on a point and shoot. You'll just have to dig out the manual. You'll also notice that I have all other lights off in the room which is important for having full control of the lighting. Also, never use the flash.

These are some settings that I recommend, but you'll want to experiment a bit. I'd suggesting using Aperture priority mode which most cameras have. In basics, the lower the aperture number, the more blurry the background is. Also, the lower the number, the more light the camera is able to collect as the iris is more open. In this example, I chose an aperture of f5.0 which was good enough to keep the squid card/figure in focus, but also blur the blue background a little. In aperture priority mode, your camera will figure out the other settings for you, but I also had to set shutter speed and ISO.

The other setting to make sure of is white balance. With my lights, they give off a yellow tint, so I use the Tungsten white balance setting on the camera, so it know to compensate for this. Basically, with white balance you are telling the camera what color is white, so it gets the colors right. Most cameras have an auto mode for this setting, but they don't ever seems to get this quite right, so I'd recommend using a preset like I suggested or going the extra mile with a custom setting which you can learn how to other places on the net.

I do a little minor tweaking with software afterwards. The main things I do are straighten, crop, and some minor adjustments as needed. I use Apple's Aperture for this, but iPhoto would also work. If you're on Windows, Lightroom would work or probably Gimp as a free alternative. Here's a screenshot of Aperture with the Squid Head after I've made my tweaks.

thumbs_aperture.png

and finally, here's my exported photo, ready to share.

squidfront.png

I hope this helps. I'm by no means a photography expert, but it has become a hobby and I've been learning a few things as I pick them up over the years. I figure we could use this thread for any questions and anyone else that has any tips to share.

jackabina

Sith Lord
not bad shawn! .............or.................
you could always do what i do:
step 1 - dim all the light's (or wait until the evening)
step 2 - find matching colour background, to make object item merge with backdrop
step 3 - point mobile phone at subject
step 4 - close eyes and..............bingo!
step 5 - **** about on photobucket, trying to transfer image

perfect!

S4010104.jpg

jackabina

Sith Lord
:lol: that's the whole point to my photography, an air of mystery :lol:
the figure in question is salacious crumb.

Joe

Grand Master
weasel said:
Would have worked better if the pictures were still there! :lol:

You obviously didn't see the pictures before they vanished lol!! Let's just say it's probably better they are gone :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I don't remember them. I just liked the irony of you bumping a thread on how to take decent pictures, where the links to the pictures were broken :lol:

shawn_k

Sith Lord
weasel said:
I don't remember them. I just liked the irony of you bumping a thread on how to take decent pictures, where the links to the pictures were broken :lol:

I've been having some issues with my name servers this week. The pictures are still there, but on occasion are going down. I'm hoping the service I use for those will get it sorted soon.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just bought myself one of these light tents to take photo's for Insurance and my own referance.

Can anybody help me with good software for tweeking photo's, as in straightening, sharpness, etc, etc.

I dont have a Mac so a programme on Windows please.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

x-pack

Grand Master
Photoshop Elements 9. Superb little package and can probably be bought (or copied) fairly cheaply these days. I don't know of any free ones. If you aren't seriously into photography i wouldn't bother with the full blown Photoshop as it's too complicated for beginners.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom