Peak Oil - End of the World as we know it in our lifetime?

Are we headed back to the pre-industrialised ages?

• Yes, we're all fooked. Not a damned thing we can do - we'll be squabbling over caves within 50 years

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Its all a load of bollocks, what a stupid thread you've posted Rudyard. Slap yourself!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Have a read of this link if you have time: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Who reckons we're all hurtling back to the stone age? I know its a bit of a 'way out there' subject, but personally I'm slightly worried that there could be something in it. Any scientists or economists out there?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Ehhh I guess strictly speaking I'm an Economist, got a degree in it. Altho I never did much on oil prices etc.
I'd worry more about water than oil. You can always use wind/wave/solar power to offset the loss of oil or the price hikes, plus they can invent more efficent engines etc. Not much you can use to drink if you haven't got any water.
It'll be the Middle East/Sub Continent where it'll kick off as well, there are a few nuclear powers there and a hell of a lot of people. sSmeone will damn a river and leave someone else with a severe water shortage then it'll all get nasty.

My own personal opinion there are far too many people on this planet anyway, with birth rates goin up and death rates stabalising well below the birth rate, I reckon we're all ****ed sooner or later anyway!

Who says I'm a miserable pessimistic bastard? :wink:

jayjedi

Sith Lord
i agree with weasel , there are to many people on the planet, and its getting worse.
so what can be done. in terms of power there are alternatives , wind solar etc and cars can be powered with gases or electricity. also technology will be improved and something will be done. 30 years ago it was "what happens when we run out of coal" and now we dont even mine the stuff, so things change as we must to survive.

stop worrying rudyard, my old re teacher once said " there is no point worrying about something you yourself can do nothing about" ... i live by it :D

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
i have a idea it involves some big bombs and lots of savages :lol:

i see they are now trying to chop their own peoples heads of,,,why ****ing stop them :?

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I'm inclined to agree with you all about the population problems. Too much breeding going on. Check out this site for a giggle http://www.vhemt.org/

I guess what the oil peak website is driving at is that all these alternatives are just supplemental at present and in no way could replace existing oil based energy generation methods. I might be barking up the wrong tree but all these Nuclear stations etc require an awful lot of oil to get them up and running. Solar/electricity will never power a 747 and the fuel cell technology is hardly viable on a mass scale.

Ah well, I guess we'll work out in time. I worry far too much... maybe its just my way of balancing things up to counter my other joyous fascinations such as vintage star wars. Apologies my fellow Jedis for posting such tosh. I'm just having one of those days :shock:

jayjedi

Sith Lord
jabbawokkie said:

i see they are now trying to chop their own peoples heads of,,,why ****ing stop them :?

i know what you mean and i agree to a certain degree, but he was british, fighting for this country in the army . if they had been successful i think there would be a ****ing riot . something has got to give.... this government has bent over so much its almost a disgrace to be white english... cant fly the flag, not christmas but festive , no nursery rhymes incase they offend.
this wouldn't happen in any other country in the world , so why does it happen here :? :?:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You got a point there, there are pressure groups or rights groups to stick for everyone except us (hetrosexual, white, British men!)

I know if you go to Saudi or some of the other Muslim country's they insist in public women cover up and are very restrictive about where non muslims can practice their religion.
As is, ofcourse, their right in their country.
Just not sure why we are then called racist/zenophobic/or told we are infringing their human rights etc if we do the same?

Jukesy

Sith Lord
Too little, too late im afraid....

All around here everything that once was shops, schools etc are being knocked down and replaced with houses.

if it isn't over-population its the climate and everything thats associated with it....were all f00ked im afraid.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Assuming for a moment we are all ****ed. An even more serious question beckons: How to protect our vintage star wars collections from gangs of maurauding cavemen? (Jabba excluded who I guess would be one of those doing thr maurauding :twisted: )
Gonna get me a big dog thats what

jayjedi

Sith Lord
Rudyard said:
Assuming for a moment we are all ****ed. An even more serious question beckons: How to protect our vintage star wars collections from gangs of maurauding cavemen? (Jabba excluded who I guess would be one of those doing thr maurauding :twisted: )
Gonna get me a big dog thats what

same way i protect against burglers.... 42 " katana sword next to my bed . i dont care what the law says , if you break in to my house where my kids sleep i will stick you with it :wink:

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Smooth mate. That'll work I guess. Just gotta watch you don't skewer yourself getting up for those middle of the night dumps[/quote]

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
i have a chair leg at side of bed ,but if there is a bang or something i jump out of bed charge down stairs without it then relise i am still half a sleep and if anyone was there they would have battered me by the time i had woken up :oops:

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
jayjedi said:
jabbawokkie said:
i got told today the goverment hands money out to them so they get there vote and stay in office

they cant vote yet can they :?

it must be once they are told they can say,he also said when that boat turned up in oz the savages said they will chuck the kids over board and the oz goverment turned round and said not are problem 8)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Jay, I THINK if you get them while they are in your house you can claim self defence. Just say you thought you saw he/she had a gun/knife so you thought of your family and treid to protect them. It's if they are trying to escape/run from your house and you chase them THEN your ****ed.

Although if you kill him he can't exactly argue about whether he was fleeing or attacking you can he?

Dom

Jedi Master
jabbawokkie said:

Are you talking about the Bush Administration?

Latest posts

Top Bottom