Paypal withholding eBay payment?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I just sold something on eBay, and instead of the usual Paypal receipt I got this strange email:

As you can see it says Paypal are withholding the cash for 21 days! It also doesn't show the buyers shipping address. Has anybody else experienced this before?

paypal.png

Ian_C

Jedi Master
I never had a letter like this, but a year ago I had a similar situation. Sold my MOC Yak Face, my GDE DS Commander, and all my carded Droids/Ewoks. They put a hold on all of my funds.

I had to call them, and apparently it was flagged because of the money involved. After speaking to them, they freed the funds within an hour or so.

Paypal can be funny like that Edd. Give them a phone call, and they'll likely resolve it for you. They seem to be better with phone customer service than ebay, for example.

Ian

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks Ian. It is showing up in Paypal and eBay so I'm happy it's not a scam, it just wasn't a particularly large sale (£150) so I'm not sure why they are holding it.

plantman

Sith Lord
ive heard a few of these things happening, its a pain in the ass and another reason why people deal off ebay.

they basically hold money now so they can guarantee recovery of it in the event of an issue, a lot of people shut their accounts down in scams and/or credit card companies reverse charges very easily leaving paypal chasing the money.

its more cover for the buyer and them, seller loses out again!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I'm not sure, but you know when you pay for an ebay purchase it says "pay from PP balance", or "pay from credit card" or "pay after delivery", could it be that someone has chosen "pay after deliver"?, so the funds are in limbo until they've received the item?

It's a pain because my default for some reason is pay after delivery which takes the money from my bank account, whereas I really just want to use the PP balance most times. It's been there about 6 months I think.

timbo72

Sith Lord
I bought a couple of items over the weekend from Ebay. For some reason the payments are pending even though I've got the funds in my bank account. Not sure what's going on and PayPal aren't very fast at answering emails. Strange

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
As a buyer on eBay, about half my purchases are pay after delivery now. I think eBay work out how risky you are as a seller and how risky the item you are selling is using some borked algorithm that decides whether it will be pay after delivery or not.

Jason

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Really?

So you're supposed to send the item off BEFORE they pay for it and then hope/trust PP/Ebay/the buyer NOT to **** you over?

NO THANKS!!!!!!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
As a buyer on eBay, about half my purchases are pay after delivery now. I think eBay work out how risky you are as a seller and how risky the item you are selling is using some borked algorithm that decides whether it will be pay after delivery or not.

Jason

I don't think it's any sinister algorithm, when you go to pay you just pick PayPal balance or pay after delivery, or a credit card (it does for me anyway). So it's the buyers choice.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I also don't think Pay After Delivery withholds the money from the seller.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Finally got my money - I eventually phoned paypal, as a week after the item being delivered and the seller leaving feedback, I still didn't have it. They told me that I had to add the tracking number on paypal (not eBay) AND for the seller to mark it as received on paypal (again not eBay) two things I didn't even know you could do! So just a heads up for anybody else having the same issue in future.

Apparently they hold the cash on such items (shoes) as they are often fake, which I find hilarious as anybody who's been in that boat before will know that Paypal are ****ing useless if you claim something is fake :roll:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom