Other Vintage Collections

Palifan

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
They look fantastic Ian! What year are they from?

Thanks Carl, they were released between 1980-81 from what I can tell and there were also a 9" set of them which I have 4 of (with the last 2 being quite a bit more expensive). These 3.75" ones are really nicely sculpted and although Super 7 make a series of these Universal Monsters now a days, I still prefer these older Remco ones.

They are fairly easy to get in the US but you don't see them so much over here (although they do come up and were sold over here back in the day). All of my collection is from the US with the exception being the latest ones that were from Germany.
Got to love these little guys and their plastic play set.

Ian

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Hi mate that play set is awesome...I've been following and researching the mini monsters with great interest. The sculpt and the likeness of the charachters are exceptional imo. I have all six in loose form they display great with my SW figs. They are mint with the exception of Frankie. The dreaded nose rub. I've read that phantoms cloak has to types of vinyl cloak. One the same as Dracula ( in black) and a smoother one. Is this the case? . My phantom seems to be the smoother version. Can you check your non glow and glow to see if they do in fact differ. Just hoping mine is not a repro. Cheers for sharing mate

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
I believe the 9 inch were released under ideal in the UK. I had the mummy as a kid. Really don't remember the mini monsters though so that's interesting

Palifan

Sith Lord
CRAZYHAZY said:
Hi mate that play set is awesome...I've been following and researching the mini monsters with great interest. The sculpt and the likeness of the charachters are exceptional imo. I have all six in loose form they display great with my SW figs. They are mint with the exception of Frankie. The dreaded nose rub. I've read that phantoms cloak has to types of vinyl cloak. One the same as Dracula ( in black) and a smoother one. Is this the case? . My phantom seems to be the smoother version. Can you check your non glow and glow to see if they do in fact differ. Just hoping mine is not a repro. Cheers for sharing mate

Nice to know there are more of these Remco monster collectors on here and I agree with you on how good the sculpts look on these.

Looking at the two loose Phantoms and one sealed moc one I have, they all have the same style of cape which has a heavy crosshatch texture to both sides. None of them are smooth but it's interesting that the texture is on both side and it's the same as the texture on the inside of Dracula's (the red side). These Phantom capes feel quite different to Dracula's cape as well, almost slightly crispy as apposed to feeling soft like Dracula's (which also feels the same as SW figure capes).

I've never heard of Phantom having a smooth cape but that doesn't mean that he necessarily doesn't. I'll ask around on the Remco FB group to see what people think. Also you're right about the 9" figures being released by Ideal in the UK and I just thought the 3.75 ones were also released over here due to seeing them for sale on the UK eBay over the years but I should double check that to be sure. I do have two Remco Frankenstein 9" boxes (but only one figure), and one is complete with the ring, patch and paperwork. I also have a spare non-glow 3.75 Frankenstein that's pretty mint if you're ever in the market for an upgrade.

I must admit that I don't ever remember seeing these for sale back when they were released but I've always liked the look of them since I discovered them. That's great that you had a Mummy growing up, I would have loved one.

Ian

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Cheers for the great reply and info Ian and thanks for checking with your group.....yep my Phantom cape is quite soft with a very slight x stitch pattern on one side it has a zippy sound. It's the same length and style as Draculas and arm holes are nice n tight. Thanks for the heads up on Frankie may well consider that.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I just love the package design on these , it just has that vintage horror feel to it, just reminds me of being a kid watching the old horror b/w films on BBC2 . Bet they will all look good displayed together :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
I just love the package design on these , it just has that vintage horror feel to it, just reminds me of being a kid watching the old horror b/w films on BBC2 . Bet they will all look good displayed together :)

Totally agree with you on the card art, such a great design and they all display well but I don't have enough shelf space to group them all together in one place unfortunately but maybe I'll have a shuffle around.

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
CRAZYHAZY said:
Cheers for the great reply and info Ian and thanks for checking with your group.....yep my Phantom cape is quite soft with a very slight x stitch pattern on one side it has a zippy sound. It's the same length and style as Draculas and arm holes are nice n tight. Thanks for the heads up on Frankie may well consider that.

After asking around and looking at my sealed moc glow version I can deffinately say that the glow version has texture to the inside and is smooth on the outside so it looks like your cape is probably all good :D

I'm not quite sure how I missed it the first time around (lol), but I am now thinking that my loose glow figure might actually not be a glow one after all, I'll have to go check now.

Always fun doing research and thanks for pointing out this variant as I didn't realise there was one.

Ian

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Ah great thanks for checking . Really appreciate it. I'm glad I can contribute Just goes to show that there is always something new to learn in this hobby . That's why I love collecting vintage toys. 👍

lejackal

Grand Master
Not vintage but I couldn't resist this McFarlane Space Marine

Attachments

• 3E095FBD-D9CA-4A07-8D94-5D90191A6A48.jpeg
    3E095FBD-D9CA-4A07-8D94-5D90191A6A48.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 55

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good visual guide/website for Captain Scarlet toys/figures? Kind of fancy putting a small childhood run of complete figures. I'm currently hunting through my many boxes of childhood tat for my boxed Dinky Spectrum Pursuit vehicle, failing miserably mind you. :lol:

Anyone else dabble in it from time to time?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Sundancer Squadron said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good visual guide/website for Captain Scarlet toys/figures? Kind of fancy putting a small childhood run of complete figures. I'm currently hunting through my many boxes of childhood tat for my boxed Dinky Spectrum Pursuit vehicle, failing miserably mind you. :lol:

Anyone else dabble in it from time to time?
Not Capt Scarlet, but I have a few Thunderbirds modern bits.
If you have any TB that you want to move on please do let me know.

Try these for CS, I've assumed that you are talking modern not the 60s/70s stuff.
http://www.spectrum-headquarters.com/ToysVivid.htm

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=828

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
Modern for me, well late 80s early 90s. I'm currently scurrying about in boxes looking for what I have left from my childhood, as for Thunderbirds whilst I did enjoy watching them and had the odd toy, Captain scarlet was my priority at the time it seems. :lol:

Thank you for the links, ill give them a good looking over.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Not Vintage but TMNT retro

My lad was really into TMNT and he has just bought this as a Christmas present for my Grandson ( who is three! :lol: ) so some gaming for me over Christmas 8)

Attachments

• B4EE605E-20D2-4554-9553-23BFD3B13A4E.jpeg
    B4EE605E-20D2-4554-9553-23BFD3B13A4E.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 121

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:

My lad was really into TMNT and he has just bought this as a Christmas present for my Grandson ( who is three! :lol: ) so some gaming for me over Christmas 8)

Now that is cool 😎😎😎

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:

oh wow

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Had a lovely day with my youngest daughter today, we spent the morning looking around a few local charity shops. Donated a load of CD's and DVD's to the air ambulance. Slim pickings at them all apart from the air ambulance shop where I found this beauty, well chuffed 😁👍and helped out a worthy cause as well.

20201218_172739.jpg

20201218_172757.jpg

20201218_172813.jpg

20201218_172835.jpg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Michael Sith said:

Amazing pick up! What a present, love it.

Top Bottom