New Footage from the Palitoy factory Circa 1983

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
Unearthed some new archive footage from the Palitoy factory Circa 1983, unfortunately there's no sound until 0.56 seconds. Enjoy
1f60e.png

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
One question....Was the Darth Vader's Tie Fighter still being packed in 1983? or has the footage had some earlier clips stitched in? or have i got the wrong date? Looking at the batteries on the work bench do they look more late 70s??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 14.40.42.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 14.40.42.png
    177 KB · Views: 36

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
One question....Was the Darth Vader's Tie Fighter still being packed in 1983? or has the footage had some earlier clips stitched in? or have i got the wrong date? Looking at the batteries on the work bench do they look more late 70s??
The Darth Vader's TIE Fighter had quite a long production run, relatively speaking. The box was updated in later issues to include Bounty Hunter tokens, which certainly didn't exist in its first release for Star Wars. That in itself places it as still being issued (and in a Star Wars box) at least during the ESB toy period, which is of course also confirmed by 1:47 in the video where we see both Slave 1's and DVTF's on the conveyor belt simultaneously :).

As for 1983, I cannot see any ROTJ toys in the video, but that doesn't mean they weren't there, or perhaps that the video isn't from early in 1983 before the ROTJ toys were released.

walkie

Sith Lord
I remember those batteries and I was born in '76 so must have been around in the early 80's

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Really interesting, most of the factory workers look to be in their 50s so are probably no longer with us, but the girl at the end assembling Slave 1's seems to be in her 20s, so possibly still around (although over 60 which is a scary thought!) I wonder what the chances of tracking her down are? After all the guy who put a paper note in a Millennium Falcon was found!

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
Really interesting, most of the factory workers look to be in their 50s so are probably no longer with us, but the girl at the end assembling Slave 1's seems to be in her 20s, so possibly still around (although over 60 which is a scary thought!) I wonder what the chances of tracking her down are? After all the guy who put a paper note in a Millennium Falcon was found!
Wonder if we sent it to Bob Brechin he might be able to remember a name, or show someone who was on production. in 1985 they had 585 staff so might be a big ask.

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
Something really cool that I only recently found out is that the company i work for owned the same machines Palitoy used to seal the blisters onto the cards. Unfortunately the machine was sold off early 2000 as we moved production to China, but i do remember it being used as we used it to seal Electrical accessories under the Wellco brand (I designed the packaging). The machines used were from a german brand called ILLIG. Black & decker also used these machines and Palitoy actually visited there plant up north to see the ILLIG's in action and purchased them off the back of the demo. If my memory is correct there were 2 modulars a forming station that created the clamshell (blister) using a vacuum former and metal moulds then the other part would would seal the blister to the card. The cardback has a special coating of heat seal lacquer which when heated glues the card to the card.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom