Muppet Of The Week

kieatky

Jedi Master
'Muppet Of The Week' - that would be me :?

Little background story. I saw a boxed Snow Speeder for sale on Evil-Bay last week. Description was vague to say the least but the condition was classed as 'new'. Only one photo on the listing which just showed the box so I decided to contact the seller for a few more details. Simple question 'has the box ever been opened?' to which the seller replied 'I think the box has been opened but the contents are untouched'. Fair enough I thought, I'll have a bid and see what happens.

I managed to win the Speeder (I was the only bidder) and the parcel arrived today. I asked my son Josh to take the parcel upstairs whilst I sorted my work stuff out. Josh shouted down asking could he open the parcel to see what was inside, 'yeah of course' I replied, thought it'd be great for him to get a little more involved with vintage rather than the modern stuff.

As I walked into the bedroom Josh handed me a pair of scissors, 'what did you need those for lad?' I asked. 'Well dad, the cellotape on the box wasn't open so I had to cut it' :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've examined the tape on both sides of the box, there's no evidence of any additional tape overlay and it all appears to be original, not very often a 15 year old gets to open a 32 year old sealed toy. :?

So I initially had a bargain MISB Speeder, but at least I've still got a MIB Speeder. I'll honestly say I'm not massively gutted as I bought it with the impression it'd been opened but it would've been nice to keep it sealed, and it's safe to say Josh won't be opening any more items unsupervised :D

Anyway, here's the Speeder in all it's 'open' glory.

014cfa10-3d24-45c1-bf3b-ba3c2244209f.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

c18e6448-ff88-4a87-a928-a8bef2c8bfda.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Wow that looks incredible! On one hand it's a shame as I'd never intentionally open a MISB item, but as it was a mistake it's great to see the untouched contents like that.

At least he had the sense to do it carefully, when I was a kid I would have just ripped the box in half spilling everything over the floor :lol:

Ian_C

Jedi Master
The title of the thread alone made me laugh.

Sucks that an unopened seal was cut, but sounds like if it had to happen, it happened under the best possible circumstances. I put a lock on my collection room door after one of the kids in my wife's home daycare helped themselves to some of my loose figures one day while I was at work. Too many nightmares of coming home one day and having a 12 back liberated from its bubble.....

Oh, and kieatky, sounds like Josh has a bright future at AFA in the U grade department. :twisted:

Ian

kieatky

Jedi Master
Ian_C said:
The title of the thread alone made me laugh.

Sucks that an unopened seal was cut, but sounds like if it had to happen, it happened under the best possible circumstances. I put a lock on my collection room door after one of the kids in my wife's home daycare helped themselves to some of my loose figures one day while I was at work. Too many nightmares of coming home one day and having a 12 back liberated from its bubble.....

Oh, and kieatky, sounds like Josh has a bright future at AFA in the U grade department. :twisted:

Ian

Very true indeed, I must admit I'm not a big fan of MISB vehicles, normally mega expensive and way out of my league. To be honest if I hadn't have walked in on Josh with the scissors in his hand I would never have known any different so no loss to me personally.

spoons

Grand Master
Great story - a shame it was opened but I agree MISB doesn't do much for me either. Look at those contents :shock:

indianawars

Sith Lord
It was a fantastic bargain mate, so luckily no loss in the money department for you :) you'd have been gutted if you paid full blown MISB price and this had happened :eek: Beautiful piece sealed or not fella.

Jez

Sith Lord
I can only Echo base whats been said already dude, it was a bargain and still is in my opinion. It could have been worse, it could have been Torn taun open! Snow speeder joke.
However, I bet you must have been in a right Hoth afterwards.
Chin guns up mate.
Oh i groan at my own failed attempt to be funny. I give up.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
You jamy git for that price! Nice score and so nice to read the story, seeing everything mint like that is priceless. :shock: :)

kieatky

Jedi Master
Jez said:
I can only Echo base whats been said already dude, it was a bargain and still is in my opinion. It could have been worse, it could have been Torn taun open! Snow speeder joke.
However, I bet you must have been in a right Hoth afterwards.
Chin guns up mate.
Oh i groan at my own failed attempt to be funny. I give up.

Now I've hit the big 40 my eyes must be going, I didn't notice your little play on words, and even when I did I had to squint to read them :lol:

stormcab

Sith Lord
I only had to read "I sent him upstairs with the box" and my stomach turned haha.

Tough one with boxed items, as you never know 100% if it's in there. That's why I'm a MOC kinda guy. Personally if I got into vehicles I'd be the habit of opening to check. I'm pretty sure with all the tutorials on Youtube it would be easy to fake a bit of sellotape.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Seeing that stunning minty speeder with the unused sticker sheet I think your boy has done you proud - you would never have opened it and yes a MISB is something special but every single person that has clicked on this thread has been stunned by the contents of that box :D

Worth pointing out you've got your head screwed on the right way as both a collector and a Dad - well played mate, very well played.

x-pack

Grand Master
I was expecting a much worse ending to the story. Mistakes happen. Neither of you were to know. Nice piece :)

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Fantastic price on that and much as I can appreciate a MISB it's lovely to see what's inside. Let's just call it serendipity :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom