Moment of Terror

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As some of you know, I only have a small display in my office which consists of three shelves. The rest of my collection is safely stored away in plastic boxes and star cases. Yesterday I was at work as usual when my wife phoned me, and could barely speak from shock. I could just about figure out her saying "leak from upstairs" to which my first response was "take the rubbish out of the bin and use it to catch the water."

A few minutes later and now the water was going in the bin, I got a few more details. The leak was in my office, and going all over "my stuff" :eek: I immediately asked exactly what stuff, and thankfully the answer was "your computer." Phew. I'm gutted my old Amiga got wet, but it should dry out. And what definitely wouldn't have dried out was my collection of MISB vehicles and several of my most expensive MOCs :oops:

This was a lucky escape. Six inches further back and the best part of ten grands worth of vintage would have turned in to a slushy mess. It turns out the guy upstairs left the bath running and fell asleep :roll:

A couple of lessons learned from this - get acrylic cases for my vehicles, and don't put all my most prized MOCs in one place!

leak.jpg

display.jpg

yoda

Sith Lord
That really would have been a mess if the leak was above them. It's giving a really cold winter so that's made me aware now don't store anything near water pipes. You wer very lucky regarding the mocs but unfortunate about the computer but easily replaced.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
You don't have a lot of luck Edd. :?
Glad it was mostly ok in the end.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
You don't have a lot of luck Edd. :?

Haha tell me about it! So far I've had the "your collection has been stolen" and "your room has been flooded" calls while at work. Still, a guy in my office got a call from his mum today telling him his dad had died, so in the grand scheme of things this is fairly insignificant.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
That's a close call indeed but glad your collection is alright. You're going to need a giant sack of rice to dry an amiga out though!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
i am glad to read that it was only the amiga that got water and not the star wars toy. Not that I do not care about amiga. I love amiga I have 4 amiga computers :D

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Good point to remember, if you live in a flat find out where the bath is in the flat upstairs. And if you live in a house, never store your collection under a bathroom.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
I was getting anxious just reading your post. Whew, that was a close call. Glad your SW stuff was undamaged Edd.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Bloody hell, if it's not a friend nicking your collection it's some numpty flooding your house! I would have to move all that stuff now, knowing their is a bath directly above it all. :lol:

Glad it's all safe and nice display. :shock:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
I've had nightmares myself since reading this thread! :shock: :?
Know what you mean.
I started looking where the water tank etc. Was in relation to where my collection is!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Glad nothing irreplaceable was damaged!

I assume he or his insurance company r paying to fix your flat! I wonder could you claim from him/them had ur SW stuff been ruined.

subzero

Sith Lord
This is one of the reasons why I'll stay well clear of living in a flat for the rest of my life lol, idiots can ruin you, iv'e heard about way too many stories of dopey morons leaving taps on upstairs. I had a work mate years ago got the exact same call while in work too and had to bail from work and race home on his push bike because the guy living above him left taps on and completely flooded his flat out.

Glad to hear though all your stuff is fine, it's the stuff of nightmares to imagine such a thing happening!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I live in a flat and had something close to this happen. Though it was my shower that was leaking into the flat below. It had been going on for 18 months and the tosser below never thought to mention it to his landlord, management company, or me. There was mould the whole way up the way, it literally looked like the room had been painted black, instead of the off white it was. There was no sign of any leak in my flat, a pipe in the wall had a small hole and each time I used the shower it was leaking down onto his roof and running down the sides of his walls.
Had that been me I would probably have mentioned it. Like straight away. I sure as **** wouldn't have continued to live with a bathroom that was literally covered with mould, the guy from the management company said the four walls were all furry, he called it 'furry wallpaper'. Twat boy below me lived like that for 18 months.
The scary thing was he was a ****ing surgeon! If he was just some feckless moron I could maybe understand it but this guy operated on people every day and saw nothing wrong with living in a flat with furry wallpaper. People amaze me at times.

Needless to say we had some interesting discussions with the owner of his flat. Especially when they sent me a bill for a new wardrobe and new units for the kitchen, cos obviously they were in the bathroom!? :roll:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
I came home one day in my old flat and water was pouring down the kitchen wall. I knocked up on all the flats directly above me. Only one wasn't in and it was coming from there by a process of elimination. I spent the next 5-6 hours just moping up the water as it came down the wall, and calling on my neighbor every 15 mins. Finally they were in. They just had a new washing machine, had put it on and gone out. The cowboy installer didn't connect the outflow pipe to anything...

:eek:

Jason

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom