Long Time suspected FAKE baggies scam / seller

finestcomics

Padawan
Stuart Skinner said:
finestcomics said:
I'm assuming Jeff's reference to a "friend" who he sought advice/help from is Frank - why wasn't Jeff allowed to say his name?

If you keep listening we do allow it

Thanks for responding. However it sounds like Jeff was muzzled because he keeps asking "am I allowed to say the name." Was this a self-imposed thing, or did someone request it. And if so, who?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just finished listening. Jeff doesn't sound like a faker to me. Sounds like he bought a lot and resold them, as he's been a major buyer/seller of baggies for donkey's years.

Jason

finestcomics

Padawan
Appreciate you guys providing a platform for the other side.

I've listed my takeaways after hearing this podcast below:

- Probably should have made a distinction on "returns/refunds" because complaints can stem from condition of the baggie (splits, dirty, discoloured), and actual "suspect" baggies. I'm sure even reputable sellers on eBay have to deal with a ratio of 90% good, 10% returned, especially when you're selling in a hobby where people want to have stuff graded, aren't happy with the assigned grade, or just the run of the mill flakes and time wasters. Throwing them aside in a bin if they are split, discoloured, foggy or have a faded ink impression doesn't necessitate it being taken out of circulation or to not be sold.

- The span of time of 4 years Frank gave where a dialogue began of notifying Jeff about fakes seems to contradict the endorsement Frank gave on RS less than 3 years ago, calling Jeff an honest seller. Frank sort of addressed it when I shared the quote on page 10 of this thread, but it's absent of the context where he really went to town in that RS thread to defend Jeff, including the stern and repeated warnings to Mark about the harm naming/shaming does to a sellers reputation - advice he didn't seem to follow himself here.

- Beyond him sounding sincere, Jeff's story is consistent with his past posts (which includes email responses shared publicly), manner of addressing issues brought to his attention by disatisfed buyers, and a willingness to refund. With this podcast, we've also been told that he cooperated with what sounded like a "sting" operation on the guy at FF. The community having it's back up over TT doesn't make it right to drag someone's name through the mud via heresay and an absence of evidence he produced any of these baggies. In the face of this thread, the point of contention for me remains that this should have been done in a way involving Jeff, and only escalating it to a naming/shaming IF either there was a signficant pattern of "suspect" baggies directly coming from him, or if he was unwilling to refund.

- Some of the accusations need to be proven - the burden is on this investigative team to provide this. If they can't, the "team" needs to issue a statement of retraction or correction. Jeff didn't seek legal advise or counsel to even speak about this publicly, so it's proper the accusers follow up on these claims or remove them from public record for posterity and accuracy.

The positives are we have a visual reference for comparison, and a seller who seems to be willing to cooperate if any "suspect" baggies are in his possession, and if he is ultimately asked to take them out of circulation. He's even suggested having someone go to his place and see them being taken out of their baggies and/or being destroyed.

Not only Jeff, but there is no excuse moving forward for anyone to sell these now.

I'd also hope the same "team" who started this are being equally vigilant in monitoring online selling environments to put any person being caught selling these through the ringer.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
finestcomics said:
Stuart Skinner said:
finestcomics said:
I'm assuming Jeff's reference to a "friend" who he sought advice/help from is Frank - why wasn't Jeff allowed to say his name?

Thanks for responding. However it sounds like Jeff was muzzled because he keeps asking "am I allowed to say the name." Was this a self-imposed thing, or did someone request it. And if so, who?

We never told Jeff he could or couldnt say any name, he was being ultra cautious as he didnt (IMHO) want to drag anyone in. I never had a scooby on who he meant until half way through when he mentioned it. But we did say that he should just go ahead and say names and if there was anything contentious we could redact. But I dont believe that occurred. Rich edited out a bit of rambling and waffle.

maxf

Jedi Master
Finished listening

Personally I doubt he made them but I do think he knowingly sold fakes - possibly because he didn't believe they were fake.

He seemed rather unwilling to destroy the fakes which were sent back to him. Careful use of 'not purposely' sold on. He says at the end that he disagreed with Frank on some baggies not being right, and kept them in his collection - there isn't a big stretch there to selling them again, if he admits to not believing they are fake.

Edited to add, that the above is just my opinion and gut feel from listening to the podcast. It would be great to hear Frank's side.

finestcomics

Padawan
naughtyjedi said:
finestcomics said:
Stuart Skinner said:

We never told Jeff he could or couldnt say any name, he was being ultra cautious as he didnt (IMHO) want to drag anyone in. I never had a scooby on who he meant until half way through when he mentioned it. But we did say that he should just go ahead and say names and if there was anything contentious we could redact. But I dont believe that occurred. Rich edited out a bit of rambling and waffle.

Thanks, appreciate you clarifying.

Lindo

Sith Lord
sounds like a mistake has been made listening to the podcast, comes across as a genuine guy who is clearly stressed to hell with the whole situation

Richard_H

Grand Master
finestcomics said:
Stuart Skinner said:
finestcomics said:

Not at all. Jeff was constantly asking if he's allowed to name people with nothing from us. At first we weren't sure if some good people (like Marc H) would want to be named who aren't in the original post but then we thought - nah go with it.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
After listening, I am in the opinion that he hasn't manufactured the alleged fakes himself.
Just my gut feeling.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
maxf said:
Finished listening

Personally I doubt he made them but I do think he knowingly sold fakes - possibly because he didn't believe they were fake.

FWIW I agree. He seems straight enough but then I don't know him from Adam. What he says though is that the returns got checked and either opened or quarantined if he wasn't sure, but didn't knowingly resell. If someone comes back and says they want a refund it's their knowledge and experience against his. He may disagree, afterall the buyer may be trying it on or had buyers remorse, we've all had some know it all want a refund for silly reasons. So when (as he states) known baggie experts buy from him and are happy then if you valued their knowledge and experience you would assume they are legit.

Personally I dont think he made them and very possiby didn't even sell them intentionally.

jay4

Jedi Knight
In over 15 years & about 4- 5 thousand vtg starwars buy dealings on ebay worldwide I've only been burnt by 3 separate sellers, 1 A notorious moc faker,you know who! & a guy in the states over some repro weapons many moons ago before they were all the rage & This guy jec10c or whatever it is. One was a Rebel commando about 5 years ago & the other was a Hoth Probot baggie a year or 2 ago . I noticed at the time others had left grievance regarding the reb commando but I never bothered as it seemed cheap & I wasn't sure on the probot until several months later when I resold it & had it returned to me as having been in an undocumented baggie, I know little or nothing about baggies but these 2 were wrong uns!

Those hand painted ones. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WTF!

RobbieZombbie

Youngling
2 questions to think about...
1. If Jeff is NOT manufacturing these baggies then who is?
2. Was this a one time sale from the seller who Jeff bought them from and that seller blew his load all at one time? Or is this person still out there making more?

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Am I right in thinking that the "hand painted" kenner baggie of which a pic was posted in this thread as well as the red stickers meccano baggies are meant to have been sold by Jeff?

If so, one thing I would seriously question is how someone who has a thousand baggies and has been collecting them for so long isn't able to spot the blatant fakes that have been posted on this thread. Especially if they have other examples they can use for comparison??

I'm not suggesting that those in question were made by Jeff personally but if he did sell them and didn't spot they were fake, he is either completely naive (which I fail to believe given his past dealings in the world of baggies ) or he knowingly turned a blind eye.

maxf

Jedi Master
Caswellbot said:
I'm not suggesting that those in question were made by Jeff personally but if he did sell them and didn't spot they were fake, he is either completely naive (which I fail to believe given his past dealings in the world of baggies ) or he knowingly turned a blind eye.

That's where I'm at. The talk of not needing the money doesn't sway me - I know millionaires who are tight as arseholes! Towards the end of the interview he also mentioned spending thousands and not wanting to lose money.

Lee Bullock

Jedi Knight
I have spent time thinking about this... I know Jeff through Marc Hockley and the FF events. I have already found Jeff to be a lovely bloke without a bad bone in his body. If Jeff Glanville is a scammer and a faker then I have no judgment of character at all. I have listened to the podcast and my feeling is that Jeff has been collecting without good enough knowledge base. Does that make Jeff a bit naive - probably... Does it make him a scammer in my opinion - NO! Jeff's mistakes has had some repercussions on the hobby but this isnt like McWilliams/Toy Toni/Billy Boy. Jeff goes to shows where at any point he could be called out. If he was faking these do you think he would do this, given that McWilliams/Toy Toni/Billy Boy disappeared off the face of the earth? With respect to Jeff he is a placid, non-confrontational guy who I think wouldnt want such confrontation if he was knowingly selling fakes.

Please - can we cool our jets, and let Jeff make amends here. Really the best way for this to go is for Frank and a VR representative to go to Jeff's place and audit his stock.

Jeff is a friend to many here, including myself - lets not turn this into a witch hunt.

Peace out

Lee

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
3 questions seemed to be asked numerous times.

Did you make fake baggies?
Did you knowingly sell fake baggies?
What do you do with any alleged fake baggies.

Beyond this it doesn't seem there was much else you could ask.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom