Interesting customs charge

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I just got a figure through with the value marked at $30, and they've whacked an £18 customs charge on it. I thought that:

a) You don't get charged for items under $30
b) If you did get charged, it would be at a rate less than 100%!!

I don't get it - the breakdown is VAT £10, and handling £8. How is VAT EXACTLY £10 on a $30 (£20) figure!?

plantman

Sith Lord
It has to be marked a gift mate i think. otherwise its anything under £18 that gets through free.

£38 if its marked as a gift.

Also they can open it and get their own value, they then charge you based on their valuation.

Anything to rip you off.

Paul-itoy

Jedi Knight
If it was marked as a 'commercial item' they factor the postage into it too.

Just got one totalling £39.00 on a £130 figure. Gutted really as it takes the fun out of it arriving.

Stuarte76

Youngling
It's a rip off, I bought 2 modern figures from the states for £14 plus postage which put it just over the £18 limit, seller didn't mark it as a gift so had to pay £3 customs, oh and royal mail £8 to handle it. Robbing b*stards!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
As the others have said it's just a way to bleed more money out of you.
Especially that £8 "handling" charge. HOW do they even get close to justifying that?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm most interested at how they work out a £10.00 VAT charge on a $30 item... I think somebody plucked the figure out of thin air! :evil:

plantman

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I'm most interested at how they work out a £10.00 VAT charge on a $30 item... I think somebody plucked the figure out of thin air! :evil:

You can ring them up and question it, if you can be arsed that is, but they probably do this on every parcel, thats a fair few quid over the space of a year....theiving twats

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Edd,

That VAT/Customs charge is completely wrong!

Anything under the value of £18 is ok but if its marked as a gift,you're allowed up to £40!

IIRC the VAT/Customs charge should be about 15-20% which is nowhere near the £10 you were charged,you can ring them up & query it & they'll tell you to send the labels/paperwork you got with the charges on it & they'll refund you the difference,sadly there's nothing you can do about the £8 handling charge! :roll:

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
:shock: jesus thats steep,, in ireland we dont have postcodes yet but we dont have custom charges either,, well not any that are enforced!

if anyone wants to ship here and i will post on, thats cool if it helps. :)
as i have had a few packages now from the U.S. and not one penny more than the postage.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks guys, good to know for future reference but I can't be arsed to get involved in writing letters etc for the sake of a tenner. Still bloody annoying/criminal though.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Thats bloody daylight robbery Ed and they know that most people wont contact them disputing it, twats! It's a tough one because it is alot of hassle to right to them and then they send you round and round in circles.

Sorry to hear that dude.

plantman

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Thanks guys, good to know for future reference but I can't be arsed to get involved in writing letters etc for the sake of a tenner. Still bloody annoying/criminal though.

Thats the exact reason they do it right there...who can be arsed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom