Interested in collecting vintage space lego

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Recently my parents dug out my old lego stuff and it seems I had a lot of space lego.

I might be interested to start collecting these in some way.

Does anyone collect or know someone that collects these and can provide me with a few tips?

Just testing the water here.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I collect then.

Have most of them in fact.

Anything in particular you wanted to know?

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks Gary!

Any pitfalls, websites I could check for reference and prices, difference in pricing between boxed and loose stuff, that sort of thing.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Still got my Lego Space Monorail set and have wanted to add to it with some other sets.

I signed up to Brickset to browse the FS threads and checked out ebay. Some of the larger sets can be pricey but they look great.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you end up with and what you've currently got :)

sith-smith

Grand Master
Capetown said:
Thanks Gary!

Any pitfalls, websites I could check for reference and prices, difference in pricing between boxed and loose stuff, that sort of thing.

Ok, firstly decide which range you want. There are several different space series. I just went for classic which is basically the sets with the single colour spacemen (White, Red, Yellow, Blue and Black) This is the older run

The monorail...which is an awesome piece...does not belong to the 'Classic' series, but is a piece worth having. There are two very different types of mono rail..the second is a much darker looking one!

Bricklink is a good reference guide as to what pieces fall into each series. Here's the Classic run...

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=S&catString=34.314

Generally speaking they aren't impossible to find though there are a few I'm still trying to get for a reasonable price boxed. All of mine are boxed but I've never been interested in Sealed. Some of the rarer boxed ones for quite a few hundred. Loose ones start much less obviously.

You may also want to consider the state of the box. Often on the smaller ones the end flap is completely missing. With the larger boxes you might want to consider whether the pastic tray is present or the plastic film under the lid is still intact. Collecting loose has none of these worries,

A quick eBay search will throw hundreds your way.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Here's some I picked up recently

I580 is a fairly tough one!

20150514_180541_zps7swki1or.jpg

20150529_132542_zps9qyrwvte.jpg

1968 is probably the toughest one to find and is the most expensive one I've ever bought

20150514_182710_zpsof9vqviv.jpg

102_1677_zpsdvzrpxz3.jpg

mumbo

Sith Lord
Impressive 8)

Yes the range I was on about is the later series (I think 87 onwards), I'll start collecting these sets at some stage.

I know my brother and nephew are collecting the vintage sets and have a few. I recall he did say some of those sets sell for quite a lot.

sith-smith

Grand Master
That's the 'Futuron' range.

They are a pretty cool range and of course contain the infamous monorail 8)

Alongside them is 'Blacktron' which are very cool looking sets

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Ah, great, guys, thanks!

I'm definitely going to look for boxed stuff in the classic range, which is the range of my childhood. My childhood lego is currently with my 8 year old nephew, who's loving it and taking good care of it (he says :? :lol: ).

Any worry about repro stuff?

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Oh, forgot to ask, which are best ebay search terms to use?

Edit: for boxed I mean. "lego space classic box" is not producing a lot of returns.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Capetown said:
Oh, forgot to ask, which are best ebay search terms to use?

Edit: for boxed I mean. "lego space classic box" is not producing a lot of returns.

Better off using "vintage". you could try "80's", "old" or "retro" which may occasionally throw up some sets

sith-smith

Grand Master
I always tried vintage space lego. Worked well. Then try putting in the serial number for specific pieces that are harder to find.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I remember these! I had some sort of spaceship, might have been 6931.I used to like the clear cockpit canopys and the fact they looked quite different to all the other lego. Nice collection Gary, cool pieces.

sith-smith

Grand Master
The sets are cool. But they do look very dated when compared to modern lego.

Mind you I think that's one thing that gives them charm! 8)

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
An update. I've acquired quite a few sets since starting this thread. Will take some pictures someday soon. :)

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Space lego this brings back memories, seems like only yesterday. Wonder if any of the figures are still in the loft hmmm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom