Have I bought a repro cape?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Hi Jeremy, a reply as promised once I'd consulted with the variant guys.

According to Wolff the earliest capes don't have the cross hatch or zipping sounds as far as he can remember from his research. My research into Leia Organa also concluded this.

As the light paint apps Tusken only comes on very early 12a cards from what I recall, I would say this may well be a good sign.

As for length I would not worry. From my research into cape length on Lando Calrissian cape length as well as cut and hole position and size varies from factory to factory. On top of that other mitigating factors such as water used to flatten out creases, as well as extremes of heat and temperature can cause capes to shrink.

I have posted your pics up on a variant chat and no one has said repro. It certainly does not look hand cut which was the only thing one person asked me to double check with you.

I personally think you're ok but do not own a 12a light paint app Tusken to conclusively say 100% one way or other, but I understand concern if you have paid a lot for it.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Hi Jeremy, a reply as promised once I'd consulted with the variant guys.

According to Wolff the earliest capes don't have the cross hatch or zipping sounds as far as he can remember from his research. My research into Leia Organa also concluded this.

As the light paint apps Tusken only comes on very early 12a cards from what I recall, I would say this may well be a good sign.

As for length I would not worry. From my research into cape length on Lando Calrissian cape length as well as cut and hole position and size varies from factory to factory. On top of that other mitigating factors such as water used to flatten out creases, as well as extremes of heat and temperature can cause capes to shrink.

I have posted your pics up on a variant chat and no one has said repro. It certainly does not look hand cut which was the only thing one person asked me to double check with you.

I personally think you're ok but do not own a 12a light paint app Tusken to conclusively say 100% one way or other, but I understand concern if you have paid a lot for it.
Hi Jay,

Many thanks for the reply. The cape that came with this figure does in fact make the zipping sound on its smooth side. The other side does not (which is fair enough), however that is also the unusually textured side, which is what I have never seen before. Also, as stated in my reply yesterday, the cape smells completely different to my other vinyl capes; it simply doesn't smell of the same type of plastic, and also has a much stronger smell, which I would of course expect from a newer piece of plastic.

As for the cut, sadly there are now die-cut repro capes for sale on eBay, and whilst I haven't bought or knowingly own one, the fact that this one doesn't seem to be hand cut must be considered inconclusive with regards to whether it is repro or not, I feel.

My own opinion is repro, however I am as always very happy to be corrected by those more expert than me. Therefore, if you were willing to pass on the extra info above to the variant guys regarding the cape having the zipping sound, but also a textured side, and also the fact that it smells totally different (and more strongly) than known vintage originals, I would be grateful. If it should transpire that it is in fact a vintage original after all, I will of course contact the seller and give him back the £15 refund he sent me.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom