Have I bought a repro cape?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I recently bought a nice light brown Sand People figure that was advertised as being all original, including the cape. The seller advised that 'This is the rare, 1st issue variant that was only released on the first run of 12 back A cards', although he was referring mainly to the light brown paint, not the cape.

It arrived today, and it's lovely, however I have some concerns over the cape. I own a lot of Sand People variants, and the capes on all of my figures are smooth on both sides, but with the characteristic zipping noise you would expect when you run a fingernail across one side of them. However, whilst my new figure does have a smooth inner surface to its cape which does make the zipping noise, the outside surface has slight texturing I've never seen before. It seems to be the right colour (perhaps a touch lighter than most of mine, but not by much at all), and also seems to be the right thickness.

I must stress that the seller has very high, 100% positive feedback, and also that (to my knowledge) I have never owned a Sand People figure from a 12A back before, and so this cape might be 100% original and correct. However, because I have never seen one like it before, I thought I would ask for your help to try to confirm whether it is indeed a vintage original, or whether (and I hope not) it is a repro.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jeremy

Sand People - 01.jpg

Sand People - 02.jpg

Sand People - 03.jpg

lejackal

Grand Master
I would, as a lay man, expect the textured side pictured to be the zippy side. Sadly all I have to hand is a known repro cape and nothing else to compare it to.

lejackal

Grand Master
CFF466A2-DBB4-4079-BBEE-D8898BC04DFF.jpeg
0E5F3FEE-92BF-475C-989E-BA5E4082E7E4.jpeg

This is glossy on one side and matt with a slight texture but no zip on either. I'm not entirely sure either way but the tails are telling

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Here's my 12A MOC. Tricky to get good pics, but here you go. I'll be honest, I'm not too sure about yours....

Attachments

• 20210810_202614.jpg
    20210810_202614.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20210810-202534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-202534_Gallery.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210810-203002_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-203002_Gallery.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 47

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks Carl. Your repro cape is consistent with those that I have seen for sale, in that they are smooth on both sides. That's what really confuses me about my one, because if it is a fake, it's a bit baffling why they would make one side so clearly textured...

lejackal

Grand Master
My Vader I would guess is from a 12a as he has a lettered saber and they are thought to be early.

this is the outside of the cape and does not zip
7FB5A533-A576-42BA-B10C-4336E2A32618.jpeg

this is the inside and does zip
FB9705F9-4CA4-4DD5-8FA2-A3184ED6E124.jpeg

id say the outside (non zippy) is more textured in appearance

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I'm sure I've seen a Vader with a cape like this before as well.

If you zoom in on my second pic, that's what the zippy side should look like.

lejackal

Grand Master
And my Ben (non lettered) is also zippy inside and non zippy outside.

Attachments

• 17DD35BF-EB6A-47E5-A0E5-CCE1FAB2039D.jpeg
    17DD35BF-EB6A-47E5-A0E5-CCE1FAB2039D.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 316DD50A-1FB4-4473-B519-7C9B453C4697.jpeg
    316DD50A-1FB4-4473-B519-7C9B453C4697.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 40

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
My Vader I would guess is from a 12a as he has a lettered saber and they are thought to be early.

this is the outside of the cape and does not zip
View attachment 106423

this is the inside and does zipView attachment 106424

id say the outside (non zippy) is more textured in appearance
Yes, that Vader cape definitely has some texture to its non-zippy side. My one almost looks like it has its texture running in lines down the full length of the cape, which yours doesn't seem to have. Hmmm... it's not looking good for my one so far :(

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And my Ben (non lettered) is also zippy inside and non zippy outside.
Thanks again. I'll wait a day or so just in case another member suddenly produces an original cape like mine, but to be honest, I rather think I'll be sending the seller a message about this one :(

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
You might find a bit more info here-
@walkie is a contributor
Thank you. I did try looking on both there are also TIG to see if I could find a cape like mine, however Variant Villain doesn't appear to have any vinyl capes (or gaderffi sticks for that matter) listed yet. I imagine the site is still in the process of being added to.

lejackal

Grand Master
Thank you. I did try looking on both there are also TIG to see if I could find a cape like mine, however Variant Villain doesn't appear to have any vinyl capes (or gaderffi sticks for that matter) listed yet. I imagine the site is still in the process of being added to.
Ah, I hadn't checked where there were with it. @TheJabbaWookie i think is the Jamie on the list of sexiness (contributors)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks again for the replies everyone. Here's a quick update for you.

I have finally had enough time to remove the cape from the figure, and to also remove a known vintage original cape from one of my other Sand People figures, in order to do a side-by-side comparison of the capes. The results are absolutely conclusive, I'm afraid. It is unquestionably a repro :(

Not only is it slightly the wrong shade of sandy brown, and has that highly suspect texturing which none of my other genuine capes possess, it is also far too short. It also fails the 'smell test' for vinyl. My genuine capes still have that glorious and distinctive aroma reminiscent of when people of my age first tore open their Star Wars figures back in the 1970's and 80's and smelled the plastic goodness inside the clear bubbles. Even after all these years, vintage original capes usually still retain their original smell, albeit diminished somewhat. The cape that came with this figure has a completely different and incorrect plastic smell because it is not made of the same type of plastic.

Anyway, I have messaged the seller and included these photos (the repro is on the left! :)), so let's see how he responds.

Sand People - 04.jpg

Sand People - 05.jpg

Sand People - 06.jpg

Sand People - 07.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And this morning the seller refunded me £15 which I have already used to buy myself an original vintage cape to replace the repro. The seller was absolutely fine about it. He apologised for the error (which I believe to be a genuine one, given his stellar feedback), so all's well that ends well :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom